GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I don't know why people think Smith and Dobson are great defensively. They're not any more so that the other top prospects. Sometimes guys get that label because they're not dynamic or don't gamble as much. That doesn't make them great at actually defending. They are more flawed in their defensive play than Hughes or Boqvist IMO.

Another take: Bouchard has more puck skills than he gets credit for, he's more than just a great shot.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
They are more flawed in their defensive play than Hughes or Boqvist IMO.

Bwahahahahahahaha!

You obviously haven't watched any of these players before.

Boqvist is by far the worst defender ranked in the top 10 and Hughes is not that far behind. Boqvist is a better prospect than Hughes because he can actually put the puck in the net where Hughes can't...never has and never will with that inaccurate pea shooter of a shot.

Smith, Dobson and Wilde are probably the best defensive prospects behind Dahlin.

Reactions: Bovinder Horvatji

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Drafting a Dman is usually not the sexy pick (unless it's a clear cut BPA like Dahlin), but it's hard to argue that D isn't the bigger need. With that said, you draft the BPA or trade down to select for need.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't know why people think Smith and Dobson are great defensively. They're not any more so that the other top prospects. Sometimes guys get that label because they're not dynamic or don't gamble as much. That doesn't make them great at actually defending. They are more flawed in their defensive play than Hughes or Boqvist IMO.

Uuhhh, no. They are not more flawed in their defensive play than Hughes or Boqvist. The rationale that because they don't take as many chances, and are not as dynamic overall, somehow is an indictment on their actual play in the defensive zone is illogical. Smith and Dobson are better in their own zone.

I understand what you're saying. Sometimes a more aggressive, gambler type of Dman gets known as being risky defensively because of that nature. His mistakes are more apparent, even though he may push play forward more than a defensive Dman. This is not that. It's OK to recognize that Dobson and Smith make better reads, eliminations and stick checks in their own zone.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Uuhhh, no. They are not more flawed in their defensive play than Hughes or Boqvist. The rationale that because they don't take as many chances, and are not as dynamic overall, somehow is an indictment on their actual play in the defensive zone is illogical. Smith and Dobson are better in their own zone.

I understand what you're saying. Sometimes a more aggressive, gambler type of Dman gets known as being risky defensively because of that nature. His mistakes are more apparent, even though he may push play forward more than a defensive Dman. This is not that. It's OK to recognize that Dobson and Smith make better reads, eliminations and stick checks in their own zone.

I understand your point as well but having seen those players they just don't. Hughes are Boqvist are superior stick checkers, have superior balance (esp Hughes) in physical confrontations and better at taking the puck away and transitioning. If they weren't good defensively as smaller Dmen they wouldn't be so highly rated anyway no matter how talented offensively they are, as many past examples have shown.

Smith and Dobson both cough up the puck too much under heavy forecheck. They can lose coverage in zone defense. They also aren't aggressive enough defensively. Not saying they are bad overall but they need work like everyone. Wilde is aggressive but makes bad reads. Of course it's nice to have more size and strength and Wilde certainly has that, among other qualities.

Last edited:

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Besides dahlin.. svechnikov excites me the most. He's goals per game rate is ridiculous. Comparisons to Hossa due to his goof game away from the puck. He's 6"3 180.. he could turn in to an absolute beast

Reactions: Bovinder Horvatji

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Wilde is the guy I like ... bomb of a shot with good size
Yeah im kinda torn i think him and Keptoniemi and Farabee are not underrated but potential gems in the top 10 who wont go top 5 like Nylander or Keller who in hinesight really should HAVE

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Besides dahlin.. svechnikov excites me the most. He's goals per game rate is ridiculous. Comparisons to Hossa due to his goof game away from the puck. He's 6"3 180.. he could turn in to an absolute beast

I second this (+1).

I hope Benning ignores "The Russian factor" in this instance and simply takes Svechnikov if we land the 2nd overall (Dahlin goes first obviously).

Canucks win big if they walk away from this draft with one of the two aforementioned.

I'll be mildly happy with Tkachuk and Zadina. Out of those two, I'd take BT because BT has some two-way grit to his game and can also play Center if need be.

I know some people on here are high on Zadina and Boqvist, but they're kind of 'meh' for me. I think Zadina will be a good 2nd line player at best. Boqvist does have terrific upside but his defensive game is a red flag for me.

..................and here's the part where I get flamed! :)D :D :D).

If the Canucks don't land in the Top 3 for the draft and miss out on Dahlin/Svech/Tkachuk, I would consider the following:

To Buffalo: 4th overall + ???
To Vancouver: Rasmus Ristolainen

To Toronto: Chris Tanev
To Vancouver: Timothy Liljegren.

Last edited:

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I was reading somewhere that Svechnikov has the 4th best goals/gm for a 17 yr old in the OHL since the year 2000. Guys ahead of him are in order: Tavares, Stamkos, Mcdavid.

That's almost impossible to pass on at #2 imo. I'd go as far as to say there's 2 legit #1 guys in this draft. Not that i'd take him over Dahlin (obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad