Golf: 2018 Masters Tournament | APRIL 5th - APRIL 8th| ESPN + CBS

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not sure it's the ideal course tee to green for Norén, but he's got the shots and putting. The Open is where I see his biggest chances at a major. But I'll root for him.

Hoping for a good first round from Noren, need ANGC to want more incentive to put his group in the Friday morning featured groups. Oosthuizen likely won't help the cause. :laugh:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
"Golf has parity"

Uh, no it doesn't.

The past era had two elite players, the current era has two elite players, and maybe a third (Thomas), if he can sustain his production the upcoming years.

Johnson has 1 major and he's 33. Sorry, thats a good career, but no one will care who was World #1 whatever year. Lee Westwood and Luke Donald are former World #1's. Respect for Jon Rahm's game, but have the season Thomas had last year, and then you enter the discussion. Same thing for Fleetwood and Matsuyama, although there's less shine, but they are still relatively young. Prove yourselves in the four biggest events, win POY. Fowler's an orange jumpsuit gimmick. A bunch of other real solid pros like Rose, Stenson, Garcia, Day, but every era has those.

Tiger and Phil deserve everyone's full respect for their careers. Two of the all time greats. I'm hopeful Tiger can still put in another 5-10 years and challenge Jack's record, he certainly has the talent to challenge the game's elite, not sure if he has the fitness for it anymore, but I'll be rooting for him, like I have since I became interested in golf. Phil can put in a good performance every now and then, but doesn't have the consistency anymore. Never was great in that category to begin with. He might entertain another time or two at a major though.

/End golf state of the union. :laugh:

I agree with this for the most part.

I think the perception of parity is in large part because Tiger/Phil completely and utterly dominated the tour when in their prime. In comparison to that, there is parity at this point in golf.

I think JT will prove he's in the elite tier players this year. He has had a phenomenal start to the season already, and is still very young in golf terms. With the way he's playing, I think he's as good a bet as anyone to win this week.

Jan 3, 2012
You people are nuts. Rickie has twice the professional wins of Fleetwood and is only two years older.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think Fleetwood is a certainty, I just think he did enough last year to be given the right to prove himself. Let's see if last year on the European Tour was a fluke. Win 2-3 times on the PGA Tour this season. Win a major. It's a little easier to speak about players who've been playing the big events for years.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
You people are nuts. Rickie has twice the professional wins of Fleetwood and is only two years older.

But Fleetwood is correctly seen as an up-and-coming younger player who is probably a few tiers below the top elites. Rickie on the other hand still gets grouped in with the top players (although this perception does seem to be changing slowly), despite only having 2 wins against elite fields in his career and having cooled down significantly at the majors since 2014. IMO, Rickie is closer to Reed than he is to JT/DJ/Spieth, and I imagine that would be considered a blasphemous opinion to most golf fans.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Jan 3, 2012
Nice typo in this PGA tour article on Tiger at the Masters. Says he shot a 61 on Sunday in 2002. Just about blew my mind.

Benn14

Mar 16, 2013
Vancouver BC
How does everyone feel about these players as sleepers?

Paul Casey
Stenson
Kuchar
Oosthuizen
Leishman
Noren
Hoffman
Berger
Fleetwod

Any chance of them winning or anybody I missed? First time doing a masters pool

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

Paul Casey
Stenson
Kuchar
Oosthuizen
Leishman
Noren
Hoffman
Berger
Fleetwod

My sleeper is Pieters, but I feel like that’s more based on bias (Illinois fan) than anything haha.

Jan 3, 2012

Paul Casey
Stenson
Kuchar
Oosthuizen
Leishman
Noren
Hoffman
Berger
Fleetwod

All solid picks outside teh big names I'd say except for Louis, don't see him winning.

Benn14

Mar 16, 2013
Vancouver BC
Thank you both! How come Stenson is so bad in this event? I really like him, and want to take him but is Casey a better choice?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->