World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup Draw (10am ET on 12/1/17, FS1, TSN, etc.)

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Move on from the subject :facepalm:

You blather on with nothing but "...because I said so" and question whether someone saw what they're discussing, and then tell them to "move on". Doesn't matter whether you mean the subject or the forum, you display an arrogance and disrespect that I won't be quiet about either way.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Uh, they aren't?

Pretty much the same teams always winning.
And in the finals its always the same 6-7 teams.

Finals Since 1982 contains the same 7 teams, remove Spain and Hollands 1 appearance each and its only 5 teams since 1982.

Winners in bold

1982 :Italy - Germany
1986: Argentina - Germany
1990 :Germany - Argentina
1994: Brazil - Italy
1998: France - Brazil
2002: Brazil - Germany
2006: Italy - France
2010: Spain - Netherlands
2014: Germany - Argentina

Pretty consistent... If you ask me.

Yeah, the top 4 may have 1 or 2 suprises every now and again, but nothing that amounts to anything.
Hence me saying what I did - could be more correct and say top 2. But felt top 4 was accurate since they never get further than that.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The problem is that evilo is very knowledgeable about French youth talents, so that pomposity is rooted in actual knowledge...it’s just warped by his homerism ;-)

That’s why he gets irritated when I talk about France pulling off an upset against Germany at the euros or how Germany really shouldn’t have screwed up that match even with all of the injuries & suspensions of only Jogi hadn’t screwed up the team selection so embarrassingly.

My arrogance is similarly rooted in my connections to German youth football and the fact that if Jogi were good at his job we would be heading to Russia with the goal of tying the Spanish record for consecutive titles.

Well, that means you dont consider that other posters have any knowledge.
Take our Swiss-Denmark discussion - Pretty arrogant to say the least imo. (Dont want to reopen that discussion, just evidence)

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There are a lot of self righteous people on this board, and message boards in general, just get used to it. A lot of people aren't here necessarily for the discussion as much as trying to expand their ego and put down others -- they need the boost for whatever reason and the best way to 'beat' it is to just ignore it. Let them make fools of themselves doing and saying things they'd never get away with in reality.
Yeah, I get why people are favoring Brazil over Spain as the 3rd favorite team, though that is very debatable and Spain 2018 really is still a mystery in many ways; but Germany & France are on another level right now. Obviously upsets happen, as do unpredictable injuries & suspensions. But calling something like that this far in advance seems odd to me...
I guess we can agree to disagree.

No team at the WC matches Brazil's firepower up front right now and with Coutinho moving into midfield and the form of some of their other players they are dangerous from everywhere. Obviously the World Cup is impossible to say who is going to show up, which teams are going to want it more and which coaches can motivate the most but on paper Brazil is as good or better than any other team in the tournament. If they did something like this I am comfortable taking them over any team:

Neymar - Firmino - Jesus
Coutinho - Paulinho
Casemiro
Sandro - Silva - Marquinhos - Alves
Ederson​

I like Spain more than most teams (which is why I have them beating Germany). A Brazil/Spain final would be a joy to watch, too. I really don't think either of Germany or France will make the final this edition.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImGoingNucks

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Problem is that you think possession is always a good thing.
Our team is better without possession. Our quick forwards will exploit the slow german defensemen, like Mbappe abused Sule time and time again the other day.
Germany had possession in that semi final. They never were dangerous.

Just barely winning the possession game isn't the be all end all; but germany dominated that semi final, it was Can & Schweini's sloppiness & EM-Müller's wastefulness that kept france in the match. With our quicker thinkers in midfield you wouldn't have even seen the ball, so your quick forwards wouldn't have mattered. Even without Neuer / Boateng / Hummels / Kimmich back there to shut down what few breaks you got.

Midfield play is the most important phase of the modern game, and starving your forwards of the ball is so much easier than doing the same to ours.

Revisionist history.

Right? It's like he forgets that if we had had Stindl in place of Müller we would've outscored them even with the dumb dumbs in midfield handing them a chances.

Well, that means you dont consider that other posters have any knowledge.
Take our Swiss-Denmark discussion - Pretty arrogant to say the least imo. (Dont want to reopen that discussion, just evidence)

There's actually quite a few knowledgeable posters on here for a hockey board. You were just being a homer in that discussion, which is why you came away from it thinking I was being overly dismissive.

Plus I'm just always a smartass. It works a lot better in person where my good looks n charm are more effective, but my smartassery applies to everyone, not just people who's opinions I disagree with.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Give me Mbappe, Dembele & Fekir ahead of Brazil's front three; and that Brazilian midfield isn't good enough to bring their forwards into the match against Germany so they'd spend all match dropping deep just to get a foot on the ball. :dunno:

Again I can see an argument for them to be a bigger threat than Spain, though I'm far from sold on this, but that lineup is simply outclassed by the squads France & German can put out there. We may not beat them 7-1 again, but I would have few worries with that lineup going against this one:

Werner - Müller
Özil
Sane - Gundo - Kroos - Brandt
Mats - Boa - Kimmich
Neuer​

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You blather on with nothing but "...because I said so" and question whether someone saw what they're discussing, and then tell them to "move on". Doesn't matter whether you mean the subject or the forum, you display an arrogance and disrespect that I won't be quiet about either way.
Arrogance is saying I am wrong about France dominating while anyone and their mother could see it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just barely winning the possession game isn't the be all end all; but germany dominated that semi final, it was Can & Schweini's sloppiness & EM-Müller's wastefulness that kept france in the match. With our quicker thinkers in midfield you wouldn't have even seen the ball, so your quick forwards wouldn't have mattered. Even without Neuer / Boateng / Hummels / Kimmich back there to shut down what few breaks you got.

Midfield play is the most important phase of the modern game, and starving your forwards of the ball is so much easier than doing the same to ours.

Right? It's like he forgets that if we had had Stindl in place of Müller we would've outscored them even with the dumb dumbs in midfield handing them a chances.
They dominated that semifinal? Really? When were they dangerous? I remember one single dangerous play.

Again, you really have a skewed understanding of the "modern game". Bayern totally dominated PSG in possession and ended up 0-3 with absolutely zero decent chance.

I guess you pin in on "luck" or "bad team selection".

And you get back to fantasy what ifs.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In literally every single way; every part of that assessment is incorrect. Mesut has never been lazy with the NT, Toni is very incisive, Ilkay is fit right now, and waving away the rest of that talent is simply laughable.
Ozil was a key member of our success in the semi final Lazy was a much too gentle word.
Tony is incisive? Tell that to anyone watching Real right now. He's anything but. Ilkay is fit? Are you serious? He'll be out in less than two months.
Waving away compared to the talent I gave you, yes, that's not laughable, it's true. It'd be like me saying Tousard or something.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I hope to god France doesn't make it out of their WC group just to be able to quote this post and laugh at it.
How does it have anything to do with future games?

Oh yes, it doesn't. Saying France dominated that friendly isn't anything outrageous and certainly not arrogant.
Saying pompously it's wrong because both teams had close shots fired is actually quite arrogant.

But sure, quote and laugh. I've never made a single prediction saying France would win the WC. On the contrary I might say, I made the prediction they wouldn't.
So yeah, laugh all you want, but try to follow the plot please.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
How does it have anything to do with future games?

Oh yes, it doesn't. Saying France dominated that friendly isn't anything outrageous and certainly not arrogant.
Saying pompously it's wrong because both teams had close shots fired is actually quite arrogant.

But sure, quote and laugh. I've never made a single prediction saying France would win the WC. On the contrary I might say, I made the prediction they wouldn't.
So yeah, laugh all you want, but try to follow the plot please.
Wow. I've never seen any post more defensive than this one and I live on the political forum here.

I misread what you said and you went off. Is everything okay?

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Pretty much the same teams always winning.
And in the finals its always the same 6-7 teams.

Finals Since 1982 contains the same 7 teams, remove Spain and Hollands 1 appearance each and its only 5 teams since 1982.

Winners in bold

1982 :Italy - Germany
1986: Argentina - Germany
1990 :Germany - Argentina
1994: Brazil - Italy
1998: France - Brazil
2002: Brazil - Germany
2006: Italy - France
2010: Spain - Netherlands
2014: Germany - Argentina

Pretty consistent... If you ask me.

Yeah, the top 4 may have 1 or 2 suprises every now and again, but nothing that amounts to anything.
Hence me saying what I did - could be more correct and say top 2. But felt top 4 was accurate since they never get further than that.

Nice job moving the goalposts since you realized that you were wrong, and choosing a convenient starting point with regards to the finals.

The tournaments in this century alone have had 11 different semi-finalists in 4 tournaments. 4 different winners. Definitely the same teams winning all the time.

It's not consistent. Brazil and Germany are the only two teams that historically make it far on a consistent basis. A group of 6-7 teams being perennial contenders with another 4-5 teams capable of going far is nothing to sneeze at, and they're rarely the same teams. No other team sport has such parity or depth at the international level.

Your initial claim implies that the World Cup is predictable or that few teams have a chance. You're wrong on both counts. The World Cup has plenty of variety.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

There's actually quite a few knowledgeable posters on here for a hockey board. You were just being a homer in that discussion, which is why you came away from it thinking I was being overly dismissive.

Plus I'm just always a smartass. It works a lot better in person where my good looks n charm are more effective, but my smartassery applies to everyone, not just people who's opinions I disagree with.

No see you just did it again..

You cant just go off and call people homers because you have a different opinion.

I could say the same, you are German, you seem you seem to like the Swiss playing in germany, and follow the BL. Just ad many homer reasons as me being a Canadian Dane.

I even tried to be pretty objective.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Nice job moving the goalposts since you realized that you were wrong, and choosing a convenient starting point with regards to the finals.

The tournaments in this century alone have had 11 different semi-finalists in 4 tournaments. 4 different winners. Definitely the same teams winning all the time.

It's not consistent. Brazil and Germany are the only two teams that historically make it far on a consistent basis. A group of 6-7 teams being perennial contenders with another 4-5 teams capable of going far is nothing to sneeze at, and they're rarely the same teams. No other team sport has such parity or depth at the international level.

Your initial claim implies that the World Cup is predictable or that few teams have a chance. You're wrong on both counts. The World Cup has plenty of variety.

lol what is up with people being sooo antagonistic, and passsive aggressive in this thread?

Not moving any goal posts, since I wasnt discussing it with you, I mentioned I found the top of football boring, you thought hey let me just correct that with a non answer. I then proceeded to rectify what I truly meant by it.

I dont have to defend anything, as it doesnt change what I meant:)

And yes in my opinion having the same 5 teams in the finals for over 30years bar 2010, is pretty boring and predictable:)

Ofcourse you may disagree, just try not being soooo.. well you read the intro of my post;)

Btw, you failed to gather the context, which was that having the same 5-6 teams at the top creates alot of fans on high horses in different forums, know it alls, arrogance and condescending attitudes.

Since 2-3 of those top teams almost always are prt of the top 4 - Doesnt matter if Turkey, Korea, Croatia has had an appearrance there. The top 4 bar a few suprises here and there near always have what I consider top teams taking 2 to 3 of 4 spots.

And the finals are like mentioned even worse.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
"France's midfield is easily the best on paper." I think you have this mistaken for the hot take thread. Kante, Pogba, Rabiot, Matuidi, Tolisso, Bakayoko is easily better than Germany's or Spain's? Ok.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
"France's midfield is easily the best on paper." I think you have this mistaken for the hot take thread. Kante, Pogba, Rabiot, Matuidi, Tolisso, Bakayoko is easily better than Germany's or Spain's? Ok.
Yes.
Pogba is a top 5 midfielder, Kante has twice EPL MVP (or so), Rabiot is developing into a super weapon, Matuidi's level isn't really debatable and Tolisso has eased into Bayern's midfield.
Try to find me comparable levels.

But as I said, on paper. Not sure how DD makes it work.

But I'll remind you it's cgf who homerly claimed Germany's midfielders are above anyone else's.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The French Goretzka is a top 5 midfielder, but Mesut & Toni are problems :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rabiot is a sexy mfer and Kante a beast, but bringing up Matuidi in this context would be like bringing up Khedira.

No see you just did it again..

You cant just go off and call people homers because you have a different opinion.

I could say the same, you are German, you seem you seem to like the Swiss playing in germany, and follow the BL. Just ad many homer reasons as me being a Canadian Dane.

I even tried to be pretty objective.

You were the one that didn't want to re-hash that whole discussion, if you'd like to contest my assessment then we can do so. I don't often call people on their homerism (outside of Evilo cause it's fun to wind him up sometimes). But in that discussion you were over-rating Danes while under-rating swiss players based solely on their nationality, not their league or anything else. We can find those old posts & go over them again if you want.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->