World Cup: 2018 FIFA World Cup Draw (10am ET on 12/1/17, FS1, TSN, etc.)

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Pot 1: Russia (65, hosts), Germany (1), Brazil (2), Portugal (3), Argentina (4), Belgium (5), Poland (6), France (7)

Pot 2: Spain (8), Peru (10), Switzerland (11), England (12), Colombia (13), Mexico (16), Uruguay (17), Croatia (18)

Pot 3: Denmark (19), Iceland (21), Costa Rica (22), Sweden (25), Tunisia (28), Egypt (30), Senegal (32), Iran (34)

Pot 4: Serbia (38), Nigeria (41), Australia (43), Japan (44), Morocco (48), Panama (49), South Korea (62), Saudi Arabia (63)

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
In Canada the draw will be live on TSN and streaming from their website tsn.ca (TSNGO)

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Didn't know where else this would go but there's a bill in Peru that, if passed, would place Peru's FA under control of the government which goes against FIFA laws and runs the risk of them losing their spot in FIFA tournaments(read: 2018 World Cup).

Further plot twist is FIFA is allowed to pick the team that replaces them. Big names right now are Chile, Italy, and the US but no mention of New Zealand(the team Peru beat in the playoff).

If FIFA was smart, and this did go through, they should let Peru play in the WC as when they qualified they were independent of the government but warn them if they don't separate they lose future sports in FIFA events/tournaments. If they actually kick them out and pull another team in you'll just be adding to the already strong stench of bribery the organization has.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
idn't know where else this would go but there's a bill in Peru that, if passed, would place Peru's FA under control of the government which goes against FIFA laws and runs the risk of them losing their spot in FIFA tournaments(read: 2018 World Cup).
It actually wouldn't. The bill is structured so that it wouldn't violate the FIFA bylaws, but regardless, it's not something that really looks like it'll pass.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If I was the coach here is who I'd be deciding between for Russia, depending on whether we player more 3-4-1-2 / 3-1-4-2 or 4-3-1-2 / 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 shapes:

FW/W (12): Werner | Sane | Müller | Reus | Stindl | Brandt | Kruse | Volland | Draxler | Philipp | Uth | Gomez
MID (12): Özil | Kroos | Gundogan | Götze | Weigl | Dahoud | Rudy | Kramer | Goretzka | Demirbay | Havertz | Meyer
DEF (12): Boateng | Hummels | Kimmich | Süle | Henrichs | Weiser | Hector | Vogt | Tah | Rüdiger | Plattenhart | Klostermann
GK (4): Neuer | MAtS | Trapp | Baumann

Now Jogi doesn't rate some of those players as much as I do and rates others more than I do; some will get injured before the WM (Reus, Ilkay & Gotze); and some who are on the outside are going to have a tough time winning Jogi's trust before the WC...but those are the 40 germans who I'd be picking from when it came time to head to Russia.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I wonder if this is the first time the host team will actually be the lowest seed in the tournament.

Also don't understand how Spain are in pot 2. They went undefeated in 2017, and literally won every single game that mattered. Also beat France in Paris a while ago.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, can't see that happening with Peru. Almost to late to do anything now given the draw is on Friday. Looking forward to that and seeing what countries end up where.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I wonder if this is the first time the host team will actually be the lowest seed in the tournament.

Also don't understand how Spain are in pot 2. They went undefeated in 2017, and literally won every single game that mattered. Also beat France in Paris a while ago.

Yes its the first time, however Russia not playing any competitive fixtures hurts their ranking + they weren't doing too well last few years either (barely qualified for Euro 2016 and did nothing there, again hurts their rankings)

The "problem" with Spain was they scheduled a lot of bad friendly matches against low ranked teams (off the top of my head: Bolivia, Georgia, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea). Unfortunately, FIFA Rankings take into account friendly matches and the more games you play the more it actually hurts your ranking. That's how Wales/Poland shot up the rankings, they were winning their qualifying matches and NOT playing friendlies. Wales played one friendly in a span of 2 years

Also, one of the main reasons why Italy was in Pot 2 for the qualifying draw and not Pot 1 was because they scheduled some bad friendlies + never won their strong friendlies. The final spot in Pot 1 for the UEFA qualifying draw actually came down to a friendly match between Italy-Portugal where Italy had to win in order to be in Pot 1...enough said :huh: Also, Italy drew Spain simply due to UEFA TV rules stating that Italy (along with the 4-5 other Euro powerhouses) have to be in a group of 6 teams, had that rule not in place they would have been in Groups H or I

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Rehearsal is totally irrelevant but this was the draw.

Group A: Russia, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia
Group B: Argentina, Switzerland, Nigeria, Iran
Group C: Poland,Egypt, Colombia, Serbia
Group D: Germany, Uruguay, South Korea, Denmark
Group E: Brazil, England, Australia, Sweden
Group F: France, Spain, Costa Rica, Japan
Group G: Belgium, Croatia, Panama, Senegal
Group H: Portugal, Peru, Iceland, Morocco

Glad those aren't the actual groups, I find them boring.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Rehearsal is totally irrelevant but this was the draw.

Group A: Russia, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia
Group B: Argentina, Switzerland, Nigeria, Iran
Group C: Poland,Egypt, Colombia, Serbia
Group D: Germany, Uruguay, South Korea, Denmark
Group E: Brazil, England, Australia, Sweden
Group F: France, Spain, Costa Rica, Japan
Group G: Belgium, Croatia, Panama, Senegal
Group H: Portugal, Peru, Iceland, Morocco

Glad those aren't the actual groups, I find them boring.
Just keep Germany out of Argentina's bracket.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
This is what I got:

Group A

• Russia
  • Spain
  • Costa Rica
  • Morocco
Group B

• Germany
  • Croatia
  • Tunisia
  • Japan
Group C

• Brazil
  • England
  • Iceland
  • Korea Rep.
Group D

• France
  • Mexico
  • Senegal
  • Saudi Arabia
Group E

• Poland
  • Peru
  • Sweden
  • Panama
Group F

• Portugal
  • Colombia
  • Iran
  • Nigeria
Group G

• Argentina
  • Switzerland
  • Denmark
  • Australia
Group H

• Belgium
  • Uruguay
  • Egypt
  • Serbia
Based upon that, here are my playoff predictions:

Spain over Croatia
Brazil over Mexico
Colombia over Poland
Argentina over Uruguay
Germany over Costa Rica
France over England
Portugal over Sweden
Belguim over Switzerland

Brazil over Spain
Argentina over Colombia
Germany over France
Portugal over Belguim

Brazil over Argentina
Portugal over Germany

Brazil over Portugal

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Pot 1: Russia (65, hosts), Germany (1), Brazil (2), Portugal (3), Argentina (4), Belgium (5), Poland (6), France (7)

Pot 2: Spain (8), Peru (10), Switzerland (11), England (12), Colombia (13), Mexico (16), Uruguay (17), Croatia (18)

Pot 3: Denmark (19), Iceland (21), Costa Rica (22), Sweden (25), Tunisia (28), Egypt (30), Senegal (32), Iran (34)

Pot 4: Serbia (38), Nigeria (41), Australia (43), Japan (44), Morocco (48), Panama (49), South Korea (62), Saudi Arabia (63)
Dont think these fifa rankings are up to date.
Think Denmark are 12 atm.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Would love to see a legitimate group of death. Something like France, Spain, Senegal/Denmark and Morocco.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The new pot system makes it impossible for group of death these days IMO. Not a single team in pot 4 should be hard for a top team to beat unless Nigeria comes into the tournament with a good selection and players in good form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->