Prospect Info: 2018 Draft Thread (STL #1 via WPG is 29th OA)

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Well considering that we'd need to win a lottery pick to get in the top 10, should we have a top 10 pick we can stand pat and may even pick up Svechnikov or Dahlin rather than Tkachuk.

We're not falling into the bottom 10. We've made up too much ground.
We're only 9 points away from being a lottery team. Have you not been watching the Blues play since December? We have 5 games remaining that are against central teams that are below us. Potentially losing all 5 of those games plus however many we lose in the other 11 games could definitely put us in a Top 10 position. Of course we could stand pat if we get lucky in the lottery, but if Tkachuk is still available around 4 or 5 and the Oilers are there, I would like to trade up for Tkachuk. Right now our pick is #14 so falling to a lottery pick is definitely in the equation. Our roster for the remaining season is going to be brutal. If they really want to tank, put Allen in.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We're only 9 points away from being a lottery team. Have you not been watching the Blues play since December? We have 5 games remaining that are against central teams that are below us. Potentially losing all 5 of those games plus however many we lose in the other 11 games could definitely put us in a Top 10 position. Of course we could stand pat if we get lucky in the lottery, but if Tkachuk is still available around 4 or 5 and the Oilers are there, I would like to trade up for Tkachuk. Right now our pick is #14 so falling to a lottery pick is definitely in the equation. Our roster for the remaining season is going to be brutal. If they really want to tank, put Allen in.

I would love to get Tkachuk at draft. Home town boy and what connection his father had in Blues. Perfect fit on us, even better then Dahlin.

WiscoBlues

Feb 1, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I'm kinda surprised at how many people seem to think we're gonna finish bottom 10. 9 pts is a pretty sizable lead with 16 games left. I mean, it's not impossible, but we'd have to get caught by one of the NY teams who are both currently on pace to finish with 82 pts. You really think we can't get ~7 pts from our remaining 16 games? I get that we're bad, but I would be pretty dang surprised if we couldn't muster that.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I'm kinda surprised at how many people seem to think we're gonna finish bottom 10. 9 pts is a pretty sizable lead with 16 games left. I mean, it's not impossible, but we'd have to get caught by one of the NY teams who are both currently on pace to finish with 82 pts. You really think we can't get ~7 pts from our remaining 16 games? I get that we're bad, but I would be pretty dang surprised if we couldn't muster that.

Doesn’t seem likely, huh? We need another one of those 7 game losing streaks. Maybe the Hawks sweep us all 3 games and pass us ? Its going take 3-13 or 4-12 to do it. Not real likely, but not impossible.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I would love to get Tkachuk at draft. Home town boy and what connection his father had in Blues. Perfect fit on us, even better then Dahlin.

It would be hysterical, if after all of Ranksu's wishing for the Blues to fail, they finally do and use that draft pick to to get a Sweedish LHD who blocks both Mikkola and Lindbohm from ever playing in the NHL.

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
It would be hysterical, if after all of Ranksu's wishing the Blues fail, they finally do and us that draft pick to to get a Sweedish LHD who blocks both Mikkola and Lindbohm from ever playing in the NHL.
I think if this team were the Espoo Blues, then and only then, would Ransku be truly content with this team.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

While I do not think it's likely, there are a few factors that make it not as unlikely as you'd think, perhaps. I do say I vary from "no chance at all" to "Well maybe..." on our free fall almost by the day.

Basically we need 2 things to happen. We need to finish 11th in the West. All that takes is for us to finish 6th in the central (which shouldn't hard in this stupid division) and finish behind all the California teams and Calgary in the Pacific. Calgary will probably be the hardest on that list, but that seems doable.

Then, in the East, it just turns into a numbers game. We need 3 teams, not including the wild card winners, to end up with more points then us. That would mean we need to finish worse then 5 of these 6.

New Jersey, Columbus, Florida, Carolina, NYR, NYI.

The first good news is that Florida is only 5 games back of us and have 3 in hand, and are playing great hockey right now. They should be considered the favorite for the 8th East playoff seed with New Jersey. Colombus and Carolina aren't playing amazing right now, but they are within striking distance. That means if one of the New York teams get hot, we have a legitimate shot at this... and I say that after the Rangers have won 3 in a row. Also, a part of the Islanders team has to feel like they need to play desperate. This might be their one chance to do anything before Tavares leaves.

I'm not saying it's a GOOD chance. I am however saying there is a chance.

Also, the more teams we pass, the higher our lottery odds. So that too.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Unfortunately i think were destined for the 11-13 spot. That being said, i still make the trade for Schenn. He is more of what we need on this team, and i hope he remains a Blue through another contract.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
While I do not think it's likely, there are a few factors that make it not as unlikely as you'd think, perhaps. I do say I vary from "no chance at all" to "Well maybe..." on our free fall almost by the day.

Basically we need 2 things to happen. We need to finish 11th in the West. All that takes is for us to finish 6th in the central (which shouldn't hard in this stupid division) and finish behind all the California teams and Calgary in the Pacific. Calgary will probably be the hardest on that list, but that seems doable.

Then, in the East, it just turns into a numbers game. We need 3 teams, not including the wild card winners, to end up with more points then us. That would mean we need to finish worse then 5 of these 6.

New Jersey, Columbus, Florida, Carolina, NYR, NYI.

The first good news is that Florida is only 5 games back of us and have 3 in hand, and are playing great hockey right now. They should be considered the favorite for the 8th East playoff seed with New Jersey. Colombus and Carolina aren't playing amazing right now, but they are within striking distance. That means if one of the New York teams get hot, we have a legitimate shot at this... and I say that after the Rangers have won 3 in a row. Also, a part of the Islanders team has to feel like they need to play desperate. This might be their one chance to do anything before Tavares leaves.

I'm not saying it's a GOOD chance. I am however saying there is a chance.

Also, the more teams we pass, the higher our lottery odds. So that too.
350.png

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Unfortunately i think were destined for the 11-13 spot. That being said, i still make the trade for Schenn. He is more of what we need on this team, and i hope he remains a Blue through another contract.

Agreed. A late first to get rid of Lehtera, and a 11-15 pick is fair for Schenn. We can only hope that whoever we pick their turns into a player like Schenn. Schenn was a former #5 pick after all. Wghile we miss out on his cheaper ELC years, Schenn fits our core's age group and we needed someone with his skill set now. It's definitely a good trade. That said, my fingers are crossed for the lottery win and getting a guy who can contribute in a year or two., and getting Schenn for the 31st OA next year. But if no miracles occur, I am still happy with the trade.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Could there be possibilty to go up in draft with Jets late 1st round pick + NHL player (Sobotka) + prospect? If Bill Armstrong is high on someone at draft who he would like to get.

I'm afraid that prospect need to be our top 4 forward prospect tho.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Could there be possibilty to go up in draft with Jets late 1st round pick + NHL player (Sobotka) + prospect? If Bill Armstrong is high on someone at draft who he would like to get.

I'm afraid that prospect need to be our top 4 forward prospect tho.

Well how high are you wanting to go? Because without adding Kyrou or Thomas that package isn’t getting you into the top 10 if that’s what you want. And even then it’s still a toss up.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I think you have to look at this draft as a long term investment with BA driving it. We have a lot of prospects who are on their way up next year and the year after. I don't think we have to hope on hitting the homerun on a player that will make an immediate impact next year or the year after. I suspect that we will eventually ship out some of these prospects as they all can't play, which isn't a bad position to be in as you can use those prospects to seed the next round of up and coming prospects.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well how high are you wanting to go? Because without adding Kyrou or Thomas that package isn’t getting you into the top 10 if that’s what you want. And even then it’s still a toss up.
I said I don't know which one Bill would be interested and wanted to ask can Army push hard draft up that Jets pick. Lets assume current standing Jets would pick #27.

Could it be change we could get ~15 spot with #27 pick + top4 prospect + NHL caliber player (Sobotka).

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Why would we want to move up 15 spots for a player that’s likely going to be similar to our current prospects and in the process pay to do so?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Why would we want to move up 15 spots for a player that’s likely going to be similar to our current prospects and in the process pay to do so?

best-wow-gif-111-1.gif

I said if there would be prospect what Bill would be interested? I just try to find out what the cost would be #27--> ~#15 spot. Ofc that is bad plan to pay late round pick + NHL player + top4 prospect if we get return of younger prospect what we just trade away.

Jeesus why you guys always try to twist my words or troll me? Like above @Majorityof1 and @ezcreepin
I doubt we see Lindbohm ever again play at NA, he's going to come back Europe most likely. Mikkola in other hand is strong candidate top4 role in Blues. Its going to be good we've competition for youngsters and if we've too many guys its gives us possibilty to trade those regressed finns to prospect forward or late round pick or pizza coupons.

Fill the holes

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Reading the different threads with posters being hopeful all these rookies make the big club next season makes me hope Philly does get our 1st this year. Because next year Blues might be pushing double digit lottery odds for Hughes.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Reading the different threads with posters being hopeful all these rookies make the big club next season makes me hope Philly does get our 1st this year. Because next year Blues might be pushing double digit lottery odds for Hughes.

Yep, I'm not concerned at all about Philly getting our pick, even if it's #11. We got back into the first round, and that's sufficient for me. I had a dream last night that the Blues kept the Winnipeg pick - I was astonished, haha. I fully expect DA to trade that pick along with someone like Sobotka and/or a prospect for a top 6 addition...and I think he should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad