• F Wahlstrom Oliver

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I hesitated a bit only because everything I read about Tkachuk makes him seem like the type of guy we need - wired to compete from start to finish, able to create offense under difficult conditions, a little bit of grit to his game...but at the end of the day you can't deny the type of talent Svechnikov has. So, Добро пожаловать в Северную Каролину, Андрей Игоревич

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I hesitated a bit only because everything I read about Tkachuk makes him seem like the type of guy we need - wired to compete from start to finish, able to create offense under difficult conditions, a little bit of grit to his game...but at the end of the day you can't deny the type of talent Svechnikov has. So, Добро пожаловать в Северную Каролину, Андрей Игоревич
Andrei Igorevich?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm curious what number Svechnikov will wear. 14 is taken. Does he go 13? I'd certainly be okay with him wearing it. Don't think you should give Whitney's number to any random scrub, but seems like he'd be able to live up to it. Maybe 41? Has anyone ever worn that for us?

#41 is currently assigned to prospect Max Zimmer (drafted 104th overall in the 4th round of the 2016 draft). Aside from him it's been worn by Danny Biega, Andrew Alberts, Nolan Pratt, Allen Pedersen, Joe Day, and Jim Culhane.

I noticed his brothers middle name is the same :laugh:

It's Russian patronym. Igor's son.

Would be Ivarsson in Swedish.

Ahh ok, wasn’t aware the Russians did that.

Yup, as @Lempo indicates, Russian uses patronymics for middle names. If he has a sister, she'd be Igorovna.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Correct me if I'm wrong but Andrei Igorovich is the formal way to refer to someone equivalent in English to Mr. Svechnikov? Hope Tracy refers to him as that in interviews. Bet he's been dying to show off his knowledge of Russian for a while.
I believe that would be correct

source: I read Tom Clancy books.

damnit I told you stop trying this long-con with me Putin.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong but Andrei Igorovich is the formal way to refer to someone equivalent in English to Mr. Svechnikov? Hope Tracy refers to him as that in interviews. Bet he's been dying to show off his knowledge of Russian for a while.

I absolutely do not know, but there's probably certain nuances to it. I've for example seen some critical Russians in open letters occasionally address Putin as Vladimir Vladimirovich. Maybe it implies certain assumed familiarity, or somesuch.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I absolutely do not know, but there's probably certain nuances to it. I've for example seen some critical Russians in open letters occasionally address Putin as Vladimir Vladimirovich. Maybe it implies certain assumed familiarity, or somesuch.

It's generally considered polite, from what I can remember from my semester of Russian in undergrad (my accent and reading? Good. My writing? Awful. Stupid spelling rules). I think it's far more likely that Tripp would address Svechnikov by his diminutive given how informal Tripp is with players (and didn't he address Semin as "Sasha" pretty regularly?) Thus, get ready for Tripp to make life hell for Andryusha.

(NB for those not familiar with Russian naming conventions: Oftentimes, Russian names will have diminutive forms - essentially nicknames. Just as "John" becomes "Jack," "William" becomes "Bill," or "Peter" becomes "Pete" in English, "Alexander" becomes "Sasha," "Mikhail" become "Misha," "Ivan" becomes "Vanya," and "Andrei" becomes "Andryusha," "Andreika," or "Dyusha.")

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->