Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
I can't believe where he has Miller or M. Samuelsson. The other thing I'd point out is, people are going to be surprised at where Jay O'Brien is going to go. Scouts were flocking to see him at the end of the year.

Jay O'Brien has been on my hitlist for a while. We probably wont see him still on the board at 52. A lot of American C's all bunched up in that neighborhood though...O'Brien, McLaughlan, Drury, Madden, Steeves and a few others. Could O'brien slip through? Perhaps...but unlikely.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
I finally did some research, and I really want Jett Woo. He seems like the perfect second pairing guy that would eventually slot in under Liljegren. A future top 4 of Reilly - Lily/Dermott - Woo would be awesome if everyone projects. Woo seems like the type of badass that we lack in the system. He's not even top 31 in the latest ISS rankings, but with his injury, he has been a hard one to scout accurately apparently (sounds just like when we drafted Reilly). Since I think we will be picking 30th or 31st :naughty:, he might drop to us. Plus that name. Think of the potential for Joe Bowen.

Reactions: FishManSam

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
I finally did some research, and I really want Jett Woo. He seems like the perfect second pairing guy that would eventually slot in under Liljegren. A future top 4 of Reilly - Lily/Dermott - Woo would be awesome if everyone projects. Woo seems like the type of badass that we lack in the system. He's not even top 31 in the latest ISS rankings, but with his injury, he has been a hard one to scout accurately apparently (sounds just like when we drafted Reilly). Since I think we will be picking 30th or 31st :naughty:, he might drop to us. Plus that name. Think of the potential for Joe Bowen.
I believe his injuries have been concussion related which I would treat a little differently than Morgan Rielly's injury in his draft year. Multiple concussions before the age of 18 are worrysome, considering he makes his bread and butter playing a physical game.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

I would compare him similarly to Dermott, just better defensively, less inclined offensively. Ultimately would make the D cores really balanced. Rielly - Woo (projecting him to be solid enough to handle this) and then Dermott - Liljegren.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
He's ranked around the 3rd-4th round isn't he?
I think if we wanted to get him, we might have to reach a little bit early and take him with our 2nd round pick (52). I don't think he would be there if we waited until our 3rd round selection (83)

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Jay O'Brien has been on my hitlist for a while. We probably wont see him still on the board at 52. A lot of American C's all bunched up in that neighborhood though...O'Brien, McLaughlan, Drury, Madden, Steeves and a few others. Could O'brien slip through? Perhaps...but unlikely.
According to elite prospects, O'Brien has won the US highschool player of the year award and puts up pretty decent numbers at that level. He's not gotten too much ushl exposure, heading to the NCAA, but he could be a savvy pick up with a payoff in the long run. Nevertheless I haven't seen him play and would be a little wary if the Leafs expend a high pick for him.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
According to elite prospects, O'Brien has won the US highschool player of the year award and puts up pretty decent numbers at that level. He's not gotten too much ushl exposure, heading to the NCAA, but he could be a savvy pick up with a payoff in the long run. Nevertheless I haven't seen him play and would be a little wary if the Leafs expend a high pick for him.
I would be more content in using a 3rd for O'Brien than a 2nd since there are much safer picks in the 2nd round than him but he stood out in the All American prospects game, has all the tools....skating, good shot, 200 ft game and was decent in the faceoff circle. There are a couple of his full games on YouTube but its a bit harder to guage his skill based on that level of competition. With his limited showing, if a team takes him in the 2nd, I imagine it will be one with multiple picks who can afford to swing and miss but could be rewarded. I've seen O'Brien as high as late 1st/early 2nd and as low as mid/ late 3rd.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
I think if we wanted to get him, we might have to reach a little bit early and take him with our 2nd round pick (52). I don't think he would be there if we waited until our 3rd round selection (83)

i'd throw a second at him.

for our first round, my xmas list in order is one of:

kravstov
denisenko
kotkaniemi (he could drop)
kupari
samuelsson
thomas

second would be

eriksson
obrien
sandin
woo
mcbain
miller

hunter will probably pick a russian we never heard of.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
i'd throw a second at him.

for our first round, my xmas list in order is one of:

kravstov
denisenko
kotkaniemi (he could drop)
kupari
samuelsson
thomas

second would be

eriksson
obrien
sandin
woo
mcbain
miller

hunter will probably pick a russian we never heard of.
Shanahan and Hunter were at multiple u18 practices recently. I am sure they were giving Ty Dellandrea, McBain and Merkley a close look. I heard McBain has looked very good in practice. It seems like he always shows up for these international tournaments. I hope with his unimpressive stats, that its just him playing down to the level of the competition and his teammates....Dellandrea is probably a safe pick. He reminds me of Ryan O'Rielly....hard working, do it all type. Also one of the younger players in the draft.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Shanahan and Hunter were at multiple u18 practices recently. I am sure they were giving Ty Dellandrea, McBain and Merkley a close look. I heard McBain has looked very good in practice. It seems like he always shows up for these international tournaments. I hope with his unimpressive stats, that its just him playing down to the level of the competition and his teammates....Dellandrea is probably a safe pick. He reminds me of Ryan O'Rielly....hard working, do it all type. Also one of the younger players in the draft.

Even Dellandrea's international tournaments don't seem that impressive. McBain at least has that going for him even if he was playing in a lesser league.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Even Dellandrea's international tournaments don't seem that impressive. McBain at least has that going for him even if he was playing in a lesser league.
I think it all comes down to if they figure if McBain's skating can and will improve, if management thinks he is worthy of a 1st round pick. He does tick a lot of boxes and comes from good bloodlines. Another Center who will be there if Fillip Hallander. Where Olofsson is getting most of the press as being a 1st round pick, Hallander might be the better selection.

Getting back to Dellandrea, I see him as being one of the younger players in the draft, playing for a bad team in Flint putting up near PPG numbers, above 50% in faceoffs and if you read the countless articles is a great kid off the ice as well. If I recall, his International duty, namely last years Hlinka, he got 4th line mins and minimal PP time. I would like it if he slips to the 2nd round and we can nab him at 52 but he probably wont be there. I know Central Scouting has him ranked in the 70s I believe, but he should move way up.

My top picks for the 1st two rounds would have to be
1) Akil Thomas/Filip Hallander
2) Jakub Lauko/ Ty Dellandrea/Jack Mcbain
I think this is a draft where since we have so many similar tiered players, especially from 30 to 60, to trade down and get an extra 2nd round pick. Even though I dont think McBain and Dellandrea will be there at 52, that is where I'd take them since I think Thomas and Hallander are quite a bit better IMO. It is going to certainly going to be an interesting draft. Perhaps the Leafs figure their top notch developmental program could fix Merkley's deficiencies and they roll the dice and select him. I am optimistic, I totally wouldn't hate it if we hear Mark Hunter call Ryan Merkley's name in the 1st round.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think it all comes down to if they figure if McBain's skating can and will improve, if management thinks he is worthy of a 1st round pick. He does tick a lot of boxes and comes from good bloodlines. Another Center who will be there if Fillip Hallander. Where Olofsson is getting most of the press as being a 1st round pick, Hallander might be the better selection.

Getting back to Dellandrea, I see him as being one of the younger players in the draft, playing for a bad team in Flint putting up near PPG numbers, above 50% in faceoffs and if you read the countless articles is a great kid off the ice as well. If I recall, his International duty, namely last years Hlinka, he got 4th line mins and minimal PP time. I would like it if he slips to the 2nd round and we can nab him at 52 but he probably wont be there. I know Central Scouting has him ranked in the 70s I believe, but he should move way up.

My top picks for the 1st two rounds would have to be
1) Akil Thomas/Filip Hallander
2) Jakub Lauko/ Ty Dellandrea/Jack Mcbain
I think this is a draft where since we have so many similar tiered players, especially from 30 to 60, to trade down and get an extra 2nd round pick. Even though I dont think McBain and Dellandrea will be there at 52, that is where I'd take them since I think Thomas and Hallander are quite a bit better IMO. It is going to certainly going to be an interesting draft. Perhaps the Leafs figure their top notch developmental program could fix Merkley's deficiencies and they roll the dice and select him. I am optimistic, I totally wouldn't hate it if we hear Mark Hunter call Ryan Merkley's name in the 1st round.

I thought Hallander was considered more wing then centre ?

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
I thought Hallander was considered more wing then centre ?
Being only 17 in a men's league he probably played 75% LW but it doesnt mean he doesnt have the acumen to play Center. Throughout the Timra ranks growing up he played mostly center. Whether or not that translates into him playing down the middle in the NHL, is hard to say but we can probably use another good LW if worse comes to worse.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Every draft is the most important draft yet. The ability of the scouting staff to unearth a future core player this year in the 20s will dictate whether the Leafs have a good handle over cap issues and can keep adding to the incomplete core, or if we'll slowly start to run out of reinforcements.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Every draft is the most important draft yet. The ability of the scouting staff to unearth a future core player this year in the 20s will dictate whether the Leafs have a good handle over cap issues and can keep adding to the incomplete core, or if we'll slowly start to run out of reinforcements.
This is why this year I'd be all for trading down. Usually I want quality over quantity, but I'm just not sure the players available from 20-60 this year are all that different. With that said, I'd rather trade down and take more cracks at finding a diamond or diamonds in the rough.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
This is why this year I'd be all for trading down. Usually I want quality over quantity, but I'm just not sure the players available from 20-60 this year are all that different. With that said, I'd rather trade down and take more cracks at finding a diamond or diamonds in the rough.

I'd almost rather package it with other assets for a competent Top 4 RHD.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure how teams in contention actually find the time and assets to trade for futures, but it seems like that's something the Leafs need to start figuring out. If the rebuild didn't get off to such a hot start, that 2018 pick would have been more of a guaranteed cornerstone, and possibly selling off JVR and Bozak would have likely yielded between them 2 young assets, 1st and maybe a 2nd or couple of mid round picks. That's like an entire crop of middle six forwards and a top four defenseman we're missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad