Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
IMO it's still not bad to look at drafting a potential Kadri replacement though in the first round.

Yes it's not urgent but after this season Kadri will have 4 years left. That would give a nice 4 years of development time for whomever they draft so that when Naz is a pending UFA, wanting a bigger deal, the Leafs have options coming through the minors to replace him. Particularly because the cap structure of the team will be a lot different and young quality players on ELC's will be invaluable.

brooks

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Except we already have a pretty damn good goalie prospect in the system. Taking goalies in the 1st is a massive gamble and rarely worth it. There development paths tend to be way too rocky. Just look at how most teams starters were acquired. Here is how it broke down for the 16 teams that made the playoffs.

Montreal: Top 5 pick
NYR: 7th round pick
Ottawa: Traded for
Boston: Traded for but was a 1st rounder
Washington: 4th rounder
Toronto: Traded for
Pittsburgh: 3rd round pick
Columbus: Traded for, was a UDFA
Chicago: 2nd rounder
Nashville: 8th round (would be undrafted today)
Minnesota: Traded for former 1st rounder who bounced around and was waived once
St Louis: 2nd Round
Anaheim: 2nd round
Calgary: Traded for
Edmonton: Traded for was a UDFA
San Jose: Traded for, was a UDFA

Looking at this, we have just as many starting goalies who were undrafted free agents as we do of goalies picked in the 1st round. Another one of the drafted goalies, round doesn't exist anymore. Dubnyk was even on waivers at one point.

Compare this to how teams acquire their best center or defenders, it shows its probably best to allocate your high-end picks to those positions.

i 100% agree with you

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
what are you on about?

fehr
smith
goat

what am i on about?

i listed roster players who will be in the lineup (ie:NHL calibre) you listed 3 players who wont be in the lineup, Smith is AHL depth he ownt be playing in the NHL, Fehr same thing and plays more wing anyway and te goat is out until after xmas and may never be a nhl regular.

I was replying to a different poster who said our C depth is alarming and referenced when we played JVR at C

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
what am i on about?

i listed roster players who will be in the lineup (ie:NHL calibre) you listed 3 players who wont be in the lineup, Smith is AHL depth he ownt be playing in the NHL, Fehr same thing and plays more wing anyway and te goat is out until after xmas and may never be a nhl regular.

I was replying to a different poster who said our C depth is alarming and referenced when we played JVR at C

well you can make assumptions that neither smith or fehr won't be our starting 4th line C , i won't

but guess what , thats all we have under contract and they both play C and maybe they only have to hold down the fort till goat is up to speed.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
well you can make assumptions that neither smith or fehr won't be our starting 4th line C , i won't

but guess what , thats all we have under contract and they both play C and maybe they only have to hold down the fort till goat is up to speed.

i think you are misunderstanding my original post man, add them in if you like fine, but my point was we arent in the same situation C depth wise as we were when we used JVR at C and traded a 2nd and Jesse Blacker for peter holland (a desperation move)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
i think you are misunderstanding my original post man, add them in if you like fine, but my point was we arent in the same situation C depth wise as we were when we used JVR at C and traded a 2nd and Jesse Blacker for peter holland (a desperation move)

well, i was just pointing out that you omitted

what as i see ATM as our top 3 4th C candidates

given who we have under contract

IMO our C depth is the best i have seen in 40+ years of following this team

we came close when we had sund/gilm for a very short time.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
well, i was just pointing out that you omitted

what as i see ATM as our top 3 4th C candidates

given who we have under contract

IMO our C depth is the best i have seen in 40+ years of following this team

we came close when we had sund/gilm for a very short time.

sure, im willing to bet they get a UFA 4C rather than use 2 washed up guys or a guy who is seriously injured and wont skate until december at the earliest

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
sure, im willing to bet they get a UFA 4C rather than use 2 washed up guys or a guy who is seriously injured and wont skate until december at the earliest

seeing that we only have 8.6m cap

with brown/hyman to ink

no back up tender

maricin/marchenko as our 3rd pairing (ya ya maybe dermott, the swedeners)

not even sure if fehr goes down, we get any cap relief from his 2m.

fehr as our starting 4th C looks very plausible to me and smith as the marlie call up.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown

with brown/hyman to ink

no back up tender

fehr as our starting 4th C looks very plausible to me and smith as the marlie call up.

We have ~$7.8M in cap space right now, but that's with both Horton and Lupul on the cap, as well as Fehr, Soshnikov, Smith, Leivo, Brooks, Marchenko and Marincin. There is no guarantee that any of those 7 are still on the NHL roster come October, never mind all of them. Assuming they're all sent to the Marlies, that's an extra ~$5M in cap space (~$7.8M if we find a way to trade Fehr, Marincin and Marchenko), which brings us closer to $13M in cap space with only Brown and Hyman as NHL RFAs. I don't see them making more than $3.5M combined, on bride deals, wich brings us closer to $9M, before placing Lupul and Horton on LTIR.

At that point, some creative roster management means we have ~$15M to spend on UFAs. If you use up most of that space, you get the most out of LTIR by sending everyone who is waiver-exempt to the AHL and then recalling them the day after you LTIR Lupul and/or Horton. Things could also be made easier by unloading Lupul's insured contract on Arizona, depending on what it'd cost for them to take him.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We have ~$7.8M in cap space right now, but that's with both Horton and Lupul on the cap, as well as Fehr, Soshnikov, Smith, Leivo, Brooks, Marchenko and Marincin. There is no guarantee that any of those 7 are still on the NHL roster come October, never mind all of them. Assuming they're all sent to the Marlies, that's an extra ~$5M in cap space (~$7.8M if we find a way to trade Fehr, Marincin and Marchenko), which brings us closer to $13M in cap space with only Brown and Hyman as NHL RFAs. I don't see them making more than $3.5M combined, on bride deals, wich brings us closer to $9M, before placing Lupul and Horton on LTIR.

At that point, some creative roster management means we have ~$15M to spend on UFAs. If you use up most of that space, you get the most out of LTIR by sending everyone who is waiver-exempt to the AHL and then recalling them the day after you LTIR Lupul and/or Horton. Things could also be made easier by unloading Lupul's insured contract on Arizona, depending on what it'd cost for them to take him.

i'm not positive but i believe parts of fehr/marin/marchenko still hit us, even down there.

till i see them traded away, they are part of the cap calc.

and you just removed 7 players bringing us down to 15 contracts and 13m cap space.

need to fit 8 contracts into 13m

so - 3.5m brown/hyman

1m back up tender

leaving 8.5m for 5 contracts and only 4 D men and 3 Cs on that roster

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
IMO it's still not bad to look at drafting a potential Kadri replacement though in the first round.

Yes it's not urgent but after this season Kadri will have 4 years left. That would give a nice 4 years of development time for whomever they draft so that when Naz is a pending UFA, wanting a bigger deal, the Leafs have options coming through the minors to replace him. Particularly because the cap structure of the team will be a lot different and young quality players on ELC's will be invaluable.
I'm fine with drafting a center in the first. Just saying that there is no real rush to force us into locking in on drafting one position. I'm just in favor of going BPA, especially with our 1st and 2nds if we hold on to these picks. There are guys like Veleno, Allan McShane, Liam Foudy, Delleandrea, McBain, Khovanov, Wahlstrom, Oloffson, Kupari, and Kotkaniemi to keep an eye on. The very top of the draft though is quite light on center, which may lead to teams desperate for ones taking reaches leading to some of the excellent defensive depth to slip.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Could anyone who has seen any of the following D provide their opinion?

Xavier Bouchard
Calen Addison
Ty Smith
Noah Dobson
Jared McIssac
Danil Galenyuk
Giovani Vilatti
Jett Woo
Bode Wilde
Quinton Hughes
Owen Lalonde

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ty Smith is a good offensive defenseman with a lot of high end skill out of Spokane. Sub 6'0" though, so he may not make the 1st round. Lalonde wants a trade out of Sudbury. That's all I certainly say about that group.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

with brown/hyman to ink

no back up tender

Domonic Moore.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
i'm not positive but i believe parts of fehr/marin/marchenko still hit us, even down there.

Things have obviously changed since these comments, but regarding this part of your comment, yes, they do still count, but you gain ~$950k cap space for each of them that you send down, hence the difference in cap relief that I stated between sending them down (~5M) vs. trading them (~7.8M).

Anyways, this isn't really the thread for this convo, I just wanted to clear that part up.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Could anyone who has seen any of the following D provide their opinion?

Xavier Bouchard
Calen Addison
Ty Smith
Noah Dobson
Jared McIssac
Danil Galenyuk
Giovani Vilatti
Jett Woo
Bode Wilde
Quinton Hughes
Owen Lalonde
I havent seen a majority of these players play, only a few from the dub a handful of times.

Jet Woo: Very solid two-way d. Played in Moose Jaw's top 4 this past season and didn't look out of place as a rookie. Conservative, smart reads, quick feet, makes the safe plays consistently from my viewings. He's pretty thick for a 16 year old too at 6' 200 lbs, and it shows when he gets involved in puck battles. He's not as dynamic offensively like Morgan was in Moose Jaw, but he's showed more defensively at the same age imo. I'd say he's more or less on par with him at the same age as a prospect imo. Could very well be a top 15 pick next year.

Calen Addison: Smaller Defensemen then Smith, but the first thing that stands out for me is his explosiveness and his speed. He's only 5'8-5'9 atm, but he's a thick kid and he competes hard physically for an undersized 16 year old and has impressive strength. I don't know if there are any holes in his game other than he's small. Heady with the puck, makes good reads in his own end, really deceptive when retrieving pucks in his own end as he's both explosive and elusive. I think there's a chance he could sneak into the first round, as he's already making a big impact offensively and defensively as a 16 year old. One of my favourite Dub players along with Woo in the draft. Checks all the boxes you want from an undersized dman.

Ty Smith: One of the better Bantam players I've watched in recent years. Really good with the puck on his stick. He's a very heads up player, always on a swivel, and that bodes well with his vision and skating ability as he's able to buy time for himself and open up a lot of options for himself under pressure. He's a smart player too in that he always seems to be thinking a few steps ahead of the play. My only issue is that he can get tossed around at times as he's not physically mature at this point. Could stand to add more power onto his shot, but that will come with added strength. I think he'll project to more of an offensive dman at the next level.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
My guess is 18th next year.

Since it is early could you show me the layout , 18 deep for next year? Cheers.

And we aren't weak at C exactly, since Nylander/Marner can(could) play C. All we really need is a very good 4th/ potential-3rd line C, since he won't be playing very much. We could sure use a star Goalie ( Price etc.). One of those means a 12 year playoff run. If Andersen got seriously injured? Ouch!

Number one need: Goalie, Andersen only has 4 years left.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thought this might be of interest for some if they want to check out some of next year's top prospects. It is region blocked in Canada, but I'm sure the tech savy people can figure out away around that.

http://u18worlds2017.iihf.com/en/live-stream/

There are a bunch of notable prospects at this event. Here is a quick list.

Russia
Andrei Svechnikov (projected top 2 pick)
Ivan Muranov
Gregori Dedov
Danila Galenyuk
Yevgeni Kalabushkin
Mikhail Bitsadze

Switzerland
Nico Gross (Top 60 player)
Nando Eggenberger (top 60 player)
Philip Kurashev (top 60 player)
Tim Berni
Davyd Barandun
Gillan Kohler
Stephane Patry

Finland
Jespari Kotkaneimi (Top 20 pick)
Rasmus Kupari (1st rounder)
Jesse Ylonen (fringe 1st rounder)
Toni Utenen
Oskar Atio

Canada
Ty Smith (top 10 pick)
Jet Woo (top 10 pick)
Jared McIsaac (Top 10 pick)
Ty Delleandrea (1st Rounder)
Akil Thomas (1st Rounder)
Alex Gravel (Goalie top 60)

United States
Brady Tkachuk (top 10)
Oliver Wahlstrom (top 15)
Joel Farabee (top 15)
Quinton Hughes (1st Rounder)

Czech Republic
Filip Zadina (top 10 pick)
Jakub Skarek (Highly regarded goalie top 60)
Dominik Pavlat
Ondrej Buchtela
Filip Kral
Krystrok Hrabik
Martin Kaut
Jachym Kondelik

Thats it for major countries. Milos Roman on Slovakia is also considered a fringe 1st rounder.

Edit: Forgot Sweden

Sweden
Adam Boqvist (top 15)
Jacob Oloffson (1st Rounder)
Isac Lundestrom (1st rounder)
Adam Ginning
Samuel Ersson

Last edited:

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
This year's first round could be loaded with RHD prospects. Will be interesting to note their progress throughout the year

Bode Wilde
Ryan Merkley
Adam Boqvist
Jett Woo
Evan Bouchard
Xavier Bouchard
Calen Addison
Ty Emberson
Dennis Busby
Noah Dobson

The draft has been lacking in top RHD prospects for the past few years, but 2018 can be as loaded as 2008 was in that regard.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Thanks for the run-down ^, definitely going to be catching some games.

Tkachuk, Boqvist are two guys I have not seen in action yet. Looking forward to seeing how they fare.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
This year's first round could be loaded with RHD prospects. Will be interesting to note their progress throughout the year

Bode Wilde
Ryan Merkley
Adam Boqvist
Jett Woo
Evan Bouchard
Xavier Bouchard
Calen Addison
Ty Emberson
Dennis Busby
Noah Dobson

The draft has been lacking in top RHD prospects for the past few years, but 2018 can be as loaded as 2008 was in that regard.

I am thinking we need to draft a few centers in 2018.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Thought this might be of interest for some if they want to check out some of next year's top prospects. It is region blocked in Canada, but I'm sure the tech savy people can figure out away around that.

http://u18worlds2017.iihf.com/en/live-stream/

There are a bunch of notable prospects at this event. Here is a quick list.

Russia
Andrei Svechnikov (projected top 2 pick)
Ivan Muranov
Gregori Dedov
Danila Galenyuk
Yevgeni Kalabushkin
Mikhail Bitsadze

Switzerland
Nico Gross (Top 60 player)
Nando Eggenberger (top 60 player)
Philip Kurashev (top 60 player)
Tim Berni
Davyd Barandun
Gillan Kohler
Stephane Patry

Finland
Jespari Kotkaneimi (Top 20 pick)
Rasmus Kupari (1st rounder)
Jesse Ylonen (fringe 1st rounder)
Toni Utenen
Oskar Atio

Canada
Ty Smith (top 10 pick)
Jet Woo (top 10 pick)
Jared McIsaac (Top 10 pick)
Ty Delleandrea (1st Rounder)
Akil Thomas (1st Rounder)
Alex Gravel (Goalie top 60)

United States
Brady Tkachuk (top 10)
Oliver Wahlstrom (top 15)
Joel Farabee (top 15)
Quinton Hughes (1st Rounder)

Czech Republic
Filip Zadina (top 10 pick)
Jakub Skarek (Highly regarded goalie top 60)
Dominik Pavlat
Ondrej Buchtela
Filip Kral
Krystrok Hrabik
Martin Kaut
Jachym Kondelik

Thats it for major countries. Milos Roman on Slovakia is also considered a fringe 1st rounder.

Edit: Forgot Sweden

Sweden
Adam Boqvist (top 15)
Jacob Oloffson (1st Rounder)
Isac Lundestrom (1st rounder)
Adam Ginning
Samuel Ersson

How is Brady Tkachuk's skating? That was the question mark with Matthew. Doesn't seem to matter with these guys. I think with Matt's success Brady may be positively influenced to go high in this draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How is Brady Tkachuk's skating? That was the question mark with Matthew. Doesn't seem to matter with these guys. I think with Matt's success Brady may be positively influenced to go high in this draft.
It's not great, but probably better than Matthew at the same age. I also think he's a bit bigger. Matthew probably has better vision and hockey IQ, not that Brady is dumb or anything, just that Matthew's is elite. Will be interesting to see what Brady does at BU this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->