[2018 Draft] Who are your sleepers and stay away from prospects for this upcoming draft?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah it's weird, it seems to have gone in the other direction now. People are almost overly enthusiastic about small players now and don't want anything to do with big guys even if they can play.

And I think Mattias Samuelsson has become so underrated because of that. In terms of pure performance, I think he's been one of the best this season. The kid is really solid defensively, could probably play in the NHL next season because of how defensively reliable he is, and he can skate reasonably well. He puts up enough points and can move the puck. He's not going to be an offensive defenseman, thats not his game, but since its not, he's the next "do not draft" player, which makes no sense to me. Wouldn't a team want the next Tanev or Manson as much as they want the next Gostisbehere or Dumba? I think they do, but it seems like fans only want the next Gostibehere or Dumba, and think you can luck out with drafting a defensive defenseman later in the draft. Or maybe some fans don't even want those players, and think you can win with video game hockey.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
And I think Mattias Samuelsson has become so underrated because of that. In terms of pure performance, I think he's been one of the best this season. The kid is really solid defensively, could probably play in the NHL next season because of how defensively reliable he is, and he can skate reasonably well. He puts up enough points and can move the puck. He's not going to be an offensive defenseman, thats not his game, but since its not, he's the next "do not draft" player, which makes no sense to me. Wouldn't a team want the next Tanev or Manson as much as they want the next Gostisbehere or Dumba? I think they do, but it seems like fans only want the next Gostibehere or Dumba, and think you can luck out with drafting a defensive defenseman later in the draft. Or maybe some fans don't even want those players, and think you can win with video game hockey.

Probably this. Adam Larsson is a prime example of a guy that gets underrated because he doesn't put up big points but guys like him are just as important as the big point-producing players. Thanks to him Klefbom had a career year last year and Nurse broke out this year playing mainly with him. Brian Dumoulin is another guy who isn't getting much appreciation but has played an instrumental role on a back-to-back Cup-winning team.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
I like Perbix.

Perunovich, too...don't know if he has the athleticism to make it, though. Great hockey mind.

Seems like Jensen has slipped WAY down, and has gone from overrated to underrated.

Have you seen Lagerstrom at all recently? I haven't. A big, RHD who scores a lot.
I saw him play a couple times early and he did some good things but didn't really stand out. It looks like he has really taken off by looking at his stats. Has a great tool bag.

Many times I have watched players one game and have said why the hype, then the next two games have been blown away by the player. Lots of up and down at these ages but usually I go by potential because after a while they learn they can't take games off.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've seen Khovanov enough now that he's looks disinterested and lazy. Takes lazy penalties and only looks interested on the powerplay. I've let my feelings known in his thread. I guess I was expecting a lot more. I hadn't seen him prior to coming to the Q so I didn't know what to expect. I was thinking maybe a Kostin type of player. Thoroughly disappointed in 6 viewings now. I don't like him as a player but his team mates seem to enjoy playing with him.

In short when I watch games I watch for Khovanov and he's invisible until he's on his way to the box. I don't look for Salda but makes himself noticeable every shift in some way. I can tell you that Salda and Safin were more noticeable on the ice than Veleno

Khovanov was recovering from a debilitating bout of Hepatitis during his draft year, which definitely affected his energy and ability to play.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Khovanov was recovering from a debilitating bout of Hepatitis during his draft year, which definitely affected his energy and ability to play.
I watched 12 of his games this year. Nothing has changed. Not a good hockey player and dirty.thers nothing about his play that makes me think he will ever be an NHL player in the future. No hepatitis this year.Even coming back after a suspension the Moncton play by play guys said he’s back but we don’t know if he will help or hurt the team

Last edited:

KristichBabych

Jun 15, 2018
Sleeper Justin Almeida (round 5, 129, pittsburgh)have been really good but played hurt all the year and was bad in the playoff...Martin Pospisil (round 4th, 105 Calgary)had a good year too and Xavier Bouchard good too(round 6th , 185 Las Vegas), they were all sleeper at start of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad