World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What do we mean by sleeper? Underdog expected to make it out of the group? If so then I can get down with the Swiss or English, but they're not going to win the whole thing. It'll be an absolute shock if one of the 4 contenders (Germany, Spain, Brazil & France) don't win, with Belgium, Colombia, Uruguay & Messi making up the next tier who could win, but are more likely to max out as a losing finalist.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah, sleeper picks don't do very well in World Cups as far as the finals are concerned. The biggest 'underdog' I ever remembering making the Final was probably Holland in 2010 and even that is a 'powerhouse' nation so to speak. It's generally any combination of Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Holland, Spain, France and Italy. And by generally I mean that literally no other nation has been in a World Cup final since 1966. It would be a mega upset if it happened this time.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What do we mean by sleeper? Underdog expected to make it out of the group? If so then I can get down with the Swiss or English, but they're not going to win the whole thing. It'll be an absolute shock if one of the 4 contenders (Germany, Spain, Brazil & France) don't win, with Belgium, Colombia, Uruguay & Messi making up the next tier who could win, but are more likely to max out as a losing finalist.

I picked my sleeper on basically on who I think the biggest surprise will be. Mainly because there’s no way a small team wins the WC imo.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
France.

I would love for it to be Germany, but they're most likely making the semis again.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think any of the top teams will 'flop' though, they rarely do. When they're eliminated earlier than expected, it's usually because they ran into one of the other top teams.

Portugal isn't going to get out of the group, if that counts.

You seem very sure. Is Morocco full of Bundesliga players?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think any of the top teams will 'flop' though, they rarely do. When they're eliminated earlier than expected, it's usually because they ran into one of the other top teams.

Meh I feel like there’s always at least one team who disappoints or something of the sort.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Meh I feel like there’s always at least one team who disappoints or something of the sort.

But the top teams? Spain did last time, they also had a difficult group. Can't recall any 'flops' in 2006. 2002 had quite a few but that whole World Cup was an anomaly.

Anyway, even if there are, I think all the top contenders should make the quarter-finals at least.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Uruguay/Colombia as sleepers (if you can call them that, both are top 10 NTs) but their path to the quarters is reasonable if they win their group and from there...who knows.

I do think the media/casual fans are overrating Egypt a tad heading into this tournament, yes Salah is in incredible form but he's really their only attacking threat and they normally play very defensive too, don't see that changing anytime soon with Cuper in charge

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

If Argentina makes it past Spain/Germany they WILL win the WC. Pretty big if but those 2 teams are the best of the bunch once you get past them...

Reactions: cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
But the top teams? Spain did last time, they also had a difficult group. Can't recall any 'flops' in 2006. 2002 had quite a few but that whole World Cup was an anomaly.

Anyway, even if there are, I think all the top contenders should make the quarter-finals at least.

I mean 2002 and 06 both help prove that theirs usually at least one team that disappoints. 2010, France didn’t make it out of the group stage. 2014 Italy, England, Portugal, Spain and Ivory Coast missed the group stage. I mean Ivory Coast isn’t a huge soccer nation but they lost out to Greece which could be considered a bit of a flop. I mean big countries flop every year.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
In 2002, the strongest teams were done by the end of the group stage. Including Holland who didn’t qualify for the tournament.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I mean 2002 and 06 both help prove that theirs usually at least one team that disappoints. 2010, France didn’t make it out of the group stage. 2014 Italy, England, Portugal, Spain and Ivory Coast missed the group stage. I mean Ivory Coast isn’t a huge soccer nation but they lost out to Greece which could be considered a bit of a flop. I mean big countries flop every year.

They do, I was talking specifically about the top contenders though. Other than Spain I don't think any of those would be defined as such in those respective tournaments. But our definition of contender and flop may vary.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

You seem very sure. Is Morocco full of Bundesliga players?

lol nah, it’s just my big hot take for this tourney. I think Spain wins the opener convincingly which puts them behind the 8 ball and I think both Iran & Morocco are really under-rated. Iran just rolled through Asia and their golden generation is starting to enter their mid 20s.

While Morocco has a lot of interesting dual nationals to build their midfield & attack around with Ziyech, Harit, Belhanda, Boufal, Boussoufa, Amrabat, Bennasser, Mazraoui, etc. I love Ziyech & Harit in particular but they have a lot of other creatives who are very streaky and can be very dangerous when hot. Coming off a win at the African Nations' Championship, and success in a tough qualifying group, they’re in strong form as well.

I’m actually optimistic that with this new generation we’ll see Portugal play much better football and make some noise as more than a bunkering side, but if I had to pick a talented team to shit the bed it would be them. That combo of likely loss in the opener, with two tough teams still to face, just gives me 2014 vibes from them.

México & England would be my other tips, but I don’t think people would be too shocked to see México lose out to the Swedes...especially since our pattern at WMs is to win the opener bigly, before drawing the second match against a physical team who are bigger than us, plays against Mexico & for Sweden...as it would leave the Swedes needing just a draw in that 3rd match day meeting with Mexico if it repeats at this tourney. And England shitting the bed, even in that group, wouldn’t actually be a shock to anyone, would it?

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They do, I was talking specifically about the top contenders though. Other than Spain I don't think any of those would be defined as such in those respective tournaments. But our definition of contender and flop may vary.

I mean I’d say France and Spain are contenders almost every year. I mean if one of the top 4/5 teams doesn’t make it out of the group stage I’d say that’s a flop. Even though Portugal has never been a favorite to win a WC, they should easily make it out of most WC group stages.

Mar 1, 2002
I am flying over to London next month to see Pearl Jam and was excited to be able see some of the World Cup at pubs there and catch an England game.

And they play the same time and day as the first show. :/

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Uruguay/Colombia as sleepers (if you can call them that, both are top 10 NTs) but their path to the quarters is reasonable if they win their group and from there...who knows.

I do think the media/casual fans are overrating Egypt a tad heading into this tournament, yes Salah is in incredible form but he's really their only attacking threat and they normally play very defensive too, don't see that changing anytime soon with Cuper in charge

Agreed. With Hamez’s form, a healthy Falcao, that very talented young CB partnership, and Pekerman guiding the rest of that team I’ve got Colombia topping their group and at least matching their QF showing at the last WM.

And I’ve gushed about the Uruguayan young generation repeatedly. With them successfully integrating as many of those exciting youngsters as they have, behind Suárez & Cavani, I can see them making real noise as well...maybe even knocking off a top favorite or two in the knockouts.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Argentina makes it past Spain/Germany they WILL win the WC. Pretty big if but those 2 teams are the best of the bunch once you get past them...

I can see that...if they make it past them. I think there’s a very real chance that Messi does what everyone who conveniently forgets about Burruchaga, Ruggeri & co. claims Maradona did in 86. Which is why I think Argentina has the best chance to win it all outside of the big 4, but I can also see them crash out early if he doesn’t just take over match after match for them...or if the training camp isn’t enough for Sampaoli to get them to play his way around Leo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->