2018 Hall of Fame Ballot released (Vlad, Chipper, Thome & Hoffman are in)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Does DH-ing make hitters better?

Edgar's stats took a big jump the year ('95) he essentially became a full-time DH

I have a tough time saying Edgar should be in, when someone like Delgado fell off the ballot after just 1 year of eligibility

Perhaps Delgado's original anthem protest with the Mets cost him some votes, who knows?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Edgar's stats took a big jump the year ('95) he essentially became a full-time DH

I have a tough time saying Edgar should be in, when someone like Delgado fell off the ballot after just 1 year of eligibility

Perhaps Delgado's original anthem protest with the Mets cost him some votes, who knows?

If the induct Ortiz (who took steroids) instead of Edgar, that would be a criminal offence.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

yeah in all honesty, i wouldn't like seeing martinez get in while guys like delgado and walker don't

and delgado didn't protest the anthem. he sat in the dugout for a few games during the singing of god bless america and most people never even knew about it

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
2003, the year he coincidentally went from average player to offensive juggernaut

That's the same test that had a bunch of false positives on it and the validity of the test is totally in quesiton. The same test where we have no idea what banned substances were tested positive for on it so it might not have even been PED's but instead like an allergy medicine or something? That's the failed test you're talking about?

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
ortiz tested positive for something. the only problem is that nobody knows what it was since they never specified in the mitchell report nor on any of the tests. a lot of legal supplements triggered positive tests back then.

ortiz never failed a test again and estimated at one point that he'd been tested over 80 times in 11 years.

i think some people need to let things go.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

I find it hilarious all 15 voted for Clemens but 2 of them decided there was a reason to not include Bonds.

Vizquel getting three more votes than Walker is unspeakable levels of absurd.

There's no argument for Edgar over Walker

Didn't you know? If you played for the Colorado Rockies you are expressly forboden from making the Hall of Fame. Writers who violate this principle do not pass go, do not collect $200.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hopefully Tulo or Arenado make it one day

Tulo is gonna have to have a hell of a resurgence to make the HOF. Ages 22-29 he was certainly well ahead of the curve but he's been like replacement level the last two years with his injuries (even more so than usual) and when he's been on the field he hasn't been close to his peak. Not impossible to turn it around but he's not close to a lock by any means.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tulo is gonna have to have a hell of a resurgence to make the HOF. Ages 22-29 he was certainly well ahead of the curve but he's been like replacement level the last two years with his injuries (even more so than usual) and when he's been on the field he hasn't been close to his peak. Not impossible to turn it around but he's not close to a lock by any means.

I don't think he'll make it either, so at this point its going to be 20 something years before a Rockie (Arenado) is in the hall. If Walker doesn't make it in.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't think he'll make it either, so at this point its going to be 20 something years before a Rockie (Arenado) is in the hall. If Walker doesn't make it in.

Helton has a case but he doesn't have any milestone numbers and I'm sure they will hold Coors field against him as well.

Reactions: Voight

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anyone who votes for Hoffman should have their privileges revoked, and then be beaten with a bat for being so utterly clueless.

Would be the worst induction of the past 50 years. At least Bruce Sutter popularized a new pitch that changed the sport.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Anyone who votes for Hoffman should have their privileges revoked, and then be beaten with a bat for being so utterly clueless.

Would be the worst induction of the past 50 years. At least Bruce Sutter popularized a new pitch that changed the sport.

I think if you're going to induct relievers, Hoffman has as good a case as anyone not named Rivera

He has a pair of 2nd place finishes for the Cy Young, and he's the NL's all-time leader in saves (2nd all-time to only Rivera)

What more do you want a closer to do?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think if you're going to induct relievers, Hoffman has as good a case as anyone not named Rivera

He has a pair of 2nd place finishes for the Cy Young, and he's the NL's all-time leader in saves (2nd all-time to only Rivera)

Be a better pitcher? Would you let Dan Quisnberry in? Because they're basically the same pitcher. Quisnberry was maybe better actually

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

No reliever not named Rivera has a case. Or even close.

Hoffman has 28 career WAR. He had a worse career and contributed less to his teams than AJ Burnett.

It's like if the NHL invented a stat for goalies called Spot Start Wins where the goalie won a game without playing the one before or after, and then inducted a backup like Bunny Laracque into the HHOF because he was the all-time leader in SSWs. It's absurd.

What do I want him to do? Throw 3000 innings. Or maybe do something in the postseason. Not be essentially a backup player who is horribly overrated because of a made-up stat.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i want him to be better. otherwise, we're opening the door for a lot of relief pitchers while barricading the door for dh's.

and those two cy top twos are a joke. he finished ahead of kevin brown in 98 by throwing 73 innings. brown threw 257 innings of 164 era+ and finished third. maddux threw 251 innings of 187 era+ and finished fourth.

in 06 he finished second and wasn't even the best relief pitcher in his own division or the national league. saito beat him in every category but saves and got a single vote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad