Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's going to be hilarious when Ryan Merkley drops to us next season
He might not even really have to drop. His stock is pretty rocky. HockeyProspect.Com who I would trust more than anyone on the OHL had him at 22 in their initial rankings for 2018 in the BlackBook. Hockey Canada also chose 3 other defencemen over him for the u-18 team in McIssac, Woo and Ty Smith.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I already know it's going to happen. Guys like Wilde and Boqvist I predict will jump him as soon as September. The draft is deep as it is.
As just pointed out, he may have never actually been ahead of them. Especially Wilde. I know HockeyProspect had Wilde as the top pick in the 2016 OHL draft too.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Some lists I have seen him still ahead, which is what I'm basing this off of.
I know Pronman and the DraftAnalyst do. No one else really has a list out. I like Corey for his write-ups and how he incorporates some statistical analysis, but of all the lists I've seen I'd trust HP the most. It will be interesting to see how Bob and Craigs first official lists look. A lot will be changed by Hlinka though.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I know Pronman and the DraftAnalyst do. No one else really has a list out. I like Corey for his write-ups and how he incorporates some statistical analysis, but of all the lists I've seen I'd trust HP the most. It will be interesting to see how Bob and Craigs first official lists look. A lot will be changed by Hlinka though.

Would you agree with the Leafs taking him if they have the chance?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Would you agree with the Leafs taking him if they have the chance?
Really depends on who else is out there. I'm not sold on him. I personally think he's a really flawed but skilled player. I'd take a bunch of D ahead of him such as Dahlin, Ty Smith, Woo, Wilde, Samuelsson, Boqvist and McIssac.Then there are guys like Xavier Bouchard, Evan Bouchard, and Quinton Hughes, who you have to discuss around there.

I'll wait a year and see how our season plays out and how those guys play. Not too fixated on any one guy right now. I'd agree with Hunter and his staff because I respect their opinion if they decided to gamble on him, but I also wouldn't be pissed if we passed.

I also don't expect a great season for him, especially counting stat-wise (which may be good for him). Guelph's new coach is probably the most defensive guy in the league not named Stan Butler, and if Merkley tries to do some of the stuff he did this year he will lose minutes pretty quickly. If he shapes up and listens, it may be best for him long-term.

He absolutely has the talent to be a top 3 guy in this draft, but he there are a bunch of things in his profile which makes you wonder about him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Which is awesome because Ryan Merkley is a heck of a talent. Insanely poised.

This draft is ****ing stacked though. Even if we are picking 20-31, we can get ourselves an impact player

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Merkley seems like a match in heaven for the Leafs play style as well. Could let him go back to junior to work on his notable deficiencies. He's pretty bad defensively but has sky high offensive potential.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Really depends on who else is out there. I'm not sold on him. I personally think he's a really flawed but skilled player. I'd take a bunch of D ahead of him such as Dahlin, Ty Smith, Woo, Wilde, Samuelsson, Boqvist and McIssac.Then there are guys like Xavier Bouchard, Evan Bouchard, and Quinton Hughes, who you have to discuss around there.

I'll wait a year and see how our season plays out and how those guys play. Not too fixated on any one guy right now. I'd agree with Hunter and his staff because I respect their opinion if they decided to gamble on him, but I also wouldn't be pissed if we passed.

I also don't expect a great season for him, especially counting stat-wise (which may be good for him). Guelph's new coach is probably the most defensive guy in the league not named Stan Butler, and if Merkley tries to do some of the stuff he did this year he will lose minutes pretty quickly. If he shapes up and listens, it may be best for him long-term.

He absolutely has the talent to be a top 3 guy in this draft, but he there are a bunch of things in his profile which makes you wonder about him.

I started following him late in 2016 and tried to catch some games when I could. The obvious things about him; skates like the wind, poised with the puck, great vision, particularly in the O-zone. One thing that was obvious to me, he uses his skating more than breaking out the puck with a pass. He'll have to simplify that at the NHL level. No doubt he'll be able to skate it out in the NHL too, but like every other player, he'll need to utilize the break out pass too. His inherent skating talent allows him to cut off gaps, but he leans WAY too much on his inherent speed and he gets caught out of position defensively a lot.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I started following him late in 2016 and tried to catch some games when I could. The obvious things about him; skates like the wind, poised with the puck, great vision, particularly in the O-zone. One thing that was obvious to me, he uses his skating more than breaking out the puck with a pass. He'll have to simplify that at the NHL level. No doubt he'll be able to skate it out in the NHL too, but like every other player, he'll need to utilize the break out pass too. His inherent skating talent allows him to cut off gaps, but he leans WAY too much on his inherent speed and he gets caught out of position defensively a lot.
I find he gambles way too much when a simple play will be better, but a lot of that is due to playing for a terrible team and trying to do too much. I've heard rumblings of character concerns. The exact quote was "DeAngelo 2.0" which is never a good comparison to hear.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I find he gambles way too much when a simple play will be better, but a lot of that is due to playing for a terrible team and trying to do too much. I've heard rumblings of character concerns. The exact quote was "DeAngelo 2.0" which is never a good comparison to hear.

Yeah, big time. That goes back to the whole tools argument I was making. He knows his physical ability so he gambles a lot both offensively and defensively speaking. Not sure about the character concerns though. They wouldn't surprise me, but he also strikes me as someone who is naturally charismatic and his emotion shows in game (like for instance when he scores and his reaction). For whoever drafts him, the developmental system would have to be quite good at not only insulating his weaknesses and helping him overcome them, but also adjusting his attitude. I love the spark about him, but you have to hope it doesn't become genuine character concerns even in the NHL.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I really hope we shoot for a more complete player, than a player incredibly over-reliant on one trait like Merkley. Not a big fan of his after a few viewings last year. His defense is downright atrocious at times, and while being a gambler can often pay off for great skating offensive type D-men, I saw a whole lot of awful decision making when he chose to gamble.

I'm hoping to focus a little more on this year's draft class than I was able to this past year's. I still think the ideal pick would be a big, powerful forward. We could use a few, really. Big skilled forwards to play alongside Marner/Kadri would really round out our forward group nicely.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I really hope we shoot for a more complete player, than a player incredibly over-reliant on one trait like Merkley. Not a big fan of his after a few viewings last year. His defense is downright atrocious at times, and while being a gambler can often pay off for great skating offensive type D-men, I saw a whole lot of awful decision making when he chose to gamble.

I'm hoping to focus a little more on this year's draft class than I was able to this past year's. I still think the ideal pick would be a big, powerful forward. We could use a few, really. Big skilled forwards to play alongside Marner/Kadri would really round out our forward group nicely.

We can easily sign those types. You don't pass on Merkley's kind of talent if he's available.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
We can easily sign those types. You don't pass on Merkley's kind of talent if he's available.

Personally, i think you can easily pass on Merkley. He's a great skater, and has some good offense to him, but his size + lack of defensive acumen + questionable decision making are too much for me to overlook. I think it's easier to find small skilled players and sign them than it is to find the size + skill combo and sign them. Teams aquire big skilled guys by drafting them, otherwise they pay a king's ransom in a trade or on July 1st.

Merkley looks + sounds way too much like Ryan Murphy for my liking. DeAngelo comes to mind as well. Neither are very inspiring.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Personally, i think you can easily pass on Merkley. He's a great skater, and has some good offense to him, but his size + lack of defensive acumen + questionable decision making are too much for me to overlook. I think it's easier to find small skilled players and sign them than it is to find the size + skill combo and sign them. Teams aquire big skilled guys by drafting them, otherwise they pay a king's ransom in a trade or on July 1st.

Merkley looks + sounds way too much like Ryan Murphy for my liking. DeAngelo comes to mind as well. Neither are very inspiring.

This is kinda ridiculous.

Murphy didn't come close to winning the OHL rookie of the year, which Merkley won, and was also 5'9 in his draft year. Merkley, last I saw, was 5'11.5, entering his draft year. Merkley is described by scouts to have "out of this world" vision. He constantly has "how the hell did he do that moments". (http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ryan-merkley-and-the-ohl-drafts-biggest-question)

I wouldn't be shocked to see Merkley challenge Ryan Ellis' draft year numbers.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Murphy didn't come close to winning the OHL rookie of the year, which Merkley won, and was also 5'9 in his draft year. Merkley, last I saw, was 5'11.5, entering his draft year. Merkley is described by scouts to have "out of this world" vision. He constantly has "how the hell did he do that moments". (http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ryan-merkley-and-the-ohl-drafts-biggest-question)

I would be shocked to see him accomplish anything close to Ellis, if for no other reason than Ellis playing on some all-time teams.

If we could convert him to forward, I wouldn't mind, but as a defender, his defense and decision making can be scary bad. Not really my type of player.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I would, considering who his coaches will be next year and who the forward talent on Guelph. Big difference between Hall, Niemz and Henrique and Ratcliffe, Givani Smith and Scharr. I'd be shocked if Burnett doesn't seriously reign his game in.

We should be going pure BPA at this point in the first. Targeting certain needs when the chances of landing a long-term contributor in the range we expect to pick in is less than 50% dictates we should go with who we think has the best shot.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I would, considering who his coaches will be next year and who the forward talent on Guelph. Big difference between Hall, Niemz and Henrique and Ratcliffe, Givani Smith and Scharr. I'd be shocked if Burnett doesn't seriously reign his game in.

We should be going pure BPA at this point in the first. Targeting certain needs when the chances of landing a long-term contributor in the range we expect to pick in is less than 50% dictates we should go with who we think has the best shot.

I wouldn't be disappointed if BPA was a center or 2-way defenseman
A forward with a bit of size/skill/grit wouldn't be a bad thing either from a team building perspective

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't be disappointed if BPA was a center or 2-way defenseman
A forward with a bit of size/skill/grit wouldn't be a bad thing either from a team building perspective

I'm really not worried. The guys coming off the books in the next few years will be D (most notably Gardiner). We have offence in spades and this draft is deep at D. No problem with BPA being D.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's kinda nuts how much our outlook on D has changed. Dermott and Nielsen developing as they have, with the luck of getting Liljegren, and then a guy like Rasanen.

The thought of adding yet another quality D to those 4 who aren't even on the roster yet, is remarkable.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm really not worried. The guys coming off the books in the next few years will be D (most notably Gardiner). We have offence in spades and this draft is deep at D. No problem with BPA being D.

Everything I've seen and read about Woo and Bouchard makes them pretty interesting
But I'd definitely be interested to see how Thomas and Grouix go this season

I'm not even going to start dreaming about the likes of Tkachuk and Veleno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad