NFL: 2018 NFL off-season news & notes thread (Vikings sign Hunter to big extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Raiders are improving their defense by signing some young-ish underrated players. Whitehead is pretty good from what I saw with the Lions.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
GB has better QB and the interior dline is close.. other than that, vikings roster is better in every other area and they have better coaching staff.
True, but a QB like Rodgers can still change everything. An all-time great QB can cover up a ton of other weaknesses on the roster.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

First cap casualty. His role has decreased in recent years but he's still better than Treadwell.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

First cap casualty. His role has decreased in recent years but he's still better than Treadwell.

It'll be interesting to see how it affect the offense if no other big moves are made. Thielen is great in the slot so it may not be a bad thing, but so much is dependent on Treadwell. If he can find a connection with Cousins, it may benefit the offense. That's a massive "if" though.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Whoever plays outside the numbers, they will suffer. Cousins struggles to throw outside. Rudolph and whoever is in the slot will get a lot of balls. For all the grief Keenum got, his ability to create and throw outside the numbers really helped that offense.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It'll be interesting to see how it affect the offense if no other big moves are made. Thielen is great in the slot so it may not be a bad thing, but so much is dependent on Treadwell. If he can find a connection with Cousins, it may benefit the offense. That's a massive "if" though.

Treadwell looks like a complete bust so far. He isn't a great route runner, can't get any separation, and doesn't have the athleticism to go up and get a contested ball. It's basically the worst possible combination for a WR. I think he probably gets one last chance but it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't on the team next season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He got back plenty which is why he was selected in 1st round and why he was productive coming back from injury

You just refuse to accept he is not a good WR

A Viking Fan above you pointed out his major failings. Running poor routes is not fault of an injury in college (That he fully recovered from) nor is refusal to fight for 50/50 balls

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He got back plenty which is why he was selected in 1st round and why he was productive coming back from injury

You just refuse to accept he is not a good WR

A Viking Fan above you pointed out his major failings. Running poor routes is not fault of an injury in college (That he fully recovered from) nor is refusal to fight for 50/50 balls

It is when you're a big receiver that relies on agility and athleticism to get open. You never watched him. You stat watch. They picked him on a projection. It hasn't worked because he's not precise enough to overcome athletic shortcomings. Now stay in your lane and cheerlead mediocrity like Blake Bortles.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
True, but a QB like Rodgers can still change everything. An all-time great QB can cover up a ton of other weaknesses on the roster.

This is such hyperbole. Yeah, he’s great, but one SB 7 years ago and you think he can cover each team weakness? Come on. Vikings are clearly better.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Is Eric Decker any good? Or should I say is he good as the number 3? Not sure how much he is commanding but I wonder if they have interest in bringing in a local guy(I think they did in the past) and I wonder if he is willing to go back home for a decent price.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The Raiders are improving their defense by signing some young-ish underrated players. Whitehead is pretty good from what I saw with the Lions.

He's versatile. Never going to be a pro-bowl type guy.

But this is a guy who overachieved as a 5th round pick ST only to full-time starter. Hope it works out for him.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
good run stopper on the market, can play 3 and 1 tech. doesn't offer much in the pass rush though

I rather the Saints focus their attention signing this guy over Suh. Yes, Suh is a beast but I think Hankins is a better fit without breaking the bank. It'd allow Rankins to pass rush rather than eat up blocks plus just having a tackle duo named Rankins and Hankins is too perfect.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Colts fan here, bit surprised to see Hankins released. He was a good player for us.

As to the Cowboys I can see their going all in on Earl Thomas.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is Eric Decker any good? Or should I say is he good as the number 3? Not sure how much he is commanding but I wonder if they have interest in bringing in a local guy(I think they did in the past) and I wonder if he is willing to go back home for a decent price.

I think Decker's done or very close to it. They like the two young guys they have (Coley and Jones) but I don't think you can count on one of them to step up as a #3. Wright said he could be back on a cheaper deal so maybe they go back to him if they can't find someone else. The draft is a possibility as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->