2018 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
So many things went "right" for the 2017 race to happen the way it did, so I doubt we'll see the same chaos this year.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah but the trend of unexpected podium finisher must continue!

2016 - Perez
2017 - Stroll
2018 - ?

I'm going Alonso.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Caught some of FP2 this morning and saw this. It seems like they are trying to find a way to make the camera shot with the halo somewhat usable.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A cute idea definitely, but not a fan other than as an optional view. Distracts more than the halo and the usual graphics.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I have a season long bet with a guy at work that Stroll will manage to get into the top 10 in qualifying once this season. Almost had him today!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Man being a Raikkonen fan is pretty much masochism at this point. Things just never work out for him despite doing well all weekend and when they do work out for him Ferrari finds a way to f*** him over. Sad.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Formula 2 seems to have a serious clutch issue this year, almost half the grid stalled at the start of the Sunday race.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I'd like to see a list of how many times Verstappen has changed his line under braking and how many of those times he's been warned about it. I bet he walks scot-free again and the RB brass won't even criticize him because he's their golden boy. Not to mention that the RBs could've stayed ahead of Vettel & Hamilton when they pitted, had the RBs not spent most of the race battling for a meaningless 4th place.

Bottas so unlucky, I think he would've challenged for the win even without the SC, the pace on the soft runners was so bad compared to ultra. Vettel showing once again how he can't see the big picture for the championship, just like last year in Singapore. Hamilton smartly eating away Vettel's early lead in the championship (already passed Vettel), knowing that Mercedes is going to pick up the pace eventually. Grosjean lol.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Verstappen just needs more experience and to learn to do the right decisions in each situation. His speed is all about aggression, so until he grows a bit smarter these things will inevitably keep happening.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
He needs to find the sweet spot.

What makes him prone to incidents is what also makes him unique and inevitably one of the best.

Neuter him too much he loses his edge

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He needs to find the sweet spot.

What makes him prone to incidents is what also makes him unique and inevitably one of the best.

Neuter him too much he loses his edge
It's just not an ideal mindset, especially in today's F1 where conserving the engine, fuel, tyres, etc. plays a big role in how the race turns out. Verstappen drives every corner of every lap like it's his last and he can't see the big picture because of it. Today he would've had a chance to get in front of Vettel & Hamilton once those two pitted, had he not wasted so much time on a pointless battle against a teammate that was clearly faster. Obviously the RBs still would've had to pit, but something else could've happened where the RBs would've been able to pull a Bottas and stay ahead of Vettel/Hamilton.

There have been plenty of talented drivers who never reached the peak of F1, because they weren't able to harness that talent. Verstappen is still young so he has more time than those that make it at an older age, but this is now his 4th season in F1 and he's shown zero improvement in driving like the future champion he's proclaimed to be. But you know what's the worst part of it? RBs brass seems to have no interest whatsoever in raising him to become one and the favouritism (at least in the past when he jumped to RB, it hasn't been as obvious recently) he's received from the stewards hasn't helped either. He's like an undisciplined child that has been left to be raised by the other drivers, with very little success (his apology to Vettel after the China incident was a step forward, but what other steps has he made?).

I'll bring up an example from the other side of the spectrum. Alain Prost, who was criticized of thinking too much and being too careful. Well, it didn't stop him from winning four titles and finishing four times as the runner-up. Now I'm not saying that Verstappen needs to become Prost and outsmart everyone, but he needs to start seeing further than the next corner if he ever hopes to sniff a championship. And quite frankly, I'm not sure RB is the right enviroment to adjust him to that change. Verstappen would've been put in his place years ago on a team with more influential figures, such as Ferrari or Mercedes. RB as a whole is being too much of a yes-man to him, in fear of angering him and his father.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Big news for 2019 aero changes to improve overtaking by changing front and rear wing. Approved last minute.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Baku has been, probably, the most entertaining race the last two years.

So yeah. Naturally it's gotta go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad