2018 Draft Thread (June 22nd, 7:30PM | June 23rd, 11AM)

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
My favourites for this draft are mainly forwards, hope Kravtsev will be there when CBJ will be picking at 18. If no, Jacob Olofsson and Ryan McLeod sounds like our types of players for plan B & C respectivly. With 2nd and 3rd round, im hoping for two late boomers, Jay O’Brien and Jack McBain. :sarcasm:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
The author has boiled "puck-moving defensemen" down to a definition that is poorly defined and fairly meaningless. He basically argues "the Jackets should take good defensemen." Hard to disagree with that analysis.
Taking Corey Pronman as a gospel, who values skill over everything. Just look at his draft rankings.
I wish he would name 5 good active defencemen in NHL right now who is under 6'o".

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Taking Corey Pronman as a gospel, who values skill over everything. Just look at his draft rankings.
I wish he would name 5 good active defencemen in NHL right now who is under 6'o".
Not a big fan of his idea but...Spurgeon, Krug, Ellis, Andy Green, Vatanen? Just few names in little bit more seconds

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Not a big fan of his idea but...Spurgeon, Krug, Ellis, Andy Green, Vatanen? Just few names in little bit more seconds
Got me there, but which one you would have drafted in 1st round? Only Ellis was.
Pronman suggests to draft those guys in top10.

Also after his "scouting" on PLD i can't take him seriously, bad blood. :)

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Hadn’t really heard much on Jay O’Brien, but Mark Sheig seems to think it’s a real possibility for the #cbj. Watching his highlights , and you can see why. Kid is a burner.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He's a high school kid...I'd prefer a guy playing against tougher competition. His combine stats were pretty good.

NHL Scouting Combine: O'Brien paces New England prospects
Performed pretty well at the combine, especially with his situation. Apparently he chose to stay with high school hockey so he could be close to home and spend more time in the gym working on weakness' for an extra year vs all the long bus rides and extended trips away.
Was it the right choice? Maybe it was, maybe it wasnt but it atleast shows he can recognize his own weaknesses and work on them aswell as show he can look at the big picture vs short term success. If we reach on him i wouldnt be upset, would be another high upside pick like Texier and we all know we need prospects like that to turn into NHLers

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
If you could draft for best interview/personality. Jonny Tychonick is definitely the guy. :) LD though.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Which I sincerely doubt since most top 15 lists are heavily weighted to D.
Nobody expected the run on D that dropped Filip Forsberg to #11 overall in 2012 either. Or for Fowler and Gormley to drop like flies in 2010. Crazy things happen at the draft sometimes.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Nobody expected the run on D that dropped Filip Forsberg to #11 overall in 2012 either. Or for Fowler and Gormley to drop like flies in 2010. Crazy things happen at the draft sometimes.

true dat...I'm hoping Svechnikov to drop to us to become the all time crazy thing...:sarcasm::laugh:

Reactions: Viqsi

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina top NHL.com mock drafts

3 NHL.com mock drafts:
18. Columbus Blue Jackets

Kimelman -- Denisenko:
An outstanding skater and playmaker, Denisenko excelled in Russia's junior league, playing well enough to earn his first promotion to the Kontinental Hockey League and get into four playoff games. Although not the biggest player on the ice, he's fearless and physical.
Morreale -- Vitali Kravtsov, RW, Chelyabinsk (KHL): The KHL rookie of the year, Kravtsov (6-2, 170) grew in stature in the minds of scouts with a solid performance in the KHL playoffs, with 11 points (six goals, five assists) in 16 games. He's a strong skater with balance and speed, and can create offense around the net.
Lepage -- Isac Lundestrom, C, Lulea (SWE): In a draft class that comes up a bit short in top-line centers, Lundestrom (6-0, 185) catches the eye with his speed, puck protection skills and offensive zone flair. He played well for Sweden at the World Junior Championship and already has developed a complete game.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
^^^^ If those 3 are available from what I've read and some highlight clips I'd go
Kravtsov
Denisenko
Lundestrom

Interestingly enough Kravstov wasn't in the top 31 of Kimelman's draft. Lepage had him 30th.

As usual I'm probably wrong.:dunno:

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
^^^^ If those 3 are available from what I've read and some highlight clips I'd go
Kravtsov
Denisenko
Lundestrom

Interestingly enough Kravstov wasn't in the top 31 of Kimelman's draft. Lepage had him 30th.

As usual I'm probably wrong.:dunno:
Lepage also had Svechnikov dropping to the Sens. I believe we were just on the topic of crazy things... ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad