GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
In bizzaro world, Craig must think that because Mittelsadt and Tkachuk have put up similiar NCAA stats that they are somehow thought of as equals?

Casey Mittelstadt
2017-18U. of MinnesotaBig-1034111930104
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Brady Tkuchuk
017-18Boston UniversityH-East38821296114
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mittelstadt's stats are good, just expect them to be higher. The U. of Minnesota used to be the gold standard for player development from the NCAA, not so much in recent years.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Probably been brought up lots before and I know Craig can have some random rankings but what's with the Tkachuk hype? How's a winger with 8 goals your 2nd ranked player?
Button's rankings are usually solid for the most part but he does tend to fall in love with a couple questionable prospects every year (Brown in 2016, Poehling in 2017). This year he seems to have fallen in love with Tkachuk and Hayton for whatever reason.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
With gradin being so dialed in with Swedish players .. you wonder how high we have boqvist. His size and defensive problems scare me. Could be a good future partner for juolevi though.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
If Canucks shy away from Boqvist and Hughes because of their size and defensive play, than I'd rather them get Dobson instead of Bouchard

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think this is going to be a draft that, unless we're 1st overall, there will be a ton of second guessing of the pick and it's going to be pretty nerve wracking watching the pick develop relative to their peers.

This isn't a draft we can afford to not get the absolute best player available to us.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I think this is going to be a draft that, unless we're 1st overall, there will be a ton of second guessing of the pick and it's going to be pretty nerve wracking watching the pick develop relative to their peers.

This isn't a draft we can afford to not get the absolute best player available to us.

We have to take a forward at 2-3 imo. 4-6 I'm fine with d .. passing on tkachuk will cause panic again though

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Agreed, but only to an extent. If the draft were today, I'd say Svechnikov is the slam dunk consensus second overall, and Zadina the third. After that, it's a bit of a crapshoot (but we're also only in March still).

If we took Svechnikov at 2 and he turned out to be the next Michael Dal Colle, that would be totally forgivable based on information currently available, although super unfortunate. If we take B. Tkachuk there, that's a Virtanen over Nylander situation in the making. Taking the wrong defenseman after #3 should get the same criticism that the Juolevi pick would have gotten (how does a master scout not pick Sergachev) if M. Tkachuk hadn't been on the board.

Reactions: Index

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Agreed, but only to an extent. If the draft were today, I'd say Svechnikov is the slam dunk consensus second overall, and Zadina the third. After that, it's a bit of a crapshoot (but we're also only in March still).

If we took Svechnikov at 2 and he turned out to be the next Michael Dal Colle, that would be totally forgivable based on information currently available, although super unfortunate. If we take B. Tkachuk there, that's a Virtanen over Nylander situation in the making. Taking the wrong defenseman after #3 should get the same criticism that the Juolevi pick would have gotten (how does a master scout not pick Sergachev) if M. Tkachuk hadn't been on the board.

I agree that 2/3 should be a forward, but I feel like management has already tipped their hands and they will take a D no matter where they end up.

4 is where things get tricky and you have to pick the best of the several D prospects available.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I have veleno at 6, he will be gone around 10-15 range for sure.

I think pronman tweeted since his trade his points per game are similar to zadina.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I agree that 2/3 should be a forward, but I feel like management has already tipped their hands and they will take a D no matter where they end up.

4 is where things get tricky and you have to pick the best of the several D prospects available.

Really?? I've heard at the Canucks are really high on Zadina, and will take him at number 2 if given the chance.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
If Veleno goes past 10 he's a steal.

Jake Wise is who I really hope falls to us in the 2nd, but he's probably going to be a late climber like Lias Andersson last year

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I understand your point as well but having seen those players they just don't. Hughes are Boqvist are superior stick checkers, have superior balance (esp Hughes) in physical confrontations and better at taking the puck away and transitioning. If they weren't good defensively as smaller Dmen they wouldn't be so highly rated anyway no matter how talented offensively they are, as many past examples have shown.

Smith and Dobson both cough up the puck too much under heavy forecheck. They can lose coverage in zone defense. They also aren't aggressive enough defensively. Not saying they are bad overall but they need work like everyone. Wilde is aggressive but makes bad reads. Of course it's nice to have more size and strength and Wilde certainly has that, among other qualities.

You're saying two things here:

1. That Hughes and Boqvist are good defensively as smaller dmen.

2. That Hughes and Boqvist have shown to be better defensively when compared to Dobson and Smith.

#1 can be debated, and #2 is incorrect. The primary reason that Dobson and Smith even get rated in the same class as Hughes and Boqvist is that disparity in defensive ability. Hughes and Boqvist are more skilled offensively. If they were more more competent defensively too, then it would a no contest. But it very much is a contest. The reason for that is the Dzone play of Smith and Dobson.

- Superior balance in physical confrontations -> Yet both Boqvist and Hughes are recognized to have defensive issues in many write ups and in league play.

- Superior stick checkers -> While having shorter length sticks and while being weaker than the alternative dmen. Ok? I disagree, but I won't argue it too ardently.

- Better at taking the puck away -> This I disagree with flat out. If Boqvist or Hughes do not use their intelligence to leverage their position in battles, they don't take the puck away. They are overly reliant on stick checking and reads to be effective in the Dzone. Smith and Dobson can read, position, body, stick check and skate in the Dzone. They are not limited in the way Boqvist and Hughes are.

Doc, your read on Hughes and Boqvist makes them the runaway favourites after Dahlin and maybe Svechnikov. This is not how the draft is being interpreted. It could shake out that way, but it's definitely not a widespread opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Burton

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Yeah, although IMO it really seems like Hughes has started to separate himself. Plus; it's still March. Makar/Heiskanen had not really separated themselves from the pack at this time last year either. My guess is that 6th will end up as the tricky spot, but hopefully we can avoid that with a last overall finish/lottery win.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
In bizzaro world, Craig must think that because Mittelsadt and Tkachuk have put up similiar NCAA stats that they are somehow thought of as equals?

Casey Mittelstadt
2017-18U. of MinnesotaBig-1034111930104
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Brady Tkuchuk
017-18Boston UniversityH-East38821296114
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Mittelstadt's stats are good, just expect them to be higher. The U. of Minnesota used to be the gold standard for player development from the NCAA, not so much in recent years.

Middlestadt's numbers are terrible. Hes a late 98 birthday which means his "grad year" was in 2016, which means he should have been in college in the fall of 2016. He spent another year to stay in highschool. 99 Born individuals such as Norris should be in their freshman season, Poehling fast tracked and is in his 2nd NCAA season while being a year younger than Middlestadt. His numbers should be a lot better because hes turning 20 this year...

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

Nice Button...you have identified the top 10 players but I have a few concerns...Tkachuk...Really? No Veleno?

I released my top 10 to all of you a month ago and it was...
1 Dahlin
2 Zadina
3 Svechnikov
4 Boqvist
5 Bouchard
6 Tkachuk
7 Whalstrom
8 Dobson
9 Hayton
10 Veleno

I am not worried at all that this franchise will draft Tkachuk...they want nothing to do with his genetic edge and will pass again...something I have no problem with.

Boqvist is exactly what this franchise needs but ohhhh boy is he a swing for the fences.

Get Zadina, Svechnikov, Bouchard or Whalstrom (in that order) and I won't have a problem.

This is a very good draft peeps and it would take a total idiot to f*** it up

:skeptic:

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Craig's List: Bouchard rocketing up draft board - Article - TSN

Hughes ranked #12 by Craig Button.

Looks like he shares the same sentiments

Craig pumped Bourchard's tires pretty hard today on 1040. Compared him to Larry Murphy. Pretty much sold me... for the time being.

Guy checks all our needs, most especially the big shot along with elite passing ability to counter adjustments made by PKers. Assuming no flaws in skating mechanics, I'll settle.

Boeser-Horvat-Pettersson
Bouchard-OJ

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I wouldnt just listen to craig, his cody glass comparison to ryan johansen had the city buzzing on him (and glass will be a good 2nd line potential center imo) over pettersson, vilardi and mittlestadt. A friend of mine who does not follow prospects really said to me the other day he was on the glass hype train because he heard people in the media say he was the best. People like craig who really fall in love with certain players can be dangerous on the radio.

For what its worth though, bouchard is my clear number 3 behind hughes, and boqvist. Cant see the hype over dobson, smith and others. And I do like bouchard. Where we are likely picking though I think we should be able to grab a zadina,hughes ect....

On a completely different note, I am having a tough time ranking tkachuk, i have a grouping around 9-13 of Grigori Denisenko, Kupari, Kotkaniemi, Farabee, players whose skill i really like (they dont all have the production) and I dont know if i should put him before or after that grouping, he is safer then most of them imo (with exception of kotkaniemi who is putting up some good numbers in liiga at 17).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad