NFL: 2018 NFL draft prospects thread

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
If someone takes Josh Allen or Darnold over Lamar Jackson. I'm sending my resume in for a front office job.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah Jackson is the best. Darnold and Stidham look like 2019 picks. Rudolph is a day 2 or 3 guy. I hoped he'd build on his Jr year but he hasn't improved where he needed too. Jackson's flaws are with his feet which are fixable. He also has the experience at running an offense that contains a lot of nfl concepts.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah Jackson is the best. Darnold and Stidham look like 2019 picks. Rudolph is a day 2 or 3 guy. I hoped he'd build on his Jr year but he hasn't improved where he needed too. Jackson's flaws are with his feet which are fixable. He also has the experience at running an offense that contains a lot of nfl concepts.

You think Jackson can be like Vick? I don't know if he can run it like he does in the pro's and without that threat I don't know if he can sit in the pocket and sling it. If he can be Vick like where he has the passing ability to open up his runs he could workout but I have to watch his pocket work more.

I can see your comparison of Mayfield to Garcia, problem is he's going to need an offense that is suited for him. I also think Garcia had a better arm and could make more throws than Baker, Garcia was also much older when he made it so Mayfield has some time to develop more.

Not a fan of Ferguson? He stuck up the joint against UCF but has been good in all other games. He's like Mayfield but more NFL type body, 6'4 compared to 6'1.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
You think Jackson can be like Vick? I don't know if he can run it like he does in the pro's and without that threat I don't know if he can sit in the pocket and sling it. If he can be Vick like where he has the passing ability to open up his runs he could workout but I have to watch his pocket work more.

I can see your comparison of Mayfield to Garcia, problem is he's going to need an offense that is suited for him. I also think Garcia had a better arm and could make more throws than Baker, Garcia was also much older when he made it so Mayfield has some time to develop more.

Not a fan of Ferguson? He stuck up the joint against UCF but has been good in all other games. He's like Mayfield but more NFL type body, 6'4 compared to 6'1.

Jackson isn't a straight line speed guy like RG3 or Vick. He's elusive. He takes all his big hits when he stands in the pocket ironically. Mayfield has an above average arm and would fit in a lot of the modern NFL offenses. I like Riley Ferguson. Just not sure where to slot him. I think he can be a Dalton level starter.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Jackson isn't a straight line speed guy like RG3 or Vick. He's elusive. He takes all his big hits when he stands in the pocket ironically. Mayfield has an above average arm and would fit in a lot of the modern NFL offenses. I like Riley Ferguson. Just not sure where to slot him. I think he can be a Dalton level starter.

I think Jackson is best served switching to WR. With his elusiveness he could be a great wideout and you could run some wildcat or WR passes with him. Like you say he gets hit in the pocket, he's not huge so that'll take it toll and now he tucks it and runs when pressure is on him in the pro's he won't make the big plays like he does now. If his comp is RG3 you can't make him a day 1 pick, too risky.

Maybe Mayfield can be a Tyrod Taylor where he sits a few years to learn the pro game then become a mid level starter. I like his moxey, think he can use that to will his team to a few extra wins it. I can see the Dalton stuff, better runner but less polished as a passer than him. I know you hate Allen but his tape is good and he's got the measurables. See some young Tony Romo in the kid, also see some Blaine Gabbert too which is the big worry.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I think Jackson is best served switching to WR. With his elusiveness he could be a great wideout and you could run some wildcat or WR passes with him. Like you say he gets hit in the pocket, he's not huge so that'll take it toll and now he tucks it and runs when pressure is on him in the pro's he won't make the big plays like he does now. If his comp is RG3 you can't make him a day 1 pick, too risky.

Maybe Mayfield can be a Tyrod Taylor where he sits a few years to learn the pro game then become a mid level starter. I like his moxey, think he can use that to will his team to a few extra wins it. I can see the Dalton stuff, better runner but less polished as a passer than him. I know you hate Allen but his tape is good and he's got the measurables. See some young Tony Romo in the kid, also see some Blaine Gabbert too which is the big worry.

Lamar Jackson is not a WR. He's never played WR. I never comped him to RG3. You did. Have you ever watched him play or do you just see highlights? He takes hits in the pocket because his line can't block. He's 6'3" 211. Bigger than Jared Goff.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Lamar Jackson is not a WR. He's never played WR. I never comped him to RG3. You did. Have you ever watched him play or do you just see highlights? He takes hits in the pocket because his line can't block. He's 6'3" 211. Bigger than Jared Goff.

Lots of college QB's switch position when they get to the NFL without having played it before. If you think he's an NFL QB that's fine, he probably does too but I think he can make the most of his career converting to WR where he can use his playmaking ability more. There's mechanical issues with him that are fixable but that doesn't always happen. You mentioned something about RG3 so thought you were comparing, I see you just were talking about how RG3 is more a straight line runner. I have watched him but I don't stay on one game and focus on specific players so I haven't looked at how bad his oline is, Josh Allen has a worse oline and receivers but you don't cut him any slack. Goff is listed 6'4 225 by the way.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Goff was not 225 when drafted. Again he's never played receiver. Its not easy to learn a new position. He's a Quarterback. Lamar manages to carry his team to victories in a P5 conference despite his supporting cast and bad defense.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Goff was not 225 when drafted. Again he's never played receiver. Its not easy to learn a new position. He's a Quarterback. Lamar manages to carry his team to victories in a P5 conference despite his supporting cast and bad defense.

Tyrell Pryor never played WR, Brad Smith or Julien Edelman either and they did ok. If he wants to be a QB that's fine I just don't think he's going to be hugely successful. Neither Jackson nor Allen have beaten a team with record above .500 this year so neither is carrying their teams to good victories.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Tyrell Pryor never played WR, Brad Smith or Julien Edelman either and they did ok. If he wants to be a QB that's fine I just don't think he's going to be hugely successful. Neither Jackson nor Allen have beaten a team with record above .500 this year so neither is carrying their teams to good victories.

Those guys weren't nearly as talented as Lamar. One plays in the Mountain West and the other the ACC. Josh Allen doesn't dominate. Carson Wentz is an exception not the rule. Small school qb's are routinely overrated by fans.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Those guys weren't nearly as talented as Lamar. One plays in the Mountain West and the other the ACC. Josh Allen doesn't dominate. Carson Wentz is an exception not the rule. Small school qb's are routinely overrated by fans.
A lot of the hyped QB's haven't been very impressive. They do have the option to return to school. Darnold can return to USC for his RS Junior year. Allen, he's played a year at a JuCo, transferred to Wyoming, got hurt in 2015, played 2016 and 2017. Hasn't been up to expectations this season.

I do wonder if he might consider transferring from Wyoming and moving up to Div 1. I think he can do that without having to redshirt in 2018.

If neither of these guys opt for the draft, it weakens the QB field. down to Rosen, who is a 3 year starter at UCLA. He'll have 30 plus starts under his belt by the draft. And you have Jackson and a few others. But, definitely not as strong as it was expected to be.

Wonder if Cleveland having the top pick would influence whether any QB opts to remain in school rather than enter that mess.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Didn't they say going into draft last year that this years QB class would be better?

I thought that was talk but it seems at this point last years was deeper and better

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Here we go again with the Browns. Looking two high 1st round picks again this year.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Grier needs to stay in school. Makes splash plays but snap to snap consistency isn't there. Hasn't played much football like Darnold. Same as Stidham. All have the physical talent but need more reps.

Rosen, Jackson and Mayfield are the top 3. Senior Bowl will be huge for Mayfield, Rudolph and Kurt Benkert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->