Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Let's try to get a 1st rounder from a team that will likely miss the playoffs and pray we hit the lottery.

Ok, if a team is likely to miss the playoffs they won't trade their pick so let's pick a team expected to make it and hope they have a down year, ala TAmpa last year

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The kid in the Q going #3?
Veleno? I don't think so at this point. But, he can easily put himself back in the discussion. He didn't really progress this year from his 15-year-old season. Will be interesting to see what he's doing now that he is the primary outlet for SJ. I'd think Tkachuk, Ty Smith, and Zadina probably has a better shot. I'm not even sure if he's the best Canadian center in the draft. There will be a lot of focus on Jack McBain despite the fact he plays in the OJHL.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Jet Woo, a RHD from Moosejaw is a kid I like a lot. Plays a solid two-way game, hard to believe he was a 16 year old last season with the rookie year he had. Hes a thick kid and he reminds me of morgan, in some ways, when he was in moose jaw as a 16 year old. If his development stays the course, I could easily see him challenging the top 10 for next years draft.

Jet Woo aint nothing to **** with.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Jet Woo aint nothing to **** with.

Haha, I think I'm one of the 3 people on this forum that actually got your reference.

wu_hands_tttp_featured_slider-1.jpg

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
That's cute. I remember Ryan Murphy. He was a nailed-on stud, future Neidermayer on this board.

Not bloody likely.

COme on Ernie. This is my issue with your posts over the past little while. You don't even bring in relevant reasons. You just make some hyperbolic post and call it a day.

Why is Merkley going to be like that? Call him the next Murphy if you want, but at least give me some reasons why.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Veleno? I don't think so at this point. But, he can easily put himself back in the discussion. He didn't really progress this year from his 15-year-old season. Will be interesting to see what he's doing now that he is the primary outlet for SJ. I'd think Tkachuk, Ty Smith, and Zadina probably has a better shot. I'm not even sure if he's the best Canadian center in the draft. There will be a lot of focus on Jack McBain despite the fact he plays in the OJHL.

He definitely did progress, just not really to the levels people were expecting. He went from just under 0.7 PPG to just under 1 PPG. So slight improvement.

This year is definitely a big year for him though. The Sea Dogs were a very old team this year, and were built for a Memorial Cup run. He wasn't really getting a great amount of ice time. With over-agers likely leaving this year, he'll get more ice time.

Top 3? No, I think your right, but he's pretty interesting still.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He definitely did progress, not really to the levels people were expecting. He went from just under 0.7 PPG to just under 1 PPG. So slight improvement.

This year is definitely a big year for him though. The Sea Dogs were a very old team this year, and were built for a Memorial Cup run. He wasn't really getting a great amount of ice time. With over-agers likely leaving this year, he'll get more ice time.

Top 3? No, I think your right, but he's pretty interesting still.
He showed limited progression for the jump you would expect from a 15-year-old to a 16-year-old. He can still put himself back in the 1OA discussion with a strong year, I'm not writing him off, just saying where he currently stands. Right now though, his stock is on shaky ground. I get a fair amount of Seadogs games with my Rogers Sports pack (Center ice, Sunday Ticket, OHL live etc), as a popular team, they tend to have a fair amount of games picked up. I really like his skating and he's fairly smart, he just hasn't put it togeather in a dominating package. For an exceptional player, I expected more. I know it's unfair to compare him to Crosby and McDavid. But, guys like Stamkos, Hall and Tavares were way ahead at the same age. An undersized Marner at 16 on a stacked team also produced notabely more with unreliable minutes.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
I think Boqvist has a good chance of joining the Knights this upcoming season since Brynas is already stacked with defencemen. If so, it'll be nice that him+Bouchard+Merkley will all be playing in the OHL next season, allows us to more easily compare potential RHD targets in the first round

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think Boqvist has a good chance of joining the Knights this upcoming season since Brynas is already stacked with defencemen. If so, it'll be nice that him+Bouchard+Merkley will all be playing in the OHL next season, allows us to more easily compare potential RHD targets in the first round
I think if there was a good chance they'd take him in the first. Plus, the better Bouchard plays in the Q.

London already has two imports on the roster. Maybe Juolevi makes the NHL and Kuokkanen is put in the AHL. But, I'd be a bit surprised to see him come over.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I've seen Adam Boqvist ranked in the 20's. Obviously it's early, but he is my early favourite Leafs pick at the moment. Love that London drafted him, and could possibly bring him over.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I've seen Adam Boqvist ranked in the 20's. Obviously it's early, but he is my early favourite Leafs pick at the moment. Love that London drafted him, and could possibly bring him over.

Is his brother the player that just got sent to the Blues for Reaves?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Should be a really deep defenseman & C draft. Very excited about the potential to grab a Merkley/Boqvist/Bouchard.
Huh, this might be the worst center draft in the last 5 years. Great on D, but really weak up the middle. I'm not sure if there is even a center in the top 10 right now. Tkachuk is most likely a winger and Veleno has been questionable. The best center might be McBain who is in jr A. It is really strong on the wing though with Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Farabee, and Zadina.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Haha I'm surprised anyone got it tbh.
I'd assume a bunch of here people grew up listening to Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). Hell, I flew to New York to see them live once because I was convinced all of them would never get across the boarder.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I followed the 2015 draft much more than the one that just passed. Hoping to follow this one closer.

Now that we have the future RD we're looking for, does our next target become someone like David Levin? Likely to be in our area, small but can play both wings and has a hell of a wrist shot.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I followed the 2015 draft much more than the one that just passed. Hoping to follow this one closer.

Now that we have the future RD we're looking for, does our next target become someone like David Levin? Likely to be in our area, small but can play both wings and has a hell of a wrist shot.
Probably just pure BPA at this point. Looking at our prospect pool and NHLers U-25 we have no glaring holes.

I don't think Levin ends up being a 1st rounder, and that is before we even get into the mandatory military stuff. I'd think if we are leaning one way, it would be to continue adding defensive depth, next years D-crop looks quite special.

Its really hard to predict how the draft will unfold a year away. Using Hockey Prospects list from last year's edition of the Black Book and listing the guys between 13-23 we would have been choosing between Hague, Yamamoto, Kostin, Morand, Popugaev, Samorukov, Vaakaninan, Ratcliffe, Davidsson, Reedy and Andersson. Of those guys, one moved into the top 10, and another two were drafted in that range. Most ended up going in the 2nd. Two ended up in the 3rd or later. A bunch ended up in the 2nd (Hague, Morand, Ratcliffe, and Davidsson).

From now until a bit after the WJC, I find it's best just to look around and see what is out there before getting to concrete in rankings. I highly doubt Dahlin or Svechnikov slip, but its a bit early to get fixated. I remember thinking in November that unless we got some lotto luck there was no chance we'd get Liljegren.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Probably just pure BPA at this point. Looking at our prospect pool and NHLers U-25 we have no glaring holes.

I don't think Levin ends up being a 1st rounder, and that is before we even get into the mandatory military stuff. I'd think if we are leaning one way, it would be to continue adding defensive depth, next years D-crop looks quite special.

Its really hard to predict how the draft will unfold a year away. Using Hockey Prospects list from last year's edition of the Black Book and listing the guys between 13-23 we would have been choosing between Hague, Yamamoto, Kostin, Morand, Popugaev, Samorukov, Vaakaninan, Ratcliffe, Davidsson, Reedy and Andersson. Of those guys, one moved into the top 10, and another two were drafted in that range. Most ended up going in the 2nd. Two ended up in the 3rd or later. A bunch ended up in the 2nd (Hague, Morand, Ratcliffe, and Davidsson).

From now until a bit after the WJC, I find it's best just to look around and see what is out there before getting to concrete in rankings. I highly doubt Dahlin or Svechnikov slip, but its a bit early to get fixated. I remember thinking in November that unless we got some lotto luck there was no chance we'd get Liljegren.

Good points, i didnt even think of the mandatory military. My thought process was just along the lines of we could use a big finisher. Most of our higher skilled guys are playmakers. I remember around December last year lots of Leafs fans were eyeing up Owen Tippett for the same reasons,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->