• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I've read a lot of good things about Sanding and a decent amount of question marks about Wilde and Miller.

For my mostly uninformed decision, I pick: Sandin.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Let's also note that Sandin plays on a stacked team.

I see Sandin as a younger Andy Greene .

Maybe we shoot for higher ceiling at 17?

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Let's also note that Sandin plays on a stacked team.

I see Sandin as a younger Andy Greene .

Maybe we shoot for higher ceiling at 17?

I mean, at one point, Andy Greene was a legit top pairing guy.

If that's what we get out of a #17 pick...I'll be ecstatic.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Went with Bode Wilde. @StevenToddIves has definitely sold me on K'Andre Miller so it's certainly a toss up between those two and I would be happy with either one. If we can develop either of them the right way, it sounds like we could have ourselves that bonafide stud on the backend we've been longing for.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Relevant snapshots from Pronman's rankings today without taking all of his content:

8. Bokk
16. Wilde
21. Ty Smith
34. Sandin
36. Miller

Yeah, I keep seeing Ty Smith rated pretty low in a few rankings. Hopefully some other teams agree with that. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he managed to drop to us.

Reactions: nugg

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If we hadn't picked all of those tiny Swedes in recent drafts I'd think Berggren would be a Castron target.

He will be a NHL sniper

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Same here. Steven has had some high praise for K'Andre Miller though which makes me kind of interested in him too.

Also smiling at DD for patting himself on the back yet again :D
Miller doesn't have the offensive upside others have. We've been burnt by toolsy prospects with little offensive production too much in the past. (Zacha, McLeod, Santini, etc).

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Miller doesn't have the offensive upside others have. We've been burnt by toolsy prospects with little offensive production too much in the past. (Zacha, McLeod, Santini, etc).
I honestly don't know much about Miller at all aside from what I've read about him on our board.

You're right about the toolsy prospects though. I still have a lot of hope for them, despite my massive amount of disappointment so far.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sandin gets the vote because he’s the most reliable combination in terms of defensive responsibility along with solid offensive skill. And he still has plenty of upside. He also has some of the best 5v5 numbers of any of the defenseman who will be available at 17. From Cordell: “Sandin was a more efficient 5v5 producer at the OHL level than the likes of Vince Dunn, Travis Dermott, Dougie Hamilton, Aaron Ekblad, Olli Maatta, Mikhail Sergachev and Jakob Chychrun in their draft years so clearly he is competent offensively.”

I like Cordell a lot, but I disagree with his heavy reliance on metrics sometimes. I am of the belief that you have to factor that in as just a part of a much larger picture when evaluating prospects. I watched a lot of Sault Set. Marie this year -- it was difficult not to -- they were 55-7 and a juggernaut. They dominated night in and night out. And Sandin was a part of that success for certain, but I can throw out another stat that he was only third out of their top 6 D in PPG.

Another LD in the CHL I could compare using these stats is Alex Alexeyev. His PPG was virtually similar to Sandin despite playing on a 27-32, rebuilding Red Deer Rebels team. Though hurt much of the year, when he played he was clearly the top D on the team. Of course his 5x5 efficiency was hampered by the fact that he played on a mediocre team which did not possess the puck a fraction of the time that Sault Set. Marie did. Meanwhile, he's also a LD, he's faster, he's bigger, he's more physical, and he's as good both offensively and defensively as Sandin. His outlet passing is just outstanding. Watching these two players I would be forced to ask, what on earth would make anyone feel that Sandin has superior potential to Alexeyev?

Or how about LD Jared McIsaac? He also played on a very good team in Halifax (43-18) and was far and away the best D on the team (Devils prospect Jocktan Chainey was second). McIsaac put up a slightly lower PPG than Sandin but is superior defensively and seen by many scouts as a future shut-down guy in the NHL. He is also faster, bigger, more physical and closer to the NHL. Again the question: why would someone prefer to draft Sandin over McIsaac?

I'm not trying to put down Sandin. I would certainly consider him if the Devils had a pick in the late first/early second. But he's not even in the top 5 of the D on this list, and if the only argument that he is centers around 5x5 efficiency on a 55-7 team, I don't think that's good enough.

Reactions: nugg and Darkauron

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Miller had the best PPG of any D on the US-NTDP... including Wilde. But if you're looking at scoring numbers at higher competition as your barometer, Merkley should have to factor into your argument, as should Alexeyev, who potted 37 points in 45 games while struggling with injuries on a mediocre team.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'd also like to add that I respect the people who voted for Merkley and Kupari. I think it's gutsy to want to swing for the fences, and both of these players have absolute superstar upside despite their red flags. I don't know if I would have that kind of gumption at the draft table, but they would certainly be exciting picks at #17.

Reactions: nugg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Merkley - love his upside.

Someone asked me what the difference in offensive upside between Merkley, Hughes and Boqvist was. I said it was probably too close to tell. Boqvist has the best shot, Hughes has the best skating, Merkley the best puck handling. All three have elite vision.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I've read a lot of good things about Sanding and a decent amount of question marks about Wilde and Miller.

For my mostly uninformed decision, I pick: Sandin.

That's comparing Sandin to the two USHL defensemen on this list. It's also important to note that he does not compare favorably to other CHL defensemen, most notably Jared McIsaac/Ryan Merkley but also Alex Alexeyev.

Reactions: Devils Dominion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad