2018 Draft Thread (June 22nd, 7:30PM | June 23rd, 11AM)

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Since we are throwing names out here... Decided I'd share another one... Mark Scheig (The Hockey Writers) stated he believes the Blue Jackets are very interested in Alexander Alexeyev, Russian defenseman playing in the WHL for Red Deer.

He's a pretty big (6'3", 200 lb) Defenseman that skates pretty well. Supposedly, he has a pretty solid all around hockey game, low risk player. Drawbacks to his game- Is injured quite a bit, might lack the offensive upside. But, he scored 37 points in 45 games in the regular season, and added 5 points in 3 post-season games this season, which isn't too bad...

And, I know this is from watching about a 2 minute highlight tape, so you have to take it with a grain of salt... But, I thought he showed some surprising offensive upside in watching it.

He seems to be ranked as late 1st to early 2nd round pick

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Since we are throwing names out here... Decided I'd share another one... Mark Scheig (The Hockey Writers) stated he believes the Blue Jackets are very interested in Alexander Alexeyev, Russian defenseman playing in the WHL for Red Deer.

He's a pretty big (6'3", 200 lb) Defenseman that skates pretty well. Supposedly, he has a pretty solid all around hockey game, low risk player. Drawbacks to his game- Is injured quite a bit, might lack the offensive upside. But, he scored 37 points in 45 games in the regular season, and added 5 points in 3 post-season games this season, which isn't too bad...

And, I know this is from watching about a 2 minute highlight tape, so you have to take it with a grain of salt... But, I thought he showed some surprising offensive upside in watching it.

He seems to be ranked as late 1st to early 2nd round pick
As soon as you say injured and might lack offense half the board thinks Ryan Murray and probably wouldnt be willing to use a 4th on him

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Ok, I'm not in the BPA camp this season. I'd like to see us take a bit of a risk at center or forward on a high ceiling guy.

Not really going to look at the players to be honest. I'll look after we draft.
Totally agree , drafting where we are , unless a top defenseman falls into our lap, I would certainly be trying to aquiring a potential top line center , maybe someone that has skills off the chart , but has an area they need to address , and falls to our range . Next in line would be a winger , with high end potential. The drop off between players in the late teens shouldn’t be that much where we need to go defense because they slot next at bpa

Reactions: Jackets Fan

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The trend usually is centers and solid potential top 2 defensemen move up on draft day. There are very few centers most top 15 rankings right now. Odds are we are going to see centers move up and wingers move down.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
It could be an interesting when we pick. There are a lot of good defenseman available in the top 11-12 picks of the draft. According to ISS, they have 6 defenseman in the top 11 players. But, there aren't any high end natural centers in this draft at all. There are quite a bit of centers/wingers available around us. That's kind of why I lean to picking center/forward at our spot, considering that's an area we could use some help at.

We'll see what happens in June. I tend to think Kotkaniemi is gone by our pick. But, who knows what will happen by then. I just like to throw names out there and look into it a bit.

I'm usually a big draft fan. Shoot, I'm already looking ahead to who I can switch shifts with at work to try and get the draft night off due to the trades, around the league events, and draft day hype that exists.

Reactions: CBJSTH

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Count me out on taking a defenseman with our 18OA

Also count me out on the Merkley hype train.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Never draft for need.

I honestly don't care who we take, as long as 5 or 6 years from now we don't have a shopping list of players who were taken after the Jackets pick who have gone on to have stellar NHL careers. Long as we get a bonafide NHLer I'll be happy

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Never draft for need.

I honestly don't care who we take, as long as 5 or 6 years from now we don't have a shopping list of players who were taken after the Jackets pick who have gone on to have stellar NHL careers. Long as we get a bonafide NHLer I'll be happy
You love some pasta right? :D

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You love some pasta right? :D
Pasta
Spaghetti Full House Shake.gif

Or

Pasta
GoodHastyAsiantrumpetfish-size_restricted.gif

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This is the main guy ive been hoping for all along. Really hope he falls to us

Any time a player has Kuznetsov potential it seems to me a good bet. Also it appears to be a reasonably good chance he'll be available at 18.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->