Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So if people are convinced that Merkley won't cut it defensively (I am cutting the attitude questions out here), what are thoughts on him converting to winger?
So much of his game is built around using his elite skating to take it out of the zone that I think it's a dramatic change to how he plays if he moves to the wing. The only D in recent years who have really excelled and been able to play forward and D at an effective level in the NHL are Burns and Buff, who are both big guys with booming shots but also are good in front of the net for screening purposes. Also, who is the last player to successfully pull this off? Wendel Clark?

Reactions: Stand Witness

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I know he's very hated around here, but I thought this was pretty interesting:

I personally don't give a shit about supposed attitude issues. I'd personally be all over him with our 1st or 2nd if Hunter & co deem him worthy. His numbers and skill are definitely worth at the very least a top-15 pick, its just a question of when in the draft does the value exceed the baggage.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I personally don't give a **** about supposed attitude issues. I'd personally be all over him with our 1st or 2nd if Hunter & co deem him worthy. His numbers and skill are definitely worth at the very least a top-15 pick, its just a question of when in the draft does the value exceed the baggage.

A guy who competes hard on the ice but runs his mouth off the ice, I get it. From my limited viewings of Merkley, the attitude issues are on the ice too. He's too skilled to put the work in in the d-zone. He'd rather lose a 5-4 game where he scored all 4 goals and was responsible for all 5 against than win a 1-0 game where he didn't factor in on the goal.

I don't know how coachable that is.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
A guy who competes hard on the ice but runs his mouth off the ice, I get it. From my limited viewings of Merkley, the attitude issues are on the ice too. He's too skilled to put the work in in the d-zone. He'd rather lose a 5-4 game where he scored all 4 goals and was responsible for all 5 against than win a 1-0 game where he didn't factor in on the goal.

I don't know how coachable that is.

Yeah but how many times do we hear these kind of things about players in junior and then be completely different in the NHL. The guy is a top 3 talent and we probably have a chance at getting him in the 20's. Is that really a loss for us?

Reactions: Morgs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah but how many times do we hear these kind of things about players in junior and then be completely different in the NHL. The guy is a top 3 talent and we probably have a chance at getting him in the 20's. Is that really a loss for us?

He's been a head case with multiple coaching staffs and has shown zero willingness to improve himself

Putting up points is great but if he's going to be a non caring **** who won't work on his game and is a cancer who cares?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, because these supposed cheap deals on statistical gems like DeAngelo, Ho-Sang, and Shinkaruk have really worked out well for those teams that invested a first in them.

He isn't even close to a top 3 talent without the baggage. He doesn't know how to or want to play defence. He outright quits on plays as the last man back with an empty net. He takes stupid penalties in the offensive zone because he lost the puck or didn't receive a pass. Not only does he not try on defence, he doesn't look to be very good at the things that are almost impossible to teach defenders which is maintaining good gap control.

Be wowed by stats and highlight reels, but the kid simply has no interest in playing defense. Which is sort of important for his position. I'd be shocked if the Leafs draft him if Hunter is still our scouting director.

Ignoring the baggage he isn't better than Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Zadina, Farabee, Dobson, Hughes, Bouchard, Denisenko, Kravtsov, and probably quite a few others.

horner

May 22, 2007
Central scouting NA 99
2018 a late 4th or 5th Rd pk
Billy Moskal C London knights
Really want the Leafs to draft this kid .
He is a player that we don't have in our system .
He is already a trusted player for Dale Hunter .

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Liam Foudy out of London looked good today. Not sure if he lasts until 52 or even if he is projected to be a C at the next level but that speed cant be overlooked.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I doubt we keep the pick. Haven’t spent much time on th me draft this year but

I like the idea of woo or Akil Thomas.

What was woos injury? Concussion?

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
I doubt we keep the pick. Haven’t spent much time on th me draft this year but

I like the idea of woo or Akil Thomas

What was woos injury? Concussion?
Yes concussions. From all accounts, he hasnt been the same player since. I think he drops to the early to mid 2nd round. Im guessing to one of the teams who have a plethora or picks....Rangers, Wings etc. A team which can afford to swing for the fences on a pick or 2

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

The guy could have no attitude issues and wouldn't even be a top 5 defenseman in this draft. Dahlin is clear number 1 and even then Dobson, Smith, Bouchard, Boqvist, Wilde and Hughes are all ahead of Merkley. All of them have the tools to be #1 defensemen in the NHL and none of them are nearly as raw as Merkley in the defensive end right now.

His offensive skills wouldn't even get him into the top 3 in this draft. Not even for defensemen. 100% I'm taking Dahlin and Smith over him, and if I had a chance to compare them side by side, I may extend that to Bouchard as well. Those are just out of the guys I've seen. Hughes and Boqvist could easily be over him as well, and Dobson and Wilde are two-way guys with a different offensive styles than Merkley so it may be hard to directly compare them, but both are very capable offensively.

Merkley should not be expected to go in the first round anymore. Not unless he impresses at every remaining stop and earns his way back up there. At this point I think it's more likely he's available at 52 than him getting taken somewhere in the first, or possibly even early 2nd, round. TBH, with the number of busts with guys very similar to him (Ryan Murphy, Tony DeAngelo, even possibly Julius Honka), I don't think I would take him in the first round even without attitude issues... The guy may have great offensive skills, but the guys who typically make it are the ones who are at least somewhat competent defensively at that age and showed a willingness to get much better (Rielly, Ellis, Gardiner, etc.)

horner

May 22, 2007
Liam Foudy out of London looked good today. Not sure if he lasts until 52 or even if he is projected to be a C at the next level but that speed cant be overlooked.
That is why I think we should trade with the Rangers for there late first and second Rd picks.

30 Dellandrea
39 Foudy
52 durzi

This draft is wide open

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
We already have dmen that can move the puck smoothly, I want one that can keep the puck from hitting the net, who out there?

Reactions: realgoodleafs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We already have dmen that can move the puck smoothly, I want one that can keep the puck from hitting the net, who out there?

Samuelsson

I like Miller to, he's already pretty good and considering he hasn't played defense for very long that's solid

Reactions: Tonka

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Samuelsson

I like Miller to, he's already pretty good and considering he hasn't played defense for very long that's solid

Are these guys mobile. Samuelsson is 6'5, but can he move his feet well? And do they hit.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
This is what I hope Leafs are looking for when drafting:

+ Mobile and Good Skating
+ High Defensive IQ
+ Grit
+ Size

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Are these guys mobile. Samuelsson is 6'5, but can he move his feet well? And do they hit.

Miller skates really well, I'm not talking good for a big guy either just straight up good

Samuelsson isn't a good in that regard, from my viewings he got beaten to the outside a bit, not a lot because he's got really solid IQ but it's a concern just like his offensive upside

He's not going to be a #1D if things go well he's going to be a defensive stalwart that you can pair with an offensively minded D in your top 4 (like Liljegren)

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Miller skates really well, I'm not talking good for a big guy either just straight up good

Samuelsson isn't a good in that regard, from my viewings he got beaten to the outside a bit, not a lot because he's got really solid IQ but it's a concern just like his offensive upside

He's not going to be a #1D if things go well he's going to be a defensive stalwart that you can pair with an offensively minded D in your top 4 (like Liljegren)

Could be like a Redden - Chara scenerio, but if Miller is strong in his own end and can skate well, sign me up. Leafs have Rielly as a #1 D, so it would be good to get depth d-men to play top 4.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
if the leafs get knocked out the ideal scenario would be a TB vs Columbus (or pitt) east final
and Nashville vs San Jose west final.

it would bump our pick up to 23

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
This is what I hope Leafs are looking for when drafting:

+ Mobile and Good Skating
+ High Defensive IQ
+ Grit
+ Size

if a guy has all of those attributes, he is going top 10

most of the guys in our range have 3 of those

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'm still hoping for Merkley. obviously weaker away from the puck than most in this range but top 5 offense.
When he is ready in 3-4 years who knows what we will need?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Could be like a Redden - Chara scenerio, but if Miller is strong in his own end and can skate well, sign me up. Leafs have Rielly as a #1 D, so it would be good to get depth d-men to play top 4.

Don't get me wrong Miller isn't perfect either

He moves the puck really well but hasn't put up a ton of points, I'm overlooking that because he gets zero PP time and plays as the defensive conscience on his pair with some very offense first partners

He also tends to puck watch at times and will end up facing the same way as the guys bearing down on him to often as well, instead of facing the play and backing in, but as I said he's been a forward most of his life and is still learning but he's hugely toolsy

I'm still hoping for Merkley. obviously weaker away from the puck than most in this range but top 5 offense.
When he is ready in 3-4 years who knows what we will need?

He's to much of a head case for me

It's hard enough developing guys as is without dealing with them being ass hats with multiple coaches thrown into the mix, then giving up on plays because your pouting as well

Reactions: Tonka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad