2018 IIHF WHC Awards

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Wild guesses, but nah, he was a top 3 forward in the tournament. On top of that, Aho and Kane also choked when it mattered.

Good tries though.

Good try mate.
McDavid lost.
No consolation price for a loser in the semifinals and bronze medal game.

Get over it and move on.

Rakell 6 G and 8 A = 14 Pts + Gold Medal
McDavid 5 G and 12 A = 17 Pts + NOTHING
Kane 8 G and 12 A = 20 Pts + Bronze Medal
Aho 9 G and 9 A = 18 Pts = more than McDavid

Gold medal weighs more than nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trilliann

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good try mate.
McDavid lost.
No consolation price for a loser in the semifinals and bronze medal game.

Get over it and move on.

Rakell 6 G and 8 A = 14 Pts + Gold Medal
McDavid 5 G and 12 A = 17 Pts + NOTHING
Kane 8 G and 12 A = 20 Pts + Bronze Medal
Aho 9 G and 9 A = 18 Pts = more than McDavid

Gold medal weighs more than nothing.

Again team success is different than individual success.

This is like the crowd that would proclaim Mario Lemieux wasn't one of the best in the league because his team didn't make the playoffs his first 4 years.

Reactions: Future GOAT

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Again team success is different than individual success.

This is like the crowd that would proclaim Mario Lemieux wasn't one of the best in the league because his team didn't make the playoffs his first 4 years.

I think I pretty much summed it up in my post.
All other players either won something or out scored McDavid. That’s why he’s the odd one out.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Wild guesses, but nah, he was a top 3 forward in the tournament. On top of that, Aho and Kane also choked when it mattered.

Good tries though.
Funny i read that mcdavid choked by his very own fans in the gamethread. I did not come up with this.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Funny i read that mcdavid choked by his very own fans in the gamethread. I did not come up with this.
Even if his own fans said that as you claim, it isn't relevant, since choking itself isn't relevant, due to 2 other chokers being on the AS team. He handily outplayed Rakell by a significant margin while being on a worse team.

So "choking" is clearly a flawed and incorrect reason as to why McDavid wasn't added to the AS team so is "not winning anything" since Aho is there and his team finished in even worse position than Canada.. If Rakell was swapped for McDavid, Sweden would have still been well represented on the AS team, so it wasn't like they had no Swedes up there and needed to put him there to represent the Gold winners, so that's not the reason either.

No, Rakell didn't perform as well as McDavid, but for some weird reason they seem to be rewarding his lack of comparable production with the nomination because he played on a super stacked team that happened to win the Gold. That's probably not even the real reason, but it's the closest to an actual reason that exists in the thread and that's pretty flawed because Rakell wasn't actually better than McDavid in this tournament.

Last edited:

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
If McDavid had won bronze medal he would’ve made AS and Aho would be the odd one out.

Stop crying biased Canadian fans cuz you put McDavid above everyone else.

I bet McDavid doesn’t even care he didn’t get AS nominations cuz he didn’t give a F about winning bronze medal.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
If McDavid had won bronze medal he would’ve made AS and Aho would be the odd one out.

Stop crying biased Canadian fans cuz you put McDavid above everyone else.

I bet McDavid doesn’t even care he didn’t get AS nominations cuz he didn’t give a F about winning bronze medal.
He literally was above Rakell... Why are you getting so angry? This is a discussion forum, and the pick doesn't make sense... I've already debunked all your reasons for it, we have the right to question that irresponsible decision. If you do not like it, I suggest you stay out of this conversation and keep your comments to yourself as you will only continue to get more angry as the discussion goes on.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Nice try mate.
I gave you all the correct reasons why he was left out.
And you won’t accept it “cuz that’s not how it’s done in NHL”.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
And you still stuck up about total points.
Points is not everything thing when all star.
Kane and Aho out scored McDavid.
Aho did it while on a less stacked team.
Kane did it while on less stacked team.

Just stop.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017

Just stop.
If total points isn't everything and team performance is as big a factor as you claim then McDavid actually takes Aho's place since he was only 1 point behind Aho but Canada finished in better position than Finland.

So by your very own logic, Rakell > McDavid > Aho.

Like I said, there isn't a legitimate argument to justify leaving McDavid off the AS team. Believe me I've tried all scenarios. No matter which way we try to look at it, in the end it just doesn't make sense.

When people have to use an insane amount of mental gymnastics to legitimize McDavid being left off the AS team, that means something is very wrong in both their arguments and the rationalization that was used to keep him off of it.

Reactions: snipes

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Team achievement+points > Points > place.
This is the kind of mental gymnastics I'm talking about.
angif-move-the-goalposts-def.gif

Last edited:

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
He literally was above Rakell... Why are you getting so angry? This is a discussion forum, and the pick doesn't make sense... I've already debunked all your reasons for it, we have the right to question that irresponsible decision. If you do not like it, I suggest you stay out of this conversation and keep your comments to yourself as you will only continue to get more angry as the discussion goes on.
Mcdavid was responsible for 2 goals against vs Swiss. Rakell had overall the better tournament.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Rakell: 10 points in his first 4 games, 4 in his last 6
Final: 0 points, missed shot in shootout
SF: Assist on goal to make it 4-0
QF: Assist on goal to make it 3-1
This is the official allstar team by iihf

ALL STAR TEAM:
Målvakt: Anders Nilsson, Sverige
Back: Oliver Ekman Larsson, Sverige
Back: Adam Larsson, Sverige
Forward: Rickard Rakell, Sverige
Forward: Patrick Kane, USA
Forward: Sebastian Aho, Finland

Stor svensk dominans i VM:s all star-lag

sorry man, Mcdavid wasnt on it. You lose.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.

Just stop.
1 Canadian had more than 8 points (McDavid with 17)
5 Finns had more than 8 points
6 Americans had more than 8 points

Reactions: Future GOAT

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Rakell was voted as top forward by official IIHF over mcdavid. Last time I checked, IIHF >>> Armchair hfboards homers.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
I find it odd that there where no Swiss on the All Star team. There should be a couple of Swiss players over Aho and Kane. And why McJesus? , he couldnt even get Canada to a medal, epic fail

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
who cares, This doesnt make Rakell> McDavid nor does it make Larsson> Ekblad.
Winning team deserves its players on the all-star list.

Reactions: DDRhockey

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I find it odd that there where no Swiss on the All Star team. There should be a couple of Swiss players over Aho and Kane. And why McJesus? , he couldnt even get Canada to a medal, epic fail
its a team game ... shitty statements like the bolded are the cause of all the shitstorms on these boards.
McDavid = epic fail because he didnt wasnt the MVP this tourney? Canadian goaltending was the only epic fail this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->