2018 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nyquist sucks. He’s a soft complimentary scorer on a non-contender (aka he’s filler).

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
If Snowjob is still the GM he will make his first two picks and then trade both 2nds to get into the very late part of round one, that's usually his move.

Reactions: TavHoSang

SI

Feb 16, 2013
IMO - the first 5 picks will be Dahlin - Svechnikov- Zadina - Boquist- Tkachuk

But after that it seems like very comparable picks from 6-9
Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, Wahlstrom.

Is there a clear BPA or does it come down to preference with this next lot?

Last edited:

Gleb2006

Aug 11, 2010
Would really like Veleno. I see him falling like Barzal did and then lighting up the league in a couple of years. Amazing two way presence and think he could be a player like Bergeron in the NHL one day.

Reactions: SI90

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Don't want Hughes. Any of the other 3 are great. If we get Wahlstrom you have to think we go with Wilde with our 2nd pick. If we get Bouchard or Dobson then you are looking like Lunderstrom with the 2nd pick.

Would not mind moving our 2 seconds back into the 1st for K'Andre Miller or Mattias Samuelsson (Kjell's son)

K'Andre Miller
Mattias Samuelsson

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

ALEXIVICH CHULKATURI

Dec 5, 2010
HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Don't want Hughes. Any of the other 3 are great. If we get Wahlstrom you have to think we go with Wilde with our 2nd pick. If we get Bouchard or Dobson then you are looking like Lunderstrom with the 2nd pick.

Would not mind moving our 2 seconds back into the 1st for K'Andre Miller or Mattias Samuelsson (Kjell's son)

K'Andre Miller
Mattias Samuelsson
May I ask what you think is wrong with Hughes. If it's the size I can't blame you but what you can't see is the size of the heart. One of the more gifted skaters I've ever seen and the league is trending that way. Yes being 5'9 scares the hell out of me but if he was 6'0 tall he'd be the next Drew Doughty. Anyway I think he'll be a hybrid eventually moving over to offense. You can't teach speed.

Reactions: Jester9881

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
May I ask what you think is wrong with Hughes. If it's the size I can't blame you but what you can't see is the size of the heart. One of the more gifted skaters I've ever seen and the league is trending that way. Yes being 5'9 scares the hell out of me but if he was 6'0 tall he'd be the next Drew Doughty. Anyway I think he'll be a hybrid eventually moving over to offense. You can't teach speed.

He reminds me of Dmitry Orlov who is no schlub. I just don't think he is worth the price of where he is going (5/6OA range). Rather Bouchard or Dobson.

Last edited:

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Hughes
Dobson

Reactions: MattBarzal

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Is it too early to be talking about Quinton Byfield? I figure Isles will be in the lottery for a few years after Tavares leaves and he can be our next face of the franchise when Belmont opens? Nice article in the Athletic on him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Is it too early to be talking about Quinton Byfield? I figure Isles will be in the lottery for a few years after Tavares leaves and he can be our next face of the franchise when Belmont opens? Nice article in the Athletic on him.

Yes it is.

Reactions: PROMputt

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

I believe behind Dahlin, Hughes and Boqvist are the two most dynamic players in this draft. If Svechnikov and Zadina weren't as safe bets to be top line wingers, I'd have them in the conversation for 2/3. These guys have the talent to take over a game similar to how Barzal does with skating, speed, hands and vision.

He reminds me of Dmitry Orlov who is no schlub. I just don't think he is worth the price of where he is going (5/6OA range). Rather Bouchard or Dobson.

Orlov is built like a fire plug.... lots of lower body mass. I don't ever see Hughes becoming as much of a physical factor as Orlov. Think more like in the style of Karlsson.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013

K'Andre Miller
Mattias Samuelsson

At the moment my ideal scenario outside of winning the lottery would be Bouchard with our pick then lundstrom with calgarys (barring a lotto win which is the real dream)
Of all the dynamic offensive defenseman being mentioned as top 10 picks I feel like Bouchard might be the best defensively which is really what we need and I'm hoping Bouchard falls to us but the way he's been rising the ranks (and I'm sure Isles will win a few more games they have no business winning before the years over) Id love to add bouchard but don't think its going to happen

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Let's just say we stay pat at #9 and #12 after the lottery, do you trade both picks for pending UFA Oliver Ekman-Larsson?

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
For a UFA??? Are you completely nuts? No one would deal two first rounders for potentially nothing at all. A signed Ekman-Larsson is a different matter though
OEL is signed for next year, at $5.5, and then is a UFA the year after...

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Let's just say we stay pat at #9 and #12 after the lottery, do you trade both picks for pending UFA Oliver Ekman-Larsson?
'
Isn't he RFA, not UFA?

If he is RFA and we do a sign and trade, sending #12, Nelson's rights (or a sign and trade from that end), Ho-Sang and one of our 2nd's AND ARIZONA SAYS YES, I'd do that in a second!

Adding OEL and drafting Dobson? Sign me up!

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
For a UFA??? Are you completely nuts? No one would deal two first rounders for potentially nothing at all. A signed Ekman-Larsson is a different matter though

He will be next season what Tavares is this season. If this trade is made on Draft day, the chances of Tavares re-signing increase. The cap is supposedly going up by $4 million. So, the chances of having them both beyond next year are reasonable.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I feel Bouchard is another Reinhart, wahlstrom a poor man's Ho-Sang and Sammuelsson will not have the foot speed to make it.

Some of the other mock drafts has us picking Ty Smith...Im not sure I like this pick or not. Does anyone know more about this guy? Also is Merkely rising or falling...I could swear he was top 6 or 7, then in the 20's and some places have him in the mid teens. I think he has better talent than most in this draft, but apparently his attitude stinks? Hoping this guy falls because Snow will be all over this.

For me, I am not interested in Veleno. I know we need centres, but I'd rather trade for Suzuki with Vegas than draft Veleno..and pick up someone else in the draft.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I would be thrilled to land one of Bouchard/Boquist/Dobson/Hughes. All of these guys have the potential to be top pairing guys while putting up good offensive numbers from the backend.

Hughes has huge potential. I could see him as a 60 point defenseman one day, but he also has some bust potential.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Not true Garth traded two players that were first round picks and a first for Ryan Smyth.
So although they weren't 2 first in the same draft he did trade 3 first round picks. And he was a UFA.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
We may not win the lottery with either pick, but man, Calgary management and fans have to be sitting on pins and needles. The last time I can think of a somewhat decent defenseman being traded in an advanced year for a number one pick is Tom Kurvers from the New Jersey Devils to the Toronto Maple Leafs for the pick that turned out to be Scott Niedermayer (3rd overall in 1991).

Whoever we wind up with from the Clagary pick is a player who the Flames fans will be keeping a close eye on for many years to come. They'll be rooting against this player, whoever it is, and assuming that he does make it, he'll be measured up against Travis Hamonic both by the Flames fans and by us. I'll know who I want after the lottery. But if we stand pat at 9 and 12, I want:

9 - Noah Dobson or Quinton Hughes

12 - Joe Veleno or Ty Smith

If we win the lottery:

1 - Rasmus Dahlin
2 - Filip Zadina
3 - Brady Tkachuk

*I still see the KHL as a looming threat, so I'd have a tough time selecting Svechnekov.

Gleb2006

Aug 11, 2010
We may not win the lottery with either pick, but man, Calgary management and fans have to be sitting on pins and needles. The last time I can think of a somewhat decent defenseman being traded in an advanced year for a number one pick is Tom Kurvers from the New Jersey Devils to the Toronto Maple Leafs for the pick that turned out to be Scott Niedermayer (3rd overall in 1991).

Whoever we wind up with from the Clagary pick is a player who the Flames fans will be keeping a close eye on for many years to come. They'll be rooting against this player, whoever it is, and assuming that he does make it, he'll be measured up against Travis Hamonic both by the Flames fans and by us. I'll know who I want after the lottery. But if we stand pat at 9 and 12, I want:

9 - Noah Dobson or Quinton Hughes

12 - Joe Veleno or Ty Smith

If we win the lottery:

1 - Rasmus Dahlin
2 - Filip Zadina
3 - Brady Tkachuk

*I still see the KHL as a looming threat, so I'd have a tough time selecting Svechnekov.

And not exactly the first overall pick but when the Leafs traded what ended up being Tyler Seguin for Phil Kessel is similar too. Somehow worked out for everyone at the end though

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Has anyone seen this kid Ty Smith pkay? Heard he has great wheels and is putting up big points but for some reason is not getting any love. I know he is smallish but the way the league is trending, that can't be held as much against him like in the past.

I've never seen him play so looking to hear what someone who has give their impression. I've seen his name coming to us with the Flames pick in a couple of mocks.

Also, when do the do the drawing for the lottery?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Has anyone seen this kid Ty Smith pkay? Heard he has great wheels and is putting up big points but for some reason is not getting any love. I know he is smallish but the way the league is trending, that can't be held as much against him like in the past.

I've never seen him play so looking to hear what someone who has give their impression. I've seen his name coming to us with the Flames pick in a couple of mocks.

Also, when do the do the drawing for the lottery?
I read somewhere possibly April 28.

I believe Konk has watched him and liked him very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad