2018 ECHL ASG

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I hope Indy & the fans attending make a darn good impression on the League next weekend. I'd sure like to see the ASG event hosted in a Midwest city (according to the U.S. Census Bureau) more often in the future.

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I hope Indy & the fans attending make a darn good impression on the League next weekend. I'd sure like to see the ASG event hosted in a Midwest city (according to the U.S. Census Bureau) more often in the future.
Just a heads up, the game and skills competition start Monday at 1:00 PM. While it is a federal holiday, Monday's are generally not considered "weekends". :D

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Toledo will do the same next year. MLK Day is a day off school in most big cities & families are looking for something to do. The ASG will never be on a "weekend" because no team wants to give up two weekend home dates to benefit one team, but a Monday on a 3-day weekend (into a window opened by NHL Network) works. Indy should have a good crowd.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Toledo will do the same next year. MLK Day is a day off school in most big cities & families are looking for something to do. The ASG will never be on a "weekend" because no team wants to give up two weekend home dates to benefit one team, but a Monday on a 3-day weekend (into a window opened by NHL Network) works. Indy should have a good crowd.
I think it is a good choice. The Royals have had a MLK matinee game for several years, and promote it with the schools, handing out vouchers for a free kids ticket with an adult ticket when they do appearances leading up to the game and such. It has been pretty successful at getting people who might not be hockey fans to try a game.

The downside for others, like me, is that I'm especially busy at work on MLK day. Because kids are out of school, and there aren't traditional family activities, parents will use the day to catch up on things like eye exams and glasses. Has meant I end up missing a game that I paid for as a STH. If the ECHL takes it over as the day to have the ASG, I won't be bothered at all that the Royals no longer have that game.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I'll be attending both the Fan Fest this Sunday afternoon, as well as the All-Star Game Monday afternoon.

Will be pretty cool seeing the Stanley Cup in person. I'll be looking for the Basil Pockington Xs for laughs.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Didn't realize this before but there are three regular games scheduled on the same day.
Atlanta, Allen & Utah. Teams have gotta bump their attendance numbers every chance they get. MLK Day could be one of their largest draws of the season.

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
They're letting Scott Goodyear coach one of the teams? Jeez, I hope he's a better coach than he is a TV commentator. Those ABC Indycar broadcasts are brutal.

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
Goodyear makes more sense than Stewart. But if they really wanted a Canadian driver they should have gotten Paul Tracy. He could've told the guys to give them "the chrome horn". :laugh:

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The fan fest was pretty fun, and so was the game.

The reason why the North Division didn't have a goalie was likely due to only having six teams, and that because the Fuel were the host, the ECHL felt they were entitled to a second player in the event.

I did take plenty of pictures, though.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Any guess on game attendance(s) from those who were there? Official numbers will be misleading.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The fan fest was pretty fun, and so was the game.

The reason why the North Division didn't have a goalie was likely due to only having six teams, and that because the Fuel were the host, the ECHL felt they were entitled to a second player in the event.

I did take plenty of pictures, though.
The North didn't have a goalie???

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The North didn't have a goalie???
The north team used the Fuel's goalie. It's possible the league decided to do that on purpose since the north division is smaller, to give the home team the extra player, or possibly they originally chose a north division goalie, who then got called up or injured, and so they decided to use the Fuel goalie instead of trying to find a replacement from a north division team.

When it was held in Reading several years ago that happened also. Someone got called up at the last minute and the decided to use one of the Royals. He had already made plans to go out of town for the all-star break, so it was still a mad scramble to get him back to Reading in time for the events.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The north team used the Fuel's goalie. It's possible the league decided to do that on purpose since the north division is smaller, to give the home team the extra player, or possibly they originally chose a north division goalie, who then got called up or injured, and so they decided to use the Fuel goalie instead of trying to find a replacement from a north division team.

When it was held in Reading several years ago that happened also. Someone got called up at the last minute and the decided to use one of the Royals. He had already made plans to go out of town for the all-star break, so it was still a mad scramble to get him back to Reading in time for the events.
Ohhh... that makes way more sense than having them play with an open net :laugh:

And, yeah, I guess that ensures the host gets to send both Neal and Marcoux.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Any guess on game attendance(s) from those who were there? Official numbers will be misleading.

There were a few empty sections, don't get me wrong. It wasn't a completely full house, but I can say at least 3,300 fans showed up. A good Fuel game is over 4,000, especially for a losing team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad