OT: 2018 Football Thread: Camp is (almost) here!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I liked Mayfield a lot and I would have been happy to take him at 6. However I'm almost certain that the Jets didn't trade up to 3 to take Mayfield.
I'm very hiestant with Baker. Living in Tulsa I've seen almost every OU game at home in the last 5+ years. (My wife is a OU fan) he's a great leader but I think his skill sets are overrated.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm very hiestant with Baker. Living in Tulsa I've seen almost every OU game at home in the last 5+ years. (My wife is a OU fan) he's a great leader but I think his skill sets are overrated.
As a Browns fan, after having lived through the Manziel debacle, I am super wary of QBs with "rebel" personalities. I realize each individual is different, and Manziel suffered from multiple health problems (bi-polar, addiction), but after 25 years of either no football or terrible football, I'm desperately hoping they're looking for a safe, steady type to be their QB of the future (not to mention one taller than 6'0" who doesn't have the world's greatest arm). Hopefully the Giants and Jets are too. Let Mayfield fall to Denver/Buffalo, and if he succeeds, great – good for them.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I like this trade for the Jets.

@Hunter Gathers and I were discussing the Giants pick in the old thread, and based on the draft value chart i proposed something similar to the Jets trade, and he said I wouldn’t take a trade without another 1st (next years) and I agreed. Top 3 and we want 2 first rounders.

That the Jets got the 3 without an additional first rounder I think is great. Now, they’re the Jets. They could screw it up. Who knows. But you gotta take the shot.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I like this trade for the Jets.

@Hunter Gathers and I were discussing the Giants pick in the old thread, and based on the draft value chart i proposed something similar to the Jets trade, and he said I wouldn’t take a trade without another 1st (next years) and I agreed. Top 3 and we want 2 first rounders.

That the Jets got the 3 without an additional first rounder I think is great. Now, they’re the Jets. They could screw it up. Who knows. But you gotta take the shot.
I have to think that the Jets did contact Gettleman and Gettleman expressed no interest in moving down unless being blown away. Frankly, I think that the Jets trading to 3 means that the Giants are taking a QB. Otherwise, the Jets would've moved to 2.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Blame the whining Eli fanboys who forced Mara to have the coaching staff play him the rest of the way. Mara was so spineless.
Is the Nelson talk more of Bucky Brook’s stupidity? There’s no way the Giants actually take him at 2, right?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
BPA
BPA
BPA
BPA

Giants have huge holes no question. But one of those huge holes is at running back. The best player in the draft is a running back. Take him.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I can't imagine any scenario in which we take him at #2 unless Gettleman has a stroke and accidentally says the wrong guy.
Ok, good. Anything less than Allen or Rosen is an abject failure by you guys. I see Darnold being mediocre and that’s just my bias against USC qbs.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You take the franchise QB. The conversation ends there.

Yep.

With that said, I would not throw my TV through a wall if we took Barkley. The problem is this, though.

Does anyone see the Giants giving a RB $10M per year with his 6th-10th years? Barkley is not a long term solution to the team. He should be looked at as a half-decade solution since we all know the shelf life of RBs.

Reactions: jas

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ok, good. Anything less than Allen or Rosen is an abject failure by you guys. I see Darnold being mediocre and that’s just my bias against USC qbs.

I hate USC QBs, but Darnold is my top guy. The skillset he brings is so tantalizing.

I would be fine with any of Darnold, Rosen, Allen, or Mayfield. Why? Because I trust that our team is going to do the proper due diligence on all four of them and that whoever they took they feel will be that franchise guy.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yep.

With that said, I would not throw my TV through a wall if we took Barkley. The problem is this, though.

Does anyone see the Giants giving a RB $10M per year with his 6th-10th years? Barkley is not a long term solution to the team. He should be looked at as a half-decade solution since we all know the shelf life of RBs.

RBs don't have a long shelf life in this league. I'd take a pass-rushing DE, franchise LT or shutdown CB before I take a RB, no matter how good he is.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
RBs don't have a long shelf life in this league. I'd take a pass-rushing DE, franchise LT or shutdown CB before I take a RB, no matter how good he is.

Yep.

And at 2? Chubb is a great DE, but f*** no at 2 with multiple franchise QBs available for a trade down. And LOLf***NO to Nelson (as much as I love the guy).

We cannot f*** this up. You either take the f***ing QB or you trade the pick.

Reactions: klingsor

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I hate USC QBs, but Darnold is my top guy. The skillset he brings is so tantalizing.

I would be fine with any of Darnold, Rosen, Allen, or Mayfield. Why? Because I trust that our team is going to do the proper due diligence on all four of them and that whoever they took they feel will be that franchise guy.
Yup. (That's also how I feel about the Rangers in the upcoming draft.)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Also, I feel that Chubb is a complete vanity pick for us. JPP, while declining, is still very serviceable. I love OV. I see zero reason to spend a top 2 pick in THIS draft on a DE.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

We’ll just agree to disagree on Darnold because I’m a Rosen guy. Whichever kid you take will already be put in a good situation with OBJ, Shep, and Engram + Solder protecting their blind side over Flowers

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Barkley is more than a RB. He will be a menace on the field. Run. Block. Line him up wide.
Still think Mayfield is the best QB of the bunch

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Seems pretty simple to me.

If the Browns take the QB the Giants love at 1OA, take Barkley. If the Browns take Barkley at 1OA, take the QB you love. If the Browns take a QB the Giants don't love, take the QB you love.

Don't "reach" for a QB you don't love though if the Browns take the guy you do love. Just take Barkley then.

And for the love of all that is holy do not take Nelson.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Seems pretty simple to me.

If the Browns take the QB the Giants love at 1OA, take Barkley. If the Browns take Barkley at 1OA, take the QB you love. If the Browns take a QB the Giants don't love, take the QB you love.

Don't "reach" for a QB you don't love though if the Browns take the guy you do love. Just take Barkley then.

And for the love of all that is holy do not take Nelson.

It's more likely that the Giants like two or three QBs. With this crop, I'd be surprised if they don't love more than one.

If we had a young QB that was the future in place, Barkley would be the perfect pick. But because of Manning's whining fanboys and their meltdowns, we now have no clue if Webb is even servicable at the NFL level. The ideal situation would be knowing Webb was that guy and being able to take Barkley without any hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad