GDT: 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship/Buffalo, NY/Gold-Canada/Silver-Sweden/Bronze-United States

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Q&A With ... Minnesota Forward Casey Mittelstadt - By Tim Rappleye/CHN Reporter -
In the midst of a scintillating series between Minnesota and Michigan at Yost Arena, Gophers freshman Casey Mittelstadt spoke with us about his freshman year, which has been solid so far with 3-9-12 in 11 games, and a plus-7 rating. Mittelstadt was the highest selected NCAA player in last June's NHL Draft, by Buffalo. Buffalo is also site of this year's World Junior tournament, which Mittelstadt figures to play a prominent role for Team USA.

Rappleye: On the topic of World Juniors, once the first half of the college season is complete, the odds are you are going to be an important point producer for Team USA. Does that cross your mind at all?
Mittelstadt: Not really. At this point we’ve got to come out and get some wins back here with Minnesota. It’s important to get a good start and I think for us we’re starting to get rolling, making plays and play how we want. I’m definitely focused on being with Minnesota right now, and when time comes, I’ll be ready for that.

Rappleye: There’s one cherry on top of the Sundae, the outdoor game versus Canada. Have you played in some big outdoor games in the past?
Mittelstadt: I played in Hockey Day in Minnesota last year, that was outdoors in Stillwater, Minnesota. That was a pretty big deal in Minnesota. Hopefully if I make it there (Buffalo) it probably won’t compare, it will be pretty special.

Rappleye: Do you remember watching Sid Crosby’s winning goal in that first Winter Classic back in snowy Bufffalo? Because you’ll be playing in that same venue.
Mittelstadt: I’m probably the biggest Crosby fan you’ll ever find, so yeah, I have definitely seen that, it will be special to go out, especially to play against Canada in that big game on New Year’s Eve. I’ve watched that since I was a young boy, being able to go out and play in that will be something cool and will cherish it.

Rappleye: You have a lot of new fans in Buffalo since the NHL draft. You spent time at the NHL Combine. Have you sampled the culture, the Buffalo wings? What’s your memory of Buffalo and your thoughts about the city?
Mittelstadt: Actually, my earliest memory of Buffalo was really just to fly in there when we’re going to Toronto and spend the night. I’ve had some of the wings, I’ve been around to a few places, I think the Anchor Bar was the first one I went to. I’ve been there, been to development camp, not too much, but I’ve seen a little bit. Everything I’ve seen I’ve liked.

Rest Of The Interview - Q&A With ... Minnesota Forward Casey Mittelstadt

Last edited:

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+

Rappleye: There’s one cherry on top of the Sundae, the outdoor game versus Canada. Have you played in some big outdoor games in the past?
Mittelstadt: I played in Hockey Day in Minnesota last year, that was outdoors in Stillwater, Minnesota. That was a pretty big deal in Minnesota. Hopefully if I make it there (Buffalo) it probably won’t compare, it will be pretty special.

Man, Casey loves Minnesota. He grew up watching Hockey Day in Minnesota, so obviously it held a high place, but that's way more interesting of an answer than a canned "oh sure, it'd would be incredible."

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Fans will have a chance to skate on the outdoor rink at New Era Field. But it will cost you.

Organizers of the IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship announced two sessions of open skating for fans, from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm on Wednesday, December 27 and from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm on Thursday, December 28. The cost is $100 and includes a 300 level ticket to the United States vs Canada outdoor game scheduled for 3:00 pm on Friday, December 29, at New Era Field in Orchard Park.

Skaters will enter the stadium through Gate 1 and head toward section 122/123 for field and ice access. There will be a warming station in New Era Field's east end zone tunnel, and fans can purchase concessions at the Miller Lite Brew Pub. Participants must bring their own skates, and helmets are required for anyone under the age of 12.

The offer is first open to Bills season ticket members, Sabres season ticket holders, and My One Buffalo members starting Thursday. Remaining slots are open to the general public beginning at 10:00 am on December 1.

Skating opportunities at New Era Field outdoor rink

LaxSabre - Cool idea (although $85 to skate is a alot - 300 level tickets go for $15 right?)
No price though if you already have a ticket to the game?

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Prince Albert, SK – The Prince Albert Raiders are pleased to announce that defencemen Vojtech Budik has been invited to Team Czech Republic’s training camp for the 2018 World Junior Hockey Championship in Buffalo, New York. The camp begins on Wednesday, December 13.

Budik, a fifth-round pick of the Buffalo Sabres in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, suited up for two games at last year’s World Junior Championship. He has previously represented the Czech Republic at the World Under-18 Championship and the European Youth Olympic Festival.

Through 27 games this season, Budik has a goal and five assists. The Chvojenec product has played in 153 career games with Prince Albert, scoring 5 goals and adding 43 assists.

Budik Heading To World Junior Camp – Prince Albert Raiders

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The creative minds and artwork of two Canadian hockey fans will be front-and-centre at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship, with their winning sketches having been selected as the fan-favourites in the Design-A-Mask contest, hosted by Hockey Canada partners Boston Pizza and Bauer.

Canada’s National Junior Team goaltenders will wear the masks illustrated by 18-year-old Brooks Freeman of Virden, Man., who won in the 13-18 category, and 12-year old Brody Panich, of Edmonton, Alta, who took top honours in the under-13 category. Both designs were chosen among four finalists through online voting that garnered more than 12,000 total votes. For their winning designs, Freeman and Panich will receive their own replica masks, a Team Canada hockey jersey, as well as a trip for two to a Team Canada game at the 2018 IIHF World Championship, as part of their Boston Pizza prize-pack.

Canadian kids were invited to submit their designs by downloading the contest forms from the Hockey Canada web site, or picking them up at Boston Pizza locations across the country. Design-A-Mask is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that gives budding artists and fans a chance to be part of the IIHF World Junior Championship in a unique way by giving Canada’s goaltenders Canadian artwork to wear on the ice.

Canadian artwork on display at 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship

Last edited:

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Swedish coach says there is a 50% chance sabres releases nylander for wjc. I thought buffalo greenlighted it already?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So with Pu, Weissbach and Nylander out we are bottom of the league and have a grand total of 4 players at the WJC by my count. :confused: "but why is everyone so negative" ... I hope at least Casey lights it up and some pleasant surprise from Davidsson.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie -

Obviously, six NHL players eligible to play on Team CAN for WJC won’t be on today’s list of 32.
They include 3 D - Victor Mete (MTL), Samuel Girard (COL) and Jakob Chychrun (ARI) - and
3 F - Pierre Luc Dubois (CBJ), Nolan Patrick (PHI), Tyson Jost (COL).

December 19, which coincides with the NHL roster freeze, is the last day an NHL player could be loaned out/assigned to Team CAN. Team CAN camp opens Monday with players reporting, on ice Tuesday.

Those who attended Team CAN WJC summer camp but not invited to final camp:
Goalies Dylan Wells (EDM) and Stuart Skinner (EDM); D-men Nic Hague (VGK) and David Quenneville (NYI).

Forwards not going to final camp who were invited to summer camp:
Will Bitten (MTL), Matthew Phillips (CGY), Cliff Pu (BUF), Michael Rasmussen (DET), Mason Shaw (MIN), Givani Smith (DET),
Owen Tippett (FLA), Adam Mascherin (FLA), Tyler Benson (VAN), Gabe Vilardi (LA).

Goalies going to final camp who weren’t at summer camp:
Samuel Harvey (undrafted) of Rouyn-Noranda and Colton Point (DAL) of Colgate University.
Mario Ferraro (SJ) of UMass-Amherst the only D attending camp who wasn’t invited in summer.

Forwards not at summer camp but making final selection camp:
Drake Batherson (OTT) of Cape Breton, Maxime Comtois (ANA) of Victoriaville, Alex Formenton (OTT) of London,
Tyler Steenbergen (ARI) of Swift Current.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kris Baker‏ @SabresProspects -
London Knights forward Cliff Pu among a few notable omissions from Canada's World Junior Selection Camp roster.
So no Pu leaves the Sabres down to five WJC hopefuls:
Davidsson, Mittelstadt, Luukkonen, Budik and the biggest question mark Nylander.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad