2018 Hall of Fame Ballot released (Vlad, Chipper, Thome & Hoffman are in)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Manny Ramirez - I don't care about steroids, but voters do and he has a positive test. He's never getting in probably, on a less stacked ballot I'd vote for him though.

I don't know. He was a star for Boston in the 2000s during their modern "Golden Era" and I could see voters deciding it "forget" his steroid past. Likewise, I expect A-Rod to get in on the first ballot despite confirmed steroid use.

gary sheffield numbers are pretty good, why he's not in?

If we tried to figure out why certain players who probably deserve it don't get in while others' who probably don't, do, we will literally go crazy and they'll need to institutionalize us all. The motivations behind BBWA hall of fame voters is beyond mortals comprehension.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Sadly, Larry Walker will continue to be overlooked despite checking off all the boxes on a Hall of Fame career. The fact he is only getting 21% of the vote in his 9th year of eligibility is a downright travesty. 5-tool player, MVP and no rumours of steroid use. Career 70 WAR and played well in pitchers stadiums in St Louis and Montreal...not just a product of Colorado. He will eventually be voted in by the veterans' committee although it should not have to come to that.

The 4 I think that will be voted in are Jones, Hoffman, Guerrero and Thome. Martinez will continue to trend up to 65-70% on the voters list and make it in next year.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Excluding the PED cheaters, the best are: Chipper, Mussina, Schilling, Rose, Whitaker

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Just gonna go by what they did on the field, who should be in and who shouldn't, in my opinion.

In
Edgar Martínez, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Mike Mussina, Curt Schilling, Manny Ramírez, Larry Walker, Chipper Jones, Scott Rolen, Jim Thome

Out

Trevor Hoffman, Billy Wagner, Chris Carpenter, Johnny Damon, Livan Hernandez, Orlando Hudson, Aubrey Huff, Jason Isringhausen, Carlos Lee, Brad Lidge, Hideki Matsui, Kevin Millwood, Jamie Moyer, Omar Vizquel, Kerry Wood, Carlos Zambrano

Borderline
Gary Sheffield, Sammy Sosa, Jeff Kent, Vlad Guerrero, Andruw Jones, Fred McGriff, Johan Santana

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Excluding the PED cheaters, the best are: Chipper, Mussina, Schilling, Rose, Whitaker

Again, Clemens & Bonds never took steroids. People just accused them of doing so, like they did Mike Piazza.

Rose took amphetamines so don't act like he wasn't a cheater.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
pete rose not being a cheater is probably the funniest thing that's been written on this website. i'm saying that as someone who still reads the trade rumor page.

stick to lists, hawkman.

Reactions: Voight

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
we're dealing with a guy who said this

People are accountable for their actions. Hitler, Charles Manson, Jesus, and Mother Teresa should not all be treated the same way. Cheaters are responsible for their actions and should not get in the Hall. When the twentysomething children are running the world, maybe they will. Right now, no soup for you!

Signed,
the adults who run the world​

while he had a willie mays avatar.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The 10 I would vote for

1. Barry Bonds
2. Roger Clemens
3. Curt Schilling
4. Mike Mussina
5. Trevor Hoffman
6. Vladimir Guerrero
7. Edgar Ramirez
8. Chipper Jones
9. Jim Thome
10. Jeff Kent

I personally wouldn't vote for Vizquel but I can see him getting in eventually on the 3rd-4th ballot

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The 10 I would vote for

1. Barry Bonds
2. Roger Clemens
3. Curt Schilling
4. Mike Mussina
5. Trevor Hoffman
6. Vladimir Guerrero
7. Edgar Ramirez
8. Chipper Jones
9. Jim Thome
10. Jeff Kent

I personally wouldn't vote for Vizquel but I can see him getting in eventually on the 3rd-4th ballot

I don't think he'll get in

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Sadly, Larry Walker will continue to be overlooked despite checking off all the boxes on a Hall of Fame career. The fact he is only getting 21% of the vote in his 9th year of eligibility is a downright travesty. 5-tool player, MVP and no rumours of steroid use. Career 70 WAR and played well in pitchers stadiums in St Louis and Montreal...not just a product of Colorado. He will eventually be voted in by the veterans' committee although it should not have to come to that.

The 4 I think that will be voted in are Jones, Hoffman, Guerrero and Thome. Martinez will continue to trend up to 65-70% on the voters list and make it in next year.

Just over 30% of Larry Walker's plate appearances came at Coors Field. But yeah, let's say that he was only a product of Coors Field, media.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
4 would be a big class, I'm wondering if maybe Thome gets in at Vlad's expense. Hoffman and Chipper are already guaranteed.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think he'll get in

Edgar really should get in, given he's arguably the best DH of all time.

4 would be a big class, I'm wondering if maybe Thome gets in at Vlad's expense. Hoffman and Chipper are already guaranteed.

Vlad was very close to making it last year tho, just a question if they shove him aside for Thome. or induct both.

I wonder if Vlad goes in as an Angel or Expo? He spent one extra season w/ the Expos but LA is where he won his MVP. Kinda sucks the hall chooses for you.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Vlad was very close to making it last year tho, just a question if they shove him aside for Thome. or induct both.

I wonder if Vlad goes in as an Angel or Expo? He spent one extra season w/ the Expos but LA is where he won his MVP. Kinda sucks the hall chooses for you.

I think you have to put him in as an Expo despite the MVP in Anaheim. He was a better player in Montreal and for longer and even his MVP year in ANA wasn't as good as a few seasons he had in Montreal.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
vlad should definitely go in as an expo

and i think vlad gets in over thome this year, with thome getting in in 2019 with rivera and martinez. 2019 is a pretty weak class. halladay, helton, and pettite are the main headliners. halladay probably gets in down the road, although i don't see how he gets in and mussina doesn't. or even santana

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
vlad should definitely go in as an expo

and i think vlad gets in over thome this year, with thome getting in in 2019 with rivera and martinez. 2019 is a pretty weak class. halladay, helton, and pettite are the main headliners. halladay probably gets in down the road, although i don't see how he gets in and mussina doesn't. or even santana

Halladay is a first ballot candidate IMO and his death will likely ensure that he goes in ASAP.

In terms of him vs Mussina, he has actual hardware which is what voters like. And vs Santana, he played longer and has the perfect game + post season no hitter.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i get the argument for walker being in the HOF and i think he should be given far more consideration than he's gotten

but then shouldn't carlos delgado have been given more consideration too?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
i get the argument for walker being in the HOF and i think he should be given far more consideration than he's gotten

but then shouldn't carlos delgado have been given more consideration too?

He should have gotten more consideration in that being a 'one and done' isn't indicative of how good his career was but Delgado isn't an HOFer. He was a great hitter but he was a bad fielder and base runner which really hurt his value. Carlos could mash, no question about it, but Larry Walker was an all-round great player.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, Guerrero shouldn't be in before Martinez.

Vlad was a glorified DH. Being a walking disaster in right field for 10 years doesn't make you better than an actual DH. You don't get points for trying.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I think he was poking fun at calling him "Edgar Ramirez" rather than anything about his credentials.

Anyway, dearly hope Edgar gets in this time. He obviously meant a whole lot to baseball in Seattle, especially sticking around through those lean years. Its pure partisanship but I would be overjoyed for the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad