2018 HF Team Boards Mock Draft -- Pick #9

Pick #9

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Every year there's a mock draft done by the team boards of HF -- here are the results of 2015, 2016, and 2017. Rules are easy: just pick the player you want your team to draft based on who is still available; "trade the pick" is not an option ;)

2018 Mock Draft
1 BUF --- D Rasmus Dahlin 117/126 (93%)
2 CAR --- F Andrei Svechnikov 69/74 (93%)
3 MTL --- F Filip Zadina 56/71 (79%)
4 OTT --- F Brady Tkachuk 38/71 (54%)
5 ARI --- F Oliver Wahlstrom 34/49 (69%)
6 DET --- D Adam Boqvist 41/93 (44%)
7 VAN --- D Quinton Hughes 34/64 (53%)
8 CHI --- D Evan Bouchard 28/39 (72%)
9 NYR ---
10 EDM ---
11 NYI ---
12 NYI* ---
13 DAL ---
14 PHI* ---
15 FLA ---
16 COL ---
17 NJD ---
18 CBJ ---
19 PHI ---
20 LAK ---
21 SJS ---
22 OTT* ---
23 ANA ---
24 MIN ---
25 TOR ---
26 NYR* ---

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey Bones

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I think this is very accurate as to what happens in the top 9.

Personally, i don't think Oliver Wahlstrom is there. I don't think he makes it past 5. Bouchard and Dobson seem very close. I do think one of them goes in the top 8. A lot of board members are going to opt for either Dobson to fill the void of RHD and stay within the perspective rankings. The rest will likely vote for Kotkamiemi for the big Centerman, with the supposed higher ceiling.

Im passing on all that. I went with Farabee. Some might call that the safer pick. When you find a cerebral player with his skating, his skill level ill argue all day that his ceiling is higher then the rest of the players ranked 10-31. He's my guy at #9.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Personally, i don't think Oliver Wahlstrom is there. I don't think he makes it past 5. Bouchard and Dobson seem very close. I do think one of them goes in the top 8. A lot of board members are going to opt for either Dobson to fill the void of RHD and stay within the perspective rankings. The rest will likely vote for Kotkamiemi for the big Centerman, with the supposed higher ceiling.

Im passing on all that. I went with Farabee. Some might call that the safer pick. When you find a cerebral player with his skating, his skill level ill argue all day that his ceiling is higher then the rest of the players ranked 10-31. He's my guy at #9.
Correct. This is why I am okay with trading a second to move up. Still have 3 1st rounders and 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

I knew nothing about Kotkaniemi. People seem to like him and he is rising in the rankings. I went with Dobson but either wouldn't be a bad pick.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Correct. This is why I am okay with trading a second to move up. Still have 3 1st rounders and 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

I knew nothing about Kotkaniemi. People seem to like him and he is rising in the rankings. I went with Dobson but either wouldn't be a bad pick.
Kokonutty is a big-bodied two-way center who can rifle the puck.

Jeff Carter reincarnated if he pans out.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Went Farabee. Kotkaniemi is my other option. Surprised that people went with Dobson, just in the sense that there will be a few other RHD that are available around our late 1sts.

Farabee plays how we want our team to play in the future. Let him develop at the NCAA level for a year, maybe 2, and bring him in. 60pt 2 way winger in the future. I see some TJ Oshie in him, from what I've seen.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I'm sensing a lot depends on Kotkaniemi and Dobson - both guys could very well go a little higher than some expect.

Dobson's name is starting to get linked with Vancouver a bit more and I think Kotkaniemi is higher on more lists than people realize.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Pretty close to what I expect to happen. Don't see a way Boqvist or Wahlstrom slip to 9.

Kotkaniemi could go higher and push Hughes/Bouchard down IMO. I went with Kotka, upside is too high. Shifting Chytil or Lias to W, or hopefully having elite 1-3 C depth is not a bad thing at all.

Dobson, then Farabee would be my next selections.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Kotkaniemi (who I went with), Dobson and Farabee seem like the guys someone ahead of us could take a chance on. Maybe Smith and maybe Kravtsov, I'm sure everyone's FO is going over the tape from the playoffs when he started scoring.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I would go Dobson, RHD who has a possible top pair ceiling.

That is one of the toughest things to find in the NHL if it comes to fruition.

Reactions: eco's bones

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Dobson or Kotkaniemi. I am sure the Rangers are scouting the heck out of both of them. If you feel both are close in BPA then Its hard to pass up the need of a RHD with top pairing potential. Like some said it could be possible to find a decent RHD in the 25-31 range.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
We already voted as much as the CHI board and still day and half left.

good job

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->