Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I could see Veleno following a similar trajectory to Couturier minus the offensive year he just had. He'd be a really good complement to our offensive depth if he could take the overwhelming majority of the tough matchup minutes and do well in them.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I could see Veleno following a similar trajectory to Couturier minus the offensive year he just had. He'd be a really good complement to our offensive depth if he could take the overwhelming majority of the tough matchup minutes and do well in them.

Veleno isn't the defensive stalwart or skater that Couturier was or is.

I would be pretty hesitant to pick Veleno at 25, if there are guys like Kravtsov or Berggren available.

Yes, Veleno is a bigger name because of the exceptional status in the Q but his peers have had significantly more impressive draft years and show similar/higher talent and upside.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Veleno isn't the defensive stalwart or skater that Couturier was or is.

I would be pretty hesitant to pick Veleno at 25, if there are guys like Kravtsov or Berggren available.

Yes, Veleno is a bigger name because of the exceptional status in the Q but his peers have had significantly more impressive draft years and show similar/higher talent and upside.

He's as close defensively to Couturier as you're going to get in the first round this draft other than some guys in the top-10 IMO. I agree though, I'd definitely take Kravtsov over him if he drops that far by some miracle.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Looking at later rounds I'm thinking we should go for Riley Damiani. He shut down the likes of Katchook and Kyrou in the OHL playoffs and will have plenty of offensive opportunities this coming year with the graduation of Brown and Bunns. Does not hurt to add some more centers to the stock pile

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
He's as close defensively to Couturier as you're going to get in the first round this draft other than some guys in the top-10 IMO. I agree though, I'd definitely take Kravtsov over him if he drops that far by some miracle.

Being the closest thing to Couturier compared to 4 or 5 other centres in his draft class doesn't actually mean he's worthy of being compared to Couturier.

Veleno has serious issues with his game and has shown signs of not being able to put it all together. It would be tough to handle then picking him over either Kravtsov or Berggren, since I believe those two are going to be more impactful NHL players, if they make it.

We'll see, though.

The scouts know better than me. If they pick Veleno ahead of those two, I will obviously have to wait and see.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm hoping Foudy is there with our 52nd pick. I think there's a lot of value there. Great skater.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Preferences for 25th pick:

1. W Vitali Kravtsov
2. W Jonatan Berggren
3. W Grigori Denisenko
4. C Joe Veleno
5. D Alexander Alexeyev

Honourable mention:

W Dominik Bokk
C Ty Dellandrea
D Calen Addison

Last edited:

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Preferences for 25th pick:

1. W Vitali Kravtsov
2. W Jonatan Berggren
3. W Grigori Denisenko
4. C Joe Veleno
5. D Alexander Alexeyev

Honourable mention:

W Dominik Bokk
C Ty Dellandrea
D Calen Addison
Agreed on the players, maybe I would have them in a different order, but I’m excited for the player we will get at 25. Really want Bokk, Berggren, Dellandrea, or one of the Russians.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
10 Preferences for 25th pick:

1. W Vitali Kravtsov
2. W Jonatan Berggren
3. W Grigori Denisenko
4. C Joe Veleno
5. D Alexander Alexeyev
6. W Dominik Bokk
7. C Jake Wise
8. C Ty Dellandrea
9. D Rasmus Sandin
10. D Calen Addison

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Are there any Grundstrom type players in this draft? Like skilled agitator types? If so who would they be and where might they go? Thanks!

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Kravtsov is the only one who's most likely gone by our pick. Berggren, Denisenko and Veleno very well could be available by 25.

It's impossible to tell either way, though.
I think both Kravstov and Denisenko are gone. I hope not but there are teams in front of us who are willing to "gamble" on Russian prospects. I really want Denisenko, personally. I'd have a hard time seeing him slip that far and he certainly doesn't fill an organizational need but he's likely to be BPA at that slot. I really think he's a top ten talent who will slip into the teens due to being Russian and undersized. OT a bit: Russian prospects can come right over to the AHL, can they not? I know it's rare for any of them to come over without basically being NHL ready but I can't think of any who came right over D1 and played in the American league.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
10 Preferences for 25th pick:

1. W Vitali Kravtsov
2. W Jonatan Berggren
3. W Grigori Denisenko
4. C Joe Veleno
5. D Alexander Alexeyev
6. W Dominik Bokk
7. C Jake Wise
8. C Ty Dellandrea
9. D Rasmus Sandin
10. D Calen Addison

Wasnt Veleno supposed to be a high pick? Has his stock dropped that much this season?

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I think both Kravstov and Denisenko are gone. I hope not but there are teams in front of us who are willing to "gamble" on Russian prospects. I really want Denisenko, personally. I'd have a hard time seeing him slip that far and he certainly doesn't fill an organizational need but he's likely to be BPA at that slot. I really think he's a top ten talent who will slip into the teens due to being Russian and undersized. OT a bit: Russian prospects can come right over to the AHL, can they not? I know it's rare for any of them to come over without basically being NHL ready but I can't think of any who came right over D1 and played in the American league.

Over the laat couple years, both German Rubtsov and Klim Kostin came over during their D+1 year.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Wasnt Veleno supposed to be a high pick? Has his stock dropped that much this season?

Veleno was supposed to go top 5 or 10. He struggled a bit with his team before being traded. He produced a ton with his new club. He's still expected to go in the teens or early 20s.

There seems to be a sense that he's underwhelmed scouts a little bit, considering the buzz over the last couple years.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'll take any of the following at 25:

Vitali Kravtsov
Jonatan Berggren
Grigori Denisenko
Ty Dellandrea
Nils Lundkvist
K'Andre Miller
Isac Lundestrom
Akil Thomas

And either of the following at 52:

Groulx
Nordgren
Woo
Morozov
Foudy
Eriksson
Regula

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I'm hoping Kaut drops to our 2nd with this heart issue he has. I know they say it's nothing significant but I can still see a bunch of teams shying away from him with late 1sts and early 2nds due to the potential unknown. I feel it's a risk our management would be willing to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->