GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I second this (+1).

I hope Benning ignores "The Russian factor" in this instance and simply takes Svechnikov if we land the 2nd overall (Dahlin goes first obviously).

Canucks win big if they walk away from this draft with one of the two aforementioned.

I'll be mildly happy with Tkachuk and Zadina. Out of those two, I'd take BT because BT has some two-way grit to his game and can also play Center if need be.

I know some people on here are high on Zadina and Boqvist, but they're kind of 'meh' for me. I think Zadina will be a good 2nd line player at best. Boqvist does have terrific upside but his defensive game is a red flag for me.

..................and here's the part where I get flamed! :)D :D :D).

If the Canucks don't land in the Top 3 for the draft and miss out on Dahlin/Svech/Tkachuk, I would consider the following:

To Buffalo: 4th overall + ???
To Vancouver: Rasmus Ristolainen

To Toronto: Chris Tanev
To Vancouver: Timothy Liljegren.

that’s a horrible trade for ristolainen. i wouldn’t give up either half

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I was reading somewhere that Svechnikov has the 4th best goals/gm for a 17 yr old in the OHL since the year 2000. Guys ahead of him are in order: Tavares, Stamkos, Mcdavid.

That's almost impossible to pass on at #2 imo. I'd go as far as to say there's 2 legit #1 guys in this draft. Not that i'd take him over Dahlin (obviously).

Yeah. Guessing Svech would've been the slam dunk #1 last year, but he's still not really in the conversation with Dahlin.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Whaddya mean? Havent heard that

Canucks Army had an article titled "Andrei Svechnikov, and the Pivotal importance of precise age" basically saying that when Buffalo drafted Mikhail Grigorenko that there were rumours circulating at the time of the draft that he was 20 and not 17/18. One NHL GM even said "that kids 20" when interviewed about him. When further investigation was done Russia just said "its fine he's 17". But grigorenko struggled mightily as we all know and is now KHL fodder.

The model Canucks army uses to find the likelihood of a prospect making the NHL and expected Pts/82, pGPS shows that if you took Grigorenko WAS 17 then he truly fell from grace and was a very surprising bust. However if he was 20, his career would have gone almost exactly the way the pGPS model predicted it would.

Apparently Svechnikov has a similar rumour about his age curculating and the Canucks Army article has since been removed.

Think of that what you will.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I guess he finally took notice of Kotkaniemi, even though he's been playing great all year... :huh: moved from 26 to 10, where he belongs!

Dropped Merkley from 12 to 26. Olofsson from 13 to 21. Boqvist from 2 to 6.

So, what would this board think if we end up taking a London Knights defenceman (Bouchard) over Tkachuk?
Not the same situation. This Tkachuk is not as good.

Reactions: Jack Burton

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I have a feeling about Bouchard being a top pairing pp d man.

Surprising me.

I thought he was decent last year. Nothing to impressive, now his stats just blew up. I wouldn't have expected it from him tbh.

It is like the opposite Bean who i thought was just insane in his 16-17 year. But didnt progress as much, whereas Bouchard just blew up kind of out of nowhere.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Probably been brought up lots before and I know Craig can have some random rankings but what's with the Tkachuk hype? How's a winger with 8 goals your 2nd ranked player?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Probably been brought up lots before and I know Craig can have some random rankings but what's with the Tkachuk hype? How's a winger with 8 goals your 2nd ranked player?

Heavily weighing playing against 20-24 year olds instead of 16-20 year olds I guess?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Canucks Army had an article titled "Andrei Svechnikov, and the Pivotal importance of precise age" basically saying that when Buffalo drafted Mikhail Grigorenko that there were rumours circulating at the time of the draft that he was 20 and not 17/18. One NHL GM even said "that kids 20" when interviewed about him. When further investigation was done Russia just said "its fine he's 17". But grigorenko struggled mightily as we all know and is now KHL fodder.

The model Canucks army uses to find the likelihood of a prospect making the NHL and expected Pts/82, pGPS shows that if you took Grigorenko WAS 17 then he truly fell from grace and was a very surprising bust. However if he was 20, his career would have gone almost exactly the way the pGPS model predicted it would.

Apparently Svechnikov has a similar rumour about his age curculating and the Canucks Army article has since been removed.

Think of that what you will.

Please do not propagate these xenophobic, prejudicial, and asinine ideas about Russian players. It is the most absurd and foolish thing. The treatment of Russians by North American hockey fans or commentators can be truly disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad