Prospect Info: 2018 Draft Thread (STL #1 via WPG is 29th OA)

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Why is McBain the “legit” center spec. Watched him live multiple times, yeah he has size and some skill but he’s one of if not my biggest 1st round red flags. He really doesn’t dominate in the OJ at all, he chose to stay to play w/ friends when he could’ve been challenging himself more and developing in the OHL. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him drop into the 2nd.

Side note: w/ the Winnipeg pick(if we keep it) I think Dominik Bokk would be a fantastic pick anywhere between 24-31

Said it earlier in the thread I would be shocked if Bokk is available in that range. I would prefer the Blues to target more defense over offense this draft but if Bokk is there with the Winnipeg pick I take him no questions asked.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
If Blues pick does end up around 9/10 and Blues keep it I really like Evan Bouchard. Watching Thomas’ Knights games you get to see Evan play a lot and I really like how he played.

Depends whether Oliver Wahlstrom or Brady Tkachuk are still on the board at that point.
Other than Dahlin, I have a very hard time taking a D man with a top 10 pick. They would have to be the clear BPA, and IMO all of the D men besides Dahlin have enough flaws to make me question them. Meanwhile, I do like the top 4 wingers this year. Svechnikov may be the only true superstar, but I think Zadina, Wahlstrom and Tkachuk all have Schenn/Schwartz level upside and I have a very hard time passing that up.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I would be surprised if Brady or Wahlstrom is available. But if so, yes you should always go BPA. I’m just happy we have someone like Bill Armstrong. I know he will do his job.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think the 1st rounder we received will be traded, no doubt. Armstrong has a ton of work to do this offseason, and this 1st will help to bring in a player like Hoffman. I love draft night (it's like Christmas for me), but I don't see how Armstrong keeps this pick. And if we get into the top 10 with our own pick? Oh boy, Armstrong will have a lot of ammo to make some serious moves.
Hate to say it, but I think you're 100% right. I'd be surprised if the Blues end up using the Winnipeg pick, especially if we end up keeping our own pick (however unlikely). My guess would be the Winnipeg pick gets packaged with one or more of our prospects for immediate top 6 help. I can't see us trading a top 10 pick, if by some miracle we got so lucky...not sure if that's what you were implying by saying Armstrong would have a lot of ammo?

I would really like to see us get another 2nd for Sobotka if at all possible. Given the make up of this draft and the quality depth of talent supposedly available from the 20-40+ pick range, it would be huge to give Bill and the boys another shot in that range.

I have my doubts that McBain would choose "friends" as the main reason to go OJHL - that's what guys do when they drop from AAA to houseleague. Who knows why he's there? Could be a multiple of reasons, and we don't know them except he's going to Boston, so maybe he wants an Ivy school degree?
In any case he holds his nose I guess until he gets there, although really he should be a positive leader for his team until the season ends.
. I agree he'll drop to second round. I've always believed that.
Not trying to be an asshole, but Boston College is not an ivy league school. It is still a very good school tho, so it's plausible that Jack might want to get his degree from there.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
If Blues pick does end up around 9/10 and Blues keep it I really like Evan Bouchard. Watching Thomas’ Knights games you get to see Evan play a lot and I really like how he played.

Bouchard or Dobson are my targets if we pick 9/10.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Hate to say it, but I think you're 100% right. I'd be surprised if the Blues end up using the Winnipeg pick, especially if we end up keeping our own pick (however unlikely). My guess would be the Winnipeg pick gets packaged with one or more of our prospects for immediate top 6 help. I can't see us trading a top 10 pick, if by some miracle we got so lucky...not sure if that's what you were implying by saying Armstrong would have a lot of ammo?.

I don’t think we’d trade our top 10 pick, but I do think that would make Armstrong more likely to trade a top prospect for immediate help.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If we got a Tkachuk on this team, hoo boy. The “stop hitting people and play shinny” crowd will really hate that. He seems to me like a LWer like his dad, but I’d love to have him on this team regardless. We wouldn’t get pushed around nearly as much with him and Eddy around, and he’d (A) draw a ton of penalties because he’s a huge pest, and (B) would make teams pay because he’s a terrific net-front presence.

Speaking of physicality, if you want some later in this draft go out and get Austin Wong out of the AJHL, or Tyler Tucker out of the OHL. Both thrive on knocking guys’ teeth out, but have at least a decent scoring touch too. Wong especially, that kid is nuts.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
[QUOTE Not trying to be an *******, but Boston College is not an ivy league school. It is still a very good school tho, so it's plausible that Jack might want to get his degree from there.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
[QUOTE Not trying to be an *******, but Boston College is not an ivy league school. It is still a very good school tho, so it's plausible that Jack might want to get his degree from there.
[/QUOTE]

You're right - well, who knows then.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It’s not even really the degree, a lot of these guys aren’t finishing their 4 years at these schools. I sincerely doubt they’re finishing in 2-3 years while also playing NCAA sports. Even Parayko needed some time online after he turned pro to finish his degree, and that was noted as an exception to the rule.

No, the lure of playing in Hockey East is a big enough draw to get all these kids risking their draft status over it. The allure of the Beanpot trophy is real. It’s a terrific and competitive conference with a rabid fan base, and our scouts just DROOL over the players that end up there. It’s a microcosm of guys who like to play hockey “the right way.” It does well for players who are physical, and big dmen who can move the puck. It’s a league that breeds guys that we like, and if their decision to go there causes them to fall in the draft order, all the better for us.

To me, it’s a market inefficiency in draft rankings. Guys in lower leagues who want to go to NCAA schools, particularly Hockey East schools, are typically (not always) ranked lower than guys who are in the CHL or foreign leagues. Playing hockey more or less full time. If you can resist being seduced by early results, investing in players who will take years to develop can really pay off. Just look at Boston right now, they’ve got a ton of guys out of college that are contributing in a big way.

So, for a guy like McBain who has more than proved himself in international competition, but plays his club hockey for a bad team in a bad league, his underrated-ness is potentially our benefit. The same things were said about Poehling last year as are being said about McBain now, and Poehling is killing it at St Cloud right now. Habs scouts love him.

Idk, I don’t really care what league you play in as a kid. If you can play, you should play for us! If the draft was full of perfect information and drafters were completely unbiased, then we never should have ended up with Thomas or Kyrou or Kostin or Husso or yadda yadda yadda. BArmstrong has been great at exploiting inefficiencies in the draft market. Just like everyone else here, I trust his judgement, and whatever he wants to do I’m cool with.

... still hate the Trenton Bourque pick though

Reactions: Shwabeal

WiscoBlues

Feb 1, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I think we should take the BPA, but I'm also in the camp that thinks we could use a RHD. The names that most people seem to agree on going in the first are Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, Wilde, Merkley, and Woo. I don't think we're gonna end up in the top 10 unfortunately unless the ping pong balls bounce our way, and out of those guys listed, I can really only see Woo being available wherever we end up picking via Winnipeg. Merkley might be available too, but it seems like scouts are all over the place with him so who knows.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What return guys like Berglund, Sobotka, Jbo and Gunnar would bring to us at draft?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
If you guys miss the playoffs, it would be a mistake to trade the pick. Kings were in the same boat, two years ago and threw away the 13th overall (Barzal, Conner) for absolute nothing.

Like LA, Blues still have the vets on the roster and should make another push. I doubt St.Louis will get another pick in the 5-15 range in the next upcoming years.

Trade those late 1st rounders, not this possible one.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
If you guys miss the playoffs, it would be a mistake to trade the pick. Kings were in the same boat, two years ago and threw away the 13th overall (Barzal, Conner) for absolute nothing.

Like LA, Blues still have the vets on the roster and should make another push. I doubt St.Louis will get another pick in the 5-15 range in the next upcoming years.

Trade those late 1st rounders, not this possible one.

We already traded the pick unless it gets in the top 10. And if it does get into the top 10 and we trade it, I'll want someones head.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I’m not even looking at players who could be there in the 20’s - Armstrong will trade the Winnipeg pick. Normally I wouldn’t like that, but we need serious help now, not a guy who has a 50% chance of playing for us in 3-4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67Blues

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Actually, I think its a good draft to look into the prospects in the late teens through the mid second round. This draft is weak at Centers, has a good top 10, Strong on D (even though many are on the small side), and has a group from 13 or so to 40 that could be picked at any spot. Sure, the Blues most likely move the Jets pick, but that's not certain and there is always the chance that they might end up back in the first round with another trade. With the Blues playing sub par hockey for some time it leads to uncertainty which creates change. It's better to know the prospects they might draft or trade away to judge fair value.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Looking at the standings, there are realistically 7 teams within distance that could catch and pass the Blues putting us in 9th or 10 pick. My question is, does Vegas automatically get a top 10 pick thus possibly pushing us out of the top 10 and giving Philly the 11th? My gut says this team will play just good enough to get #11 or #12, putting a fitting end on the season and as a reward we get to listen to Philly fans gloat over their draft pick. But at this point, it would be a nice consolation prize to keep our pick this year and defer Philly's pick to next year.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Looking at the standings, there are realistically 7 teams within distance that could catch and pass the Blues putting us in 9th or 10 pick. My question is, does Vegas automatically get a top 10 pick thus possibly pushing us out of the top 10 and giving Philly the 11th? My gut says this team will play just good enough to get #11 or #12, putting a fitting end on the season and as a reward we get to listen to Philly fans gloat over their draft pick. But at this point, it would be a nice consolation prize to keep our pick this year and defer Philly's pick to next year.

Wtf? Vegas gets an auto top 10 pick?.......Please someone tell me that's not true cause I'm feeling a Luke Skywalker dad reveal moment coming on.

Sadly with our current pacing we'll end up in the nightmare scenario of 11th or 12th you described. We're going to need some Jake Allen starts to get this tank back on track. None of this competent Carter Hutton stuff, we don't need that right now.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I can't find anything that states that Vegas has a 1st rounder this year as it went to Detroit, so maybe this is all an internet rumor that they get some compensatory pick due to their expansion status.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Pretty sure Vegas is not guaranteed a top 10 pick...I haven't heard that mentioned anywhere outside this thread. Where did that rumor originate?

I think there was some sort of a guarantee on their pick in the 2017 draft, maybe that's the confusion?

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
If we get into the Top 10 I would like to trade that pick and the Winnipeg pick to move up to select Tkachuk. His brother is already at a 55 ppg pace over his career and is on pace for 63 points this year at 20 years old. Brady plays just like his brother but has the frame of his dad. His skating is excellent for his size, he uses his edges very well. He's not super fast but it's not like he doesn't have a set of wheels on him. His hands are great as is his passing but his shot could use work, but I think he'll carve out a similar role to his dad by parking his big frame in front of the net and grinding out those dirty areas and set players up with a nifty pass.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
If we get into the Top 10 I would like to trade that pick and the Winnipeg pick to move up to select Tkachuk. His brother is already at a 55 ppg pace over his career and is on pace for 63 points this year at 20 years old. Brady plays just like his brother but has the frame of his dad. His skating is excellent for his size, he uses his edges very well. He's not super fast but it's not like he doesn't have a set of wheels on him. His hands are great as is his passing but his shot could use work, but I think he'll carve out a similar role to his dad by parking his big frame in front of the net and grinding out those dirty areas and set players up with a nifty pass.
Well considering that we'd need to win a lottery pick to get in the top 10, should we have a top 10 pick we can stand pat and may even pick up Svechnikov or Dahlin rather than Tkachuk.

We're not falling into the bottom 10. We've made up too much ground.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->