2018 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects - 2017/18 Season (Midterm updated)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
What about Marchenko? I saw few games stream from U18 tourney and he looked very good.

He obviously is big and with good hands and thinks the game well, but the skating is not there (at least by modern standards, you can't get away just by being big nowadays) and not like he would compensate it with some two-way game. Not to mention that in the first half of the season he didn't look too good. Reminded me of Trenin a bit, but I think even Trenin has a better acceleration and I kind of liked Trenin's overall game more.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
Thanks he look so good on tourney. In game with Sweden think their line with Iskhakov and Morozov was best from Russian. When you mention two-way game I was suprised how hard working Svechnikov is,so often helping stop fast breaks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thoughts on Razat Timirov? Has pretty good numbers in the MHL and he’s not too small.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Thoughts on Razat Timirov? Has pretty good numbers in the MHL and he’s not too small.

In my opinion, he is one of the guys, that I'd like to see playing Vs. men to be able to properly evaluate. But yes, skills and wheels are there.

How's Zhuravlyov doing ? Really impressed me at the 5 nations.

One of the "mysteries" that still remains for me: I like him with the puck (passing and shot and overall puckmoving), yet I'm not a fan how he looks at the D. With that being said, he looks much better and stronger to me than he was at the start of the season, so I hope for something good at the U18 WJC.

How do you view Kravtsov vs. Denisenko?

It's almost an internal holywar for me. :D Currently I like Kravtsov more and his overall performance and production Vs. pros is a very good sign, but he is also half year older, which is a thing to be considered. But otherwise I think it is a very close call: Denisenko's puck skills are probably one of a kind, but Kravtsov has a size advantage.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Short story I like to share - I went to recent U18 Russia USA game in Plymouth MI. Arena was half full, so I start walking around - oh man its Yzerman, Pronger, Pete Deboer etc. then I realize that most of the attendance is actually NHL and OHL teams scouting staffs. So we go to our seats (I have the stubs to prove) which are highest row at center ice. Behind us are the seats to the executive suites... So guys sitting there are Chris Draper, Ken Holland and several other DRW scouting staff.

Draper leans over and tells us to watch this #14 kid because he's special. We ask if the DRW are looking at Svech, they say everyone knows about him, so were here to see 14, see his compete level etc. Shortly after he scores a sick goal set up from Khovanov & Svech, Draper leans over again and says- see, I told you, special player.

Denisenko obviously teams know about, but good chance DRW are going to get him seeing that they will end up in 10-15 range.

Looking at his MHL stats you are probably wondering what is wrong with this guy, but it was evident from even the warm up that he has high end skills. Hes got those sick Russian hands and moves. BTW Slepets had 2 pretty modest years there in terms of stats, not sure what is going on in Loko junior

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Caser, do you have anything on German Grachyov? Small Russian winger putting up pretty good numbers in MHL (30 goals and 63 points in 64 games).

Reactions: Mrb1p

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Caser, do you have anything on German Grachyov? Small Russian winger putting up pretty good numbers in MHL (30 goals and 63 points in 64 games).

He got some hands and can skate, production is also a nice bonus, but I'm still not sure in my opinion about him, will be watching him in the upcoming MHL play-off games, should be a good test for him.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Central Scouting final rankings are out and while I have my grain of salt for them, it's hard to not to notice that they have Yegor Zamula and Kirill Marchenko pretty high, which is something to take note of.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Svechnikov is almost an undisputed #2 on recent BobMcKenzie's scouts poll, Denisenko and Kravtsov are tied at #15.
I know you follow russian prospects. What do you think of Bulat shafigullin? I don't know that much about him.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I know you follow russian prospects. What do you think of Bulat shafigullin? I don't know that much about him.

Shafigullin's skillset is definitely very good and actually in terms of attacking skills it can be called almost complete, but I don't like the hockey sense here. I know it is a lazy comparison, but when I seen him I couldn't get away from remembering Yakupov at that age.

Reactions: Habs76

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I stumbled on to the treasure chest of the MHL's YouTube channel, so many full games to watch :popcorn:

Anyway, watching a lot of Reaktor games, Khafizov is really standing out for me, and 6'5" to boot. Thoughts on him?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Shafigullin's skillset is definitely very good and actually in terms of attacking skills it can be called almost complete, but I don't like the hockey sense here. I know it is a lazy comparison, but when I seen him I couldn't get away from remembering Yakupov at that age.

Yakupov was a pretty damn good player at that age.

What do you not like about Shafigullin's hockey sense? I think he knows exactly what to do in order to score. He gets flack for neglecting his defensive responsibilities, which I don't think is that big of a deal with a guy this talented and not even projected for the first round.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I stumbled on to the treasure chest of the MHL's YouTube channel, so many full games to watch :popcorn:

Anyway, watching a lot of Reaktor games, Khafizov is really standing out for me, and 6'5" to boot. Thoughts on him?

There's also VHL youtube channel. ;) About Khafizov I liked him in the MHL, but it's not hard to be good there at his age and size. In the U20 NT he wasn't that impressive at all.

Yakupov was a pretty damn good player at that age.

What do you not like about Shafigullin's hockey sense? I think he knows exactly what to do in order to score. He gets flack for neglecting his defensive responsibilities, which I don't think is that big of a deal with a guy this talented and not even projected for the first round.

Sometimes I don't like the way he is making decisions, for example, in the development phase of the attack. Also I had an impression of him as a player, who relies mostly on his raw skills (which he certainy does have), and that kind of an approach likely won't work as successfuly outside of junior leagues.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Sometimes I don't like the way he is making decisions, for example, in the development phase of the attack. Also I had an impression of him as a player, who relies mostly on his raw skills (which he certainy does have), and that kind of an approach likely won't work as successfuly outside of junior leagues.

Don't agree with you at all. Most of his goals, I see, he rather relies on his hockey sense, than anything else. He can score pretty goals, but most of them are dirty ones, when he just knows, where he should be for the final touch. Nothing in common with Yakupov.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Outside Svechnikov, Denisenko there are no sure shots. Tampa has no high picks, do they?
#59 is their earliest pick. Before trading their 1st round pick I wanted them to take Denisenko, now I'm forced to get more creative.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
#59 is their earliest pick. Before trading their 1st round pick I wanted them to take Denisenko, now I'm forced to get more creative.
I don't see hidden gems out of Russia at 59 unless a guy like Kravtsov falls that deep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->