Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
From what I've read, his showing in this tournament has been nothing short of awful.
I agree about Wilde.....has not looked good and could easily slip to us. Has all the tools but might be lacking a little hockey sense. Could be the way they are being coached in the developmental program. Miller and Wilde have not looked good. Samuelsson has looked the best out of the bunch

Some of the American guys on the prospects and draft main boards are pretty critical of the coaching these defenseman are getting, apparently all those guys seem to be going backwards

It wouldn't put me off picking any of those guys since it seems like it's more coaching than the actual players themselves

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Since the season ended, I've been doing a daily draft lottery simulator. There's really been nothing too drastic until the one I just did;

tMn8SiR.jpg

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Since the season ended, I've been doing a daily draft lottery simulator. There's really been nothing too drastic until the one I just did;

tMn8SiR.jpg

if we could get that result with buffalo changed out for a western team it would be ideal. Id rather our division miss out on the higher end players

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
Ty Dellandrea

The next Gauthier or the next Kyrou?

Probably somewhere in the middle. IIRC, Goat was on a good team in his draft year while Dellandrea played on a legitimately bad team this year. IMO he plays with much more intensity than Goat ever has and I think saw a tweet of his offensive heat map and it was visibly clear that he loves the front of the net and that was visible in my viewings as well.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just thought I'd let people know, if you want to watch some of the U-18 games and have cable, you can log into TSN On Demand online and they have most of the Canada games.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Just thought I'd let people know, if you want to watch some of the U-18 games and have cable, you can log into TSN On Demand online and they have most of the Canada games.

Anybody in our probable pick range doing particularly well that you've seen?

It sounds like Samuelsson is going pretty well but the other US defenseman seem to be struggling, I've seen McIssac getting a bit of a pasting as well

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Anybody in our probable pick range doing particularly well that you've seen?

It sounds like Samuelsson is going pretty well but the other US defenseman seem to be struggling, I've seen McIssac getting a bit of a pasting as well
I'm checking the games out now. I haven't followed live as I was in Texas on vacation from the 12th to 22nd. The only Hockey I made time for was the Leafs games. I'll get back with some updates once I've watched a bit.

I'll try to see most of the medal rounds. Last year as long as you could mask being in a different country (because TSN had the Canadian rights) you could download all the games. This year that isn't an option.

Reactions: Kiwi

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Ty Dellandrea

The next Gauthier or the next Kyrou?
I would like to think that Dellandrea could be a Patrice Bergeron or Ryan O'Rielly type. He certainly ticks off a lot of boxes for me. Good speed, willing to battle in the corners and in front of the net, developing one on one moves which will get better once he becomes stronger and great on faceoffs. So far in the U18s, he is 48 won and 25 lost for a 66% clip which is near top of the tournament. Also being one of the younger players in the draft, I would think he is one of the safer picks.Playing for a bottom dweller like Flint and still putting up a near point per game is pretty damn impressive. Teams could focus on shutting down Dellandrea as he was one of their lone dangerous players on the ice and he still put up decent numbers. Throw in the kid's attitude which is top notch, I have no doubt he will succeed at the next level.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Eh I agree with you. But if they took a winger I’d trust that winger to be far better than any d or c they could of taken at that spot especially in the 1st round. I’d rather a 2nd line winger than a Freddy the goat c for example, actually I’ll take a 3rd line winger over the goat

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We have Grundstrom and Korshkov coming soon, we have much more depth at wing then Center/D.

We really don't have any centers developing
You can't count on Korshkov or Grundstrom as sure bets to be legit NHLers. Plus, anyone we draft is probably 2 years away at a minimum. Also, it seems the best value of players in the 20-30 range tends to be on the wing.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
You can't count on Korshkov or Grundstrom as sure bets to be legit NHLers. Plus, anyone we draft is probably 2 years away at a minimum. Also, it seems the best value of players in the 20-30 range tends to be on the wing.

Grundstrom is a pretty fair lock - he plays like a more skilled Komarov.

Korshkov is more of a wild card but he is 6'4 and very skilled.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Grundstrom is a pretty fair lock - he plays like a more skilled Komarov.

Korshkov is more of a wild card but he is 6'4 and very skilled.
You can't label these guys locks yet. They need to show more. Neither is a guarantee to be an NHL regular. Guy picked in the 2nd round tend to have about a 20 percent chance of being a legit NHLer. They haven't done enough post-draft to dramatically change those odds like someone like Kyrou. I'm optimistic, but lets not write their names in, in pen yet. Personally, I like the D avalible, but if Kravtsov or Denisenko is on the board, and we pass for positional need, I won't be happy.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
You can't label these guys locks yet. They need to show more. Neither is a guarantee to be an NHL regular. Guy picked in the 2nd round tend to have about a 20 percent chance of being a legit NHLer. They haven't done enough post-draft to dramatically change those odds like someone like Kyrou. I'm optimistic, but lets not write their names in, in pen yet. Personally, I like the D avalible, but if Kravtsov or Denisenko is on the board, and we pass for positional need, I won't be happy.
Kyrou was my pick at that spot in 2016...Admittedly he may not meet expectations and Korshkov may become a stud but at the time I was pissed when they didn't pick him. I'm not sure what wasn't to like. You have more knowledge about prospects than I'll ever have. Any idea what their thinking was at the time?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kyrou was my pick at that spot in 2016...Admittedly he may not meet expectations and Korshkov may become a stud but at the time I was pissed when they didn't pick him. I'm not sure what wasn't to like. You have more knowledge about prospects than I'll ever have. Any idea what their thinking was at the time?
They trusted the guy who got them Soshnikov (Namestinkovs dad) and though he was a safe bet.

I really wanted Boris Katchouk. I’m still optimistic about both guys we got in the 2nd, just not to the extent I would pass on a potentially elite winger like Denisenko.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Lol let's not draft players just based on who their dad is

The guy is worth more than a flyer anyways.

He is a serious prospect. Oshawa was not that good this year. I think it's possible he could play up to the 2nd or 3rd round next year.

Next couple of years are going to have a lot of great talent. 2020 especially.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Is the draft lottery on sportsnet? I can’t find info on channel and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad