GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Point A
Did i say effort levels dont change ? All teams effort levels change game to game. To say they are not trying to win is way differnt. The "try" might have more todo with the other teams "try" .

Point B
Guess what when two guys like the Sedins say this is it boys we are done, its not uncommon for a team to play way above there talent level

Weird post. Point B is exactly what I just said, and directly contradicts Point A. I’m not sure what you are even arguing here. Did the Canucks effort increase at the end of the season or not? I said that is likely the case, then you disagree and write that the team’s effort likely improved after the Sedins announced their retirement.

Reactions: Jack Burton

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Weird post. Point B is exactly what I just said, and directly contradicts Point A. I’m not sure what you are even arguing here. Did the Canucks effort increase at the end of the season or not? I said that is likely the case, then you disagree and write that the team’s effort likely improved after the Sedins announced their retirement.

Point A has todo with effort, point B is more about emotion.

Emotion can carry a team to play better then skill and effort.

Look im well aware i dont get my whole thoughts out well typing.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
No kidding. How dare a group of players that are playing for pride, NHL roster spots and contracts try to win games. They should all sacrifice their own potential jobs so we can have a slightly better chance at drafting an 18 year old to help save the franchise. Players these days I tell ya. What a bunch of losers.

We've been "trying" to win every year. Thats irrelevant. Point is we aren't good enough to win games. They happened to win the meaningless ones. Its like you fail the midterm and final in your class but you did the last homework assignment to finish with a D instead of an F and the teacher won't let you re take the course because you didn't fail.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The last ten games really pissed me off for two reasons. One, all we had to look forward to after this crap season was a solid shot at one of the plug and play stars of the draft and then nope! Can't even have that. Two, when you see what players like Sutter can do when they're really motivated and giving their all you realize just how often they've been doing that. Where the hell was all that when the season was still salvageable? Where was all that effort and compete and "winning culture" when the playoffs were still in reach? Nowhere in bloody sight, that's where.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Dobson has been impressive in these Memorial Cup Games, but the Canucks track record of drafting impact d-men from the Q is underwhelming at best. And if the Canucks do pick him, there's no way he'd be a 'plug in and play' g-man at the NHL level. Just about everybody agrees he's going to need some time.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Dobson has been impressive in these Memorial Cup Games, but the Canucks track record of drafting impact d-men from the Q is underwhelming at best. And if the Canucks do pick him, there's no way he'd be a 'plug in and play' g-man at the NHL level. Just about everybody agrees he's going to need some time.

The one true damn died of a freak accident, Rest In Peace luc bourdon. I am convinced he was a stud d man that could’ve been that defence they were looking for.

I chose dobson only because I think boqvist is gone by 7

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The one true damn died of a freak accident, Rest In Peace luc bourdon. I am convinced he was a stud d man that could’ve been that defence they were looking for.

I chose dobson only because I think boqvist is gone by 7

He was tracking to be a Jovo-lite (Maybe even a Jovo-like).

I'll always remember when I read that news on a news paper of all places back then...

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
consensus says we will have a chance to draft either Dobson, Wahlstrom, or Boqvist.

I actually wouldn't mind Wahlstrom, we would have a killer forward group in two years. Canucks would just need to go heavy on signing defenceman next year.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Book it. Dobson will be gone before 7.

I believe Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina, Hughes and Dobson will be the top 6. We are drafting from a group of Bouchard, Boqvist and Wahlstrom. I think you’d have to go with Wahlstrom then

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
On vacation in the Dominican .. how has Dobson looked in the mem cup?

Overall very good imo. Has had some rough moments (1st vs Hamilton, 3rd vs Regina) but overall plays a ton, neutralizes a lot of the opponent’s rushes and possessions quite quickly with his stick and body. Skating is off the charts good for someone who is 6’3, and his offensive instincts and reads are very good. More opportunistic than dynamic but I think that works best at the NHL level where playing like PK Subban can hurt as much as it helps.

On the flip side, he still feels quite raw. His shot is heavy but he’s a bit sloppy with it at times (shooting right at shot blocker) and his hands and puckhandling is not overly impressive. You have to look forward to what he can develop into 2-3 years down the road to really appreciate his true potential but all the pieces sure seem to be there.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Book it. Dobson will be gone before 7.

I believe Dahlin, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Zadina, Hughes and Dobson will be the top 6. We are drafting from a group of Bouchard, Boqvist and Wahlstrom. I think you’d have to go with Wahlstrom then

If Dobson is gone they pick Boqvist, IMO. Those are the two choices for Benning. I doubt he takes a winger, nor do I think he takes Kotkaniemi, even though he’s a C.

Boqvist shoots well enough, skates and attacks offensively. Defense is suspect and his production lags behind his comparables, but it’s the Makar situation all over again. They will target skill set and position above everything else.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If Dobson is gone they pick Boqvist, IMO. Those are the two choices for Benning. I doubt he takes a winger, nor do I think he takes Kotkaniemi, even though he’s a C.

Boqvist shoots well enough, skates and attacks offensively. Defense is suspect and his production lags behind his comparables, but it’s the Makar situation all over again. They will target skill set and position above everything else.

I am not sure how I feel about that, I have Boqvist at the 3rd best talent in this draft, but am super concerned about Concussions. Not just with future injuries, but I find sometimes it can change a bit how you play.

I do think most of the option available to us I would be ok with... I just also have the guys I prefer.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Boqvist didn't produce this year and he has a pretty substantial injury history.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
I’d take anything Benning says regarding the draft with a grain of salt. A lot of that is just posturing and trying to make not only us, but other GMs, read between the lines. Might open doors for trades to move up or down if people think that Benning is going to take their guy.

Is he that smart? That’s another topic for a 300+ page debate, but I wouldn’t bother reading into that interview.

He’s not smart enough to try and trick the other GMs. I believe HE believes everything he says, and he does not have the capacity for obfuscation. I don’t believe everything he says because he keeps talking about how his woeful team is going to compete.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yet he’s still ranked high by most ranking
The talents us there, they do t just disappear all of a sudden

Oh yeah he is ranked. Its just that his bust potential is much higher.
I feel like we can't risk it, we need an NHL player with that 7th overall.

Crazy, I read the news on the newspaper as well. So sad

Maybe I should explain what I mean;

At the time there was VERY little if anything written of the NHL in the local paper here in Finland.
I picked up the paper and started to read a random article about some sports tragedy and it slowly dawned on me who they were talking about... :puppy:

Reactions: lindgren

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Hopefully you're enjoying your vacation. How is the internet access there? Last time I was there was in 2006 and it was expensive and spotty at best. I imagine they must have 4G/LTE by now?

Great vacation! Staying in punta Cana. Internet is provided by the resort. It's pretty good. Not Canada level but enough to easily surf the web and do anything you could do at home just with an extra few seconds delay. I only roamed one day and it was fine. 3G

Reactions: dim jim

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Less than a month way!!! Time to start getting excited about the draft.

Assuming Dahlin, Zadina, Svechnikov are gone this is how I see it:

Ecstatic with either Hughes or Wahlstrom
Satisfied with Dobson or Bouchard
Disappointed if Tkachuk
Downright ticked if it is Boqvist

Disclaimer: My opinion is based on watching a few games, highlight videos and listening to you guys...it shouldn't be accepted as a detailed analysis... :)

Reactions: lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad