2018 ECHL Division Semifinals Thread

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Cyclones bow out. A third rate pretender will win the Kelly Cup:laugh:

Cyclones are a very poorly coached team. Fort Wayne is a well coached team. That was the difference in the series.

Fort Wayne and its fans are very passionate about their hockey. I'd say there were 600-1000 on hand Saturday night. Two of the Franke brothers (owners) were there Saturday and Sunday. The Cyclones GM couldn't find the time to make the 20 minute drive from her house to the arena for any of the playoff games.

The Cyclones have found a very good business model. They know how to promote their team. They report honest attendance numbers and I'd guess that the Cyclones were anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the league in actual attendance. Unfortunately, they have found that going deep into the playoffs is generally a money losing proposition. So staying marginally competitive with a playoff berth every two years or so and an early playoff exit is their optimal performance level from a financial perspective. It keeps sponsors interested and minimizes the attrition rate among season ticket holders.

At one point Ray Harris (the ultimate power in the management structure) actually was passionate about winning. Now it's all about money and getting public money to refurbish his US Bank Arena. If he wanted to ice the best team, he would have fired Matt MacDonald a year ago at the latest. I fully expect MacDonald to be back next season. It's just a sound business decision dontchaknow:thumbd:

Good Luck to the Komets in round 2!

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

sikolec

Apr 23, 2018
Orlando moving on to the second round for the first time in their ECHL history. Heeter keeping them in it.

On a side note, Orlando is leading the playoff attendance average with 7,490. Next best is Toledo at 6,908.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Adirondack is moving on, defeating the Worcester Railers 3 to 1 in game #6 of the first round.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Congrats to Adirondack for moving on to the 2nd round, to face Manchester (schedule pending) for the right to represent the North Division in the Conference Finals.

ETA: And kudos to first-year Worcester for making ADK work for their series victory. Good luck to the Railers in Season #2.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Went to the Worcester game tonight. Good crowd for a Monday playoff. Sadly there will be no matchup with Manchester.

There was a disputed goal in favor of ADK at the end of the 1st that ended the scoring for the night. The Worcester goalie was still mad enough that he went after the refs after the game while the handshake line formed. Personally sounded like it hit the crossbar and never landed in the net. I believe the goal judge thought it was a goal, so I'm surprised he didn't get an earful too.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Went to the Worcester game tonight. Good crowd for a Monday playoff. Sadly there will be no matchup with Manchester.

There was a disputed goal in favor of ADK at the end of the 1st that ended the scoring for the night. The Worcester goalie was still mad enough that he went after the refs after the game while the handshake line formed. Personally sounded like it hit the crossbar and never landed in the net. I believe the goal judge thought it was a goal, so I'm surprised he didn't get an earful too.

As I wrote on "This Week in Worcester" and on Twitter, at the very end of the first intermission I saw a super slow motion replay that went frame by frame of the shot and goal...it was a good goal.

Reactions: GarbageGoal

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
As I wrote on "This Week in Worcester" and on Twitter, at the very end of the first intermission I saw a super slow motion replay that went frame by frame of the shot and goal...it was a good goal.

Thanks. I’m kinda surprised word didn’t drift down to the locker room long before the final horn they didn’t get screwed.

Reactions: 210

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->