2018 HF Team Boards Mock Draft -- Pick #9

Pick #9

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
EXACTLY how I see the issue: To be a contender the Rangers can be fine with Kreider, Zibanejad and one of Buchnevich or Chytil. Just need to be healthy and I promise you the doubters will be surprised. The forth of this group defaults into the second line where we already have Hayes and probably Andersson (and probably Kovalchuk) but also Fast, Spooner, Names, Vesey to keep keep this one spot while the the long-term option is developing.

Not so on D. After McD gone we do not have anybody proven who’s capable of handling the spot, not to mention - at RD where high caliber options are at big premium.

If Gorton evaluation points to Dobson and Kotkaniemi being of similar ceilings/floor and probability of getting there, then Dobson should be his choice.

A legit No. 1C is a big deal.

A legit No. 1D is a big deal too.

I like a lot of the young D and the D prospects we have like Skjei, Pionk, Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, DeAngelo but even if they all become legit NHL'ers you might not really get a legit 1st pairing defenseman out of the lot of them and I don't think there's a candidate out of that group who could become a legit No. 1D. Dobson could be that guy.

Looking at the center position--both Zibanejad and Hayes are very good NHL players. Neither IMO is a legit 1c but Zibanejad finished very strongly when he started using his size more and IMO if he does that next year his numbers will be better---but he's never going to be a Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom or a Kopitar. Looking at Chytil I'm thinking we might have a player similar to Zibanejad--there's some chance he could be a legit 1C but I wouldn't bet on it. He should be another very good NHL player though. Then there's Andersson (who might become a wing) and Howden. None of these guys scream first line center to me but 3/4 of them possibly could in time slot as legit No. 2's--so though there's nothing spectacular here--there is what looks to me like excellent depth and something of a bright future at the center position for the Rangers. If we drafted him Kotkaniemi would be another candidate in the mix of trying to supplant Zibanejad as our top center but he'll have to outplay Chytil, Andersson and Howden first.

Get Tavares IMO and our whole center position sorts itself out really quickly and becomes the strongest position on the team. Just saying.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A legit No. 1C is a big deal.

A legit No. 1D is a big deal too.

I like a lot of the young D and the D prospects we have like Skjei, Pionk, Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, DeAngelo but even if they all become legit NHL'ers you might not really get a legit 1st pairing defenseman out of the lot of them and I don't think there's a candidate out of that group who could become a legit No. 1D. Dobson could be that guy.

Looking at the center position--both Zibanejad and Hayes are very good NHL players. Neither IMO is a legit 1c but Zibanejad finished very strongly when he started using his size more and IMO if he does that next year his numbers will be better---but he's never going to be a Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom or a Kopitar. Looking at Chytil I'm thinking we might have a player similar to Zibanejad--there's some chance he could be a legit 1C but I wouldn't bet on it. He should be another very good NHL player though. Then there's Andersson (who might become a wing) and Howden. None of these guys scream first line center to me but 3/4 of them possibly could in time slot as legit No. 2's--so though there's nothing spectacular here--there is what looks to me like excellent depth and something of a bright future at the center position for the Rangers. If we drafted him Kotkaniemi would be another candidate in the mix of trying to supplant Zibanejad as our top center but he'll have to outplay Chytil, Andersson and Howden first.

Get Tavares IMO and our whole center position sorts itself out really quickly and becomes the strongest position on the team. Just saying.

I’m more bullish than you (and many more other posters) on Zibanejad. Offensively he’s not Crosby or Malkin (who is?) and he’s not a 200 feet gamer as Kopitar at his best, but if he and his expected linemates stay healthy then Backstrom level is not out of the reach even if his states not going to be as pristine because we don’t have Ovi.

I’m not even entertaining Tavares as a a realistic possibility.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Dobson is too safe to pass up at 9. He is a minutes eater who does everything well.

You could sell me on Kotkaniemi over Bouchard, but I can't take him over Dobson.

I think the Rangers could try to move back into the middle of round one using their extra picks to take a chance on a guy like that, but the Rangers need to replace McDonagh too. Especially on the right size they have no one close. They don't have anyone close to Dobson either.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Dobson is too safe to pass up at 9. He is a minutes eater who does everything well.

You could sell me on Kotkaniemi over Bouchard, but I can't take him over Dobson.

I think the Rangers could try to move back into the middle of round one using their extra picks to take a chance on a guy like that, but the Rangers need to replace McDonagh too. Especially on the right size they have no one close. They don't have anyone close to Dobson either.

If Dobson is safe, shouldn't the Rangers go for a different option? Shouldn't we go boom-or-bust?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Neither have I.

Pietrangelo seems to be the most common comparison. Does everything well, but nothing phenomenally.

One of the few times that hearing the word 'steady' to describe a prospect isn't off-putting.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
No. Go boom or bust with the later picks.

exactly.

if dobson or bouchard or some how wahlstrom or bokvist is there at 9, you take the best player on your board. if you can move up for a faller, you do it. if you can grab your guy who's next BPA. get him.

after that, swing for the fences. i go euro forward the next picks. there are many guys with high end skating and skills to be had.

speed, skill, youth and value. build it that way.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Not sure about that but I'm thinking between 5 and 10.

Its tough to really judge since you can't be draft eligible and have played in the AHL. But, in a hypothetical world where a draft eligible player did play in the AHL and put up those numbers while having the size, speed, and skill that Chytil does, just seems way too tantalizing of a package to not be #3 on the big board. Again, really tough to judge though since draft elible players cant be in the AHL so there isnt really a historical precedent here.

CaptBagel

May 2, 2018
U don't need a Crosby or Stamkos to win the cup
If Chytil had someone like Zadina and Kaut or Bokk or Bushnevich as his wings his #s would scream #1C (assuming none are busts)
Unlike most fans I think we should build the team around Chytil, Anderson and Howden
Get them some great wings and a couple RDs and let them all grow together
I already like our young LDs
We could get some serious good talent at wing from this draft
Maybe we
Trade up for Zad
Maybe
Wahlstrom,Kotk or tkatchuk drop in our laps at 9
Maybe get Edmonton's 10th and draft farabee or kravtsov
Zuc can get us someone in early 20s like kaut or Bokk
Then draft some RDs later in the round
We can sign some FAs to fill out the roster for next couple years til the kids r ready
Of course I know management needs to sell seats and they'd never tank a few years in order to build a stronger, better team for the future so all my hopes of a full rebuild is just that...hopes and dreams

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Need to find a way to get another pick in the top 10. They have the assets to do so. I would like to come away with one of Zadina/Tkachuk and Dobson. That would be a successful draft.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think if I were Gorton I would do something similar to what they did last year. Snag a guy who they project to be a really solid contributor who fits the mold of the player they like. Use the later 1st rounders to take a couple of players who are a bit more long-term development and skill guys who may be slipping as teams with only a singe pick may shy away from when they try and find a player who will more likely play in the NHL (albeit perhaps not in a scoring role).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If we're at 9 Dobson would be a big get. Not sure he's going to be still around.

For me it will be interesting to see if one of the top 8 picks is for Kotkaniemi--that would push another player down.

I worry about Boqvist 'if' he's had a second concussion. But there are degrees to that and players are different. I imagine he's going to go through a lot of testing. If he's the player who falls in this draft it's pretty much because teams are concerned over that issue. Just on ability he's pretty much a top 5 pick. If he passes 7 and 8 it would make me wonder because he should be picked before that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->