Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
My crack at who I would hope for today in each round is below. In this draft, the player I would love to trade up for if he drops to about 10th OA is Noah Dobson. I think he is going to be an excellent NHL'er and someone who won't take that long to develop. That is a pipe dream though. Based on where we would probably be picking in the 1st rd. I like Bokk, Samuelsson and McIsaac a lot. I think McIsaac's slow start not only hurt his ranking, but skewed a lot of perceptions of him (Chychrun effect). He is a good, skater, has good hockey sense, and sound at both ends.

1st rd. Dominik Bokk C/Mattias Samuelsson LHD/Jared McIsaac LHD (hard to tell who will be available)
2nd rd. Nils Lundkvist RHD *rising fast, but could be available here
3rd rd. Jake Wise C
4th rd. Aidan Dudas C
5th rd. Yegor Sharangovich C (OA) *could go much earlier, but still not on a lot of lists
6th rd. David Levin LW
7th rd. Jakob Bondesson LHD

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My crack at who I would hope for today in each round is below. In this draft, the player I would love to trade up for if he drops to about 10th OA is Noah Dobson. I think he is going to be an excellent NHL'er and someone who won't take that long to develop. That is a pipe dream though. Based on where we would probably be picking in the 1st rd. I like Bokk, Samuelsson and McIsaac a lot. I think McIsaac's slow start not only hurt his ranking, but skewed a lot of perceptions of him (Chychrun effect). He is a good, skater, has good hockey sense, and sound at both ends.

1st rd. Dominik Bokk C/Mattias Samuelsson LHD/Jared McIsaac LHD (hard to tell who will be available)
2nd rd. Nils Lundkvist RHD *rising fast, but could be available here
3rd rd. Jake Wise C
4th rd. Aidan Dudas C
5th rd. Yegor Sharangovich C (OA) *could go much earlier, but still not on a lot of lists
6th rd. David Levin LW
7th rd. Jakob Bondesson LHD

Lundkqvist I don't see being there mid-last 1/3 of 2nd round. Likely need to reach in the 1st.

HockeyProspect.com 2018 NHL Draft Rankings Top 70, March 6th, 2018 - HockeyProspect.com | 2018 NHL Draft

Ranked 19th here but seems still too high.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Lundkqvist I don't see being there mid-last 1/3 of 2nd round. Likely need to reach in the 1st.
That's my thinking too. It is hard to tell with him at this point, because he is one of those guys just starting to surge up lists. I think when it is all said and done he is in the 20-31 range.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That's my thinking too. It is hard to tell with him at this point, because he is one of those guys just starting to surge up lists. I think when it is all said and done he is in the 20-31 range.

Is he BPA at that spot?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Is he BPA at that spot?
At 20-31? I am not sure. I haven't seen a ton of him, but he is having a good season in the SHL as a U18 and from what I have seen can skate well and is a good puck moving defenseman. Apparently he is playing about 16 min/game, which is quite good for a 17 year old in the SHL, and he is a late July birthday, making him one of the younger guys in the draft. He also shoots right, which is an added bonus. If we picked in that range I would be very tempted to pick him, depending on who is on the board. I wouldn't think it is an off the board pick in that range. I would like to see more of him, and hope he is playing at the U18s.

Nils Lundkvist Scouting Reports I could find with a quick search…

RHD Nils Lundqvist (Ranked No. 203)
Lundqvist is a speedy puck mover with a lot of flair to his game, and the risks he takes make sense when you consider how many defensively-responsible forwards Sweden had. He’s an excellent skater and playmaker who takes multiple ventures deep into opposing territory, but the overwhelming majority of them are timely. His defensive play is decent at best when you consider how often the puck is on his stick, but Lundkvist can be guilty of wandering too far from the slot and overcommitting to the strong side. He’ll improve his play in the corners when he bulks up, but his few shortcomings are minor when you factor in his speed and puck skills. Is he the Swedish version of Ryan Merkley? I would venture to say the two are closer than I had initially thought.
-Steve Kournianos The Draft Analyst
The Draft Analyst | 2018 Draft: U18 Five Nations Recap and Scouting Reports

Observations
:
March 2018 – With his late July birthday, Lundkvist is quite young for the 2018 NHL Draft but he has already spent most of the season in the SHL the top league in Sweden. Playing in the SHL is impressive as not many 17-year-old defensemen can do that – and when they do, it’s usually either playing limited minutes or they are on a bad team. His Luleå team is on its way to the playoffs and Lundkvist’s average ice time is almost 16 minutes per game. Lundkvist is a smart offensive defenseman who loves to join the rush. His skating is very good and his puck-movement is excellent, but his defensive game needs improvement. Lundkvist has been a quick riser in draft rankings and is now considered a possible first round selection. He needs some time to physically mature but his offensive upside is very good. Jokke Nevalainen
Fantasy Outlook: B
Puck-moving defenseman with top-four upside
- Jokke Nevalainen at Dobber Prospects
Nils Lundkvist

The highest ranked newcomer to the list is Swedish defenseman Nils Lundkvist (#40), who had a scouting report from our own Jimmy Hamrin posted just last week. Although undersized, Lundkvist is mobile, moves the puck ably and has exceptional hockey IQ.
-McKeens Hockey
2018 NHL Draft - McKeen’s Mid-Season Rankings

Last edited:

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Kravtsov with a goal and an assist today bringing him up to 4G +1A in 5 playoff games. He is really turning it on at the right time.

Reactions: Morgs

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Brought him up a few weeks ago after the Five Nations and was surprised to get no response. Not sure if he's a first rounder yet though.

Has Nils Lundqvist been on anyone's radar? Having a decent Five Nations so far with 1 goal and 2 assists. Smallish, right shot, offensive defenseman.

A guy on the main board said he's a less flashy Boqvist. He's seen time in the SHL this year as a 17 year old, and has 1 goal 3 assists and a +4 in 21 games.

Anyone with insight into his game?

Reactions: AppsSyl

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What makes him stand out to you?

If you care, from what I have heard from him he seems like a safe puck moving type. Not someone who will put up a ton of points or be anything special, but the types of guys you find in the 4th or 5th round who may turn into solid top 6 players some day.

Probably very similar in nature to Ryan O'Connell, but may go a bit higher than him.

Reactions: Dude Wheres Makar

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
My current want list:

1st (27)- RD Jett Woo / LD K'Andre Miller / LW Dominik Bokk / RW Vitali Kravtsov

2nd (53) - RD Alec Regula / RW Jonatan Berggren / C Blake Mclaughlin / LW Filip Hallander / LD Nicholas Beaudin / RD Nils Lundqvist

3rd (85) - C Liam Foudy / C Jack Drury / C Cameron Hillis / RD Axel Andersson / LW Albin Eriksson / C Kyle Topping

4th (115) LW Marcus Westfalt / LW Ruslan Iskhakov / C Nathan Dunkley / RD Caleb Everett / RD Xavier Bouchard

5th (146) C Ivan Morozov / RD Simon Johansson / C Yegor Sharangovich / LW Samuel Bucek / RD Vladislav Yeryomenko

7th (200) RD Saku Vesterinen / G Daniel Dvorak / C Brandon Saigeon / RD Artyom Minulin

7th (208) RW German Grachyov / G Erik Portillo / G Jesper Eliasson / RD Jere Jokinen

Last edited:

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
My current want list:

1st (27)- RD Jett Woo / LD K'Andre Miller / LW Dominik Bokk / RW Vitali Kravtsov

2nd (53) - RD Alec Regula / RW Jonatan Berggren / C Blake Mclaughlin / LW Filip Hallander / RD Nicholas Beaudin / RD Nils Lundqvist

3rd (85) - C Liam Foudy / C Jack Drury / C Cameron Hillis / RD Axel Andersson / LW Albin Eriksson / C Kyle Topping

4th (115) LW Marcus Westfalt / LW Ruslan Iskhakov / C Nathan Dunkley / RD Caleb Everett / RD Xavier Bouchard

5th (146) C Ivan Morozov / RD Simon Johansson / C Yegor Sharangovich / LW Samuel Bucek / RD Vladislav Yeryomenko

7th (200) RD Saku Vesterinen / G Daniel Dvorak / C Brandon Saigeon / RD Artyom Minulin

7th (208) RW German Grachyov / G Erik Portillo / G Jesper Eliasson / RD Jere Jokinen

I was a big supporter of Jett Woo but his injury issues have me on the fence. From all accounts, it has been multiple concussions that has sidelined him. Somebody also posted on the main board that he hasn't looked himself since his last return. A lot of red flags seem to be popping up. This is just speculation though. I haven't seen him play since his last return but concussions arent something we should take lightly and seeing his style of play, are a legitimate concern.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
PickDream PickFirst ChoiceSecond ChoiceThird Choice
TOR 1st RoundRW - Gregori DenisenkoRW - Vitali KravtsovLD - Rasmus SandinLD - Alexander Alexeyev
SJ 2nd RoundC - Jack McBainC - Filip HallanderC Marcus WestfaltC - David Gustafsson
SJ 3rd RoundLD - Travis MitchellC - Jack Drury C - Liam FoudyC - Jake Wise
TOR 4th RoundW - Jerry TurkulainenC - Nathan DunkleyLD - Eric FlorchukLD - Matej Pekar
TOR 5th RoundC - Cameron Hillis LD - Jacob Semik C - Chase WoutersC - Aiden Dudas
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If we walked away with five of these players, I'd be in heaven. I especially want Kravtsov, Mitchell, & Turkulainen.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
PickDream PickFirst ChoiceSecond ChoiceThird Choice
TOR 1st RoundRW - Gregori DenisenkoRW - Vitali KravtsovLD - Rasmus SandinLD - Alexander Alexeyev
SJ 2nd RoundC - Jack McBainC - Filip HallanderC Marcus WestfaltC - David Gustafsson
SJ 3rd RoundLD - Travis MitchellC - Jack Drury C - Liam FoudyC - Jake Wise
TOR 4th RoundW - Jerry TurkulainenC - Nathan DunkleyLD - Eric FlorchukLD - Matej Pekar
TOR 5th RoundC - Cameron Hillis LD - Jacob Semik C - Chase WoutersC - Aiden Dudas
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If we walked away with five of these players, I'd be in heaven. I especially want Kravtsov, Mitchell, & Turkulainen.

Why Turkulainen? Especially so high? The guy was about as good as he was last year when he went undrafted, and even if he did do enough to get drafted this time around, it would probably be in the 7th at best. He's tiny, and while his production is that of some guys in the NHL for his age, those guys are also much bigger and more well-rounded players as well (and even then are just uninspiring bottom 6ers). Turkulainen is not a defensive catalyst from what I heard about him from our prospect camp, and if those better players are struggling to make it, why would he? His offense is not THAT good.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
My current want list:

2nd (53) - RD Alec Regula / RW Jonatan Berggren / C Blake Mclaughlin / LW Filip Hallander / LD Nicholas Beaudin / RD Nils Lundqvist

Getting the bolded in those spots would have me over the moon, underlined still more than happy. Like honestly I would be ok with the the bolded each slotted one round higher (Hallander moreso than Lundqvist)

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Why Turkulainen? Especially so high? The guy was about as good as he was last year when he went undrafted, and even if he did do enough to get drafted this time around, it would probably be in the 7th at best. He's tiny, and while his production is that of some guys in the NHL for his age, those guys are also much bigger and more well-rounded players as well (and even then are just uninspiring bottom 6ers). Turkulainen is not a defensive catalyst from what I heard about him from our prospect camp, and if those better players are struggling to make it, why would he? His offense is not THAT good.

His offense is THAT good. If this guy was drafted in the 4th last season and he went on to put up this season, we'd be blowing our lids..

If you get over the size, there isn't anything holding this guy back. Perfect lottery ticket imo.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
His offense is THAT good. If this guy was drafted in the 4th last season and he went on to put up this season, we'd be blowing our lids..

If you get over the size, there isn't anything holding this guy back. Perfect lottery ticket imo.

But there are just as many people you could say the same thing about. The size is a huge factor, especially without something supplementing his game. If he had blazing speed or had amazing offensive potential or was a capable two-way player (essentially looking like Zuccarello when he was younger), someone would have drafted him last year. He had great offensive numbers last year too. That's obviously not his problem, and also not enough to impress teams to draft him, or Finland to invite him to any major international tournament. He's a shifty player who will do very well in Europe. Maybe he even makes it to the KHL some day and can light it up enough to get NHL interest as a FA. But the shear volume of undersized skill forwards you can find is astounding, and if you do not have these other boxes to check off, you do not get drafted.

I would be willing to bet there are a bunch of great undersized winger lottery picks available with our 7th round pick. Ones who could quite possibly end up better than Turkulainen.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
What am I missing here or Am I truly the only one who thinks we should pick Rasmus Sandin with our 1st? Why is that, cuz i think he's every bit of a guy that we need (except rh). Also 2nd to Mcbain would be AWEsome, but i dont think for a sec that he's available then.

@SeaOfBlue or @93LEAFS what am i missing with Sandin

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What am I missing here or Am I truly the only one who thinks we should pick Rasmus Sandin with our 1st? Why is that, cuz i think he's every bit of a guy that we need (except rh). Also 2nd to Mcbain would be AWEsome, but i dont think for a sec that he's available then.

I'm fine with Sandin (lets be honest, its hard to get real picky about guys in the 20's), but I prefer the high-end upside of Miller if he figures everything out (he has a bunch of risk) or the safety of Samuelsson to be a shut-down guy we could pair hopefully with Liljegren. I love the stability Samuelsson could probably provide as a good skating big-guy who wins the required battles and makes smart plays. He's something we currently lack in our pool (atleast in a high-end variety) and would compliment a lot of our guys. I could see him being a shut-down guy in the NHL in a year or so, although, more likely he's 2 college years and maybe a half-season of AHL-time. But, there's a chance he could be a Carlo type guy. K'Andre Miller has a chance of being one of those guys who goes in the late 1st or early 2nd, who you look at in 10 years asking how could a guy with his tools who became a true franchise number 1 D slipped. Now, he has the obvious risk of being a clear bust.

Sandin, similar to Woo, sort of falls in the middle-ground between the two in my eyes. With more offensive upside, but not offering the defensive game. Also, he plays on an absolutely stacked SSM team. So, I would love to hear how our euro guys (especially Bergman) think of him prior to him coming over.

For people desperate for a center, I'm curious how Wise closest out the year. He's on the small side for a center height wise, but he has that strong stocky build that can allow for sub 6-foot guys to excel, and he's a strong skater.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Depends how late it is. Sandin is a bit of a wild card in the fact that he is a little bit small and does not have a super high end skill set, but he is still very talented. He could be a quite good top 4 defenseman or never make the NHL.

If he was available in the early 30's or really late 20's, that be perfect for him. Same for someone like Alexeyev. I'd be perfectly content with trading down and getting one of those two if the right guy is not available to us at an earlier pick, which could happen if we have a pick in the early-mid 20's.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
But there are just as many people you could say the same thing about. The size is a huge factor, especially without something supplementing his game. If he had blazing speed or had amazing offensive potential or was a capable two-way player (essentially looking like Zuccarello when he was younger), someone would have drafted him last year. He had great offensive numbers last year too. That's obviously not his problem, and also not enough to impress teams to draft him, or Finland to invite him to any major international tournament. He's a shifty player who will do very well in Europe. Maybe he even makes it to the KHL some day and can light it up enough to get NHL interest as a FA. But the shear volume of undersized skill forwards you can find is astounding, and if you do not have these other boxes to check off, you do not get drafted.

I would be willing to bet there are a bunch of great undersized winger lottery picks available with our 7th round pick. Ones who could quite possibly end up better than Turkulainen.

Players get missed in the draft all the time. Just because he isn't a first year eligible doesn't mean he hasn't improved over the past year.A guy who I trust when it comes to prospects is EXTREMELY high on the guy, and by his metrics the guy is one of the better draft eligible players this season, and was last year too (couldn't believe he wasn't drafted).

I mean, the only guy he's trailing in points U20 in Liiga this season is Vesalainen (1st round pick). Last season U19 the only guy he trailed was Koivula (4th round pick). I don't think you understand how rare it is for a guy to put up those kinds of seasons in Liiga at that age and not get drafted. The only thing that's "holding him back" is his size, and for me that's more than enough reason for a lottery ticket. Always prioritize skill and production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->