GDT: 2018 NFL Draft

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I find this hilarious if it's accurate and Mayfield really does end up being the pick. Dorsey and even big mouth Jimmy Haslam kept it under wraps for a month and the minute they fill Hue in, it gets out into the media.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Josh Allen stuff is such media-created junk. Some tweets with no context from a kid when he was in high-school aren't relevant at all and won't change anything that happens tonight. I'm glad this stuff came out today and not weeks ago so I wouldn't have to hear about it for weeks leading up.

Well tell that to Tunsil and arguably Tunsil's 'transgression' was not even as bad as Allen repeatedly using racially charged words, but Tunsil defintely dropped. The Giants in particular x'ed him out and regret it picking the immortal Eli Apple instead.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The Josh Allen stuff is such media-created junk. Some tweets with no context from a kid when he was in high-school aren't relevant at all and won't change anything that happens tonight. I'm glad this stuff came out today and not weeks ago so I wouldn't have to hear about it for weeks leading up.

Except the racist part.

And, him not having the mind or thought to purge his social media at some point. That's more on his agent/camp though.

red flags.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Rosen is so polarizing for teams for some reason. It seems like he should be near the top of the class as a no brainer, but I guess his personality puts off some teams. Darnold feels like a safer pick both off and on the field, though with potentially a lower ceiling. I know it's silly, but I'd also be wary of the USC QB "curse" that only Carson Palmer seems to have escaped from.

It does seem like a lot of teams are going to go home thinking they got their guy, mostly because guys below them might panic and trade up not in an effort to jump teams, but so someone else doesn't do it first.

Rosen's biggest issue is his durability.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
f*** I hope it’s Mayfield and the Giants move down. If they pick Barkley at 2 with Darnold on the board, it’ll be a mistake that can stagnate the franchise for a few years.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
One thing that always puzzles me about the NFL draft.

I mean obviously you need a good QB to win the Superbowl. It's rare that a team without a good QB wins the Superbowl.

But in a draft like this, where there is no clear Andrew Luck like talent.. wouldn't you be better off using the picks on more valuable positional players, understand you're likely going to be troubled again but at least maybe you get a shot at a true franchise changing talent in a future year?

Reaches for Tannehill, Bortles, Ponder, Manuel, etc. have not really proved very fruitful.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I mean obviously you need a good QB to win the Superbowl. It's rare that a team without a good QB wins the Superbowl.

But in a draft like this, where there is no clear Andrew Luck like talent.. wouldn't you be better off using the picks on more valuable positional players, understand you're likely going to be troubled again but at least maybe you get a shot at a true franchise changing talent in a future year?

Reaches for Tannehill, Bortles, Ponder, Manuel, etc. have not really proved very fruitful.

That’s one way to go. But, the window for a team without a good QB to win is pretty small. When guys come up for new contracts only so much room to go around.

Denver didn’t spend much cap on their QB the past 2 seasons, yet they still had good players leave.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I assumed Mayfield to Cleveland was just a smokescreen. If that's true...then LOL indeed

I'm expecting Detroit to go either DL or RB. But I prefer to trade down a few slots.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I assumed Mayfield to Cleveland was just a smokescreen. If that's true...then LOL indeed

I'm expecting Detroit to go either DL or RB. But I prefer to trade down a few slots.

What advantage does throwing a smokescreen up at 1 really do? Is it trying to bait a team that loves Baker Mayfield to trade up to 1?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

At the same token, no one really thought much of Wentz and Goff.

I mean how often are guys like Andrew Luck available?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
At the same token, no one really thought much of Wentz and Goff.

I mean how often are guys like Andrew Luck available?

That's true, although Goff definitely needed McVay to come in and sort him out. Year 1, Goff looked exactly what every denier said about him.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
What advantage does throwing a smokescreen up at 1 really do? Is it trying to bait a team that loves Baker Mayfield to trade up to 1?
Two things:

1) keeps teams guessing about the order of things, which helps the Browns with their pick at #4. They hope the uncertainty of their pick leads to a bit of panic when thing start to unfold.

2) not knowing is good for ratings. Creates suspense and will have more TVs on the moment the draft starts.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
That's true, although Goff definitely needed McVay to come in and sort him out. Year 1, Goff looked exactly what every denier said about him.

Goff is still a work in progress. He struggles if the play doesn't go as planned. Wentz has scattershot accuracy but his ability to make plays off script is so good that you live with the average ball placement and decision making.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Two theories:

-Trying to bait the Jets into trading up again believing they're infatuated with Mayfield or only want one of Mayfield/Darnold and might worry about missing both
-Trying to bait someone into trading up with the Giants if they want Mayfield/Darnold so QB's can go 1-2-3 and the Browns get Barkley at 4.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Also, if the Browns draft Baker Mayfield, you need to keep an eye on Browns writer Tony Grossi. He hates Mayfield. He constantly compares Mayfield to Manziel. He’s been a petulant child about it. My guess is Mayfield must have declined an interview request because this is personal.

Grossi’s childish approach to Mayfield makes me hope the Browns draft him and he leads them to multiple Super Bowls.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Except the racist part.

And, him not having the mind or thought to purge his social media at some point. That's more on his agent/camp though.

red flags.

On ESPN's First Take on Thursday, NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported that his sources indicated that Allen's Twitter account was vetted in January and that the offensive tweets were removed then.

Release of H.S. tweets put QB Allen 'in a panic'

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Also, if the Browns draft Baker Mayfield, you need to keep an eye on Browns writer Tony Grossi. He hates Mayfield. He constantly compares Mayfield to Manziel. He’s been a petulant child about it. My guess is Mayfield must have declined an interview request because this is personal.

Grossi’s childish approach to Mayfield makes me hope the Browns draft him and he leads them to multiple Super Bowls.

See Baker will clap back. He's salty.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Dbt5l1kW0AEAPus.jpg

Come on Browns, don't get cute.

Reactions: What the Faulk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad