GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Ty Smith, who already won WHL player of the year, is up for CHL player of the year (along with Hayton) and the Top Prospect Award (along with Svechnikov and Zadina).

Svechnikov is also up for CHL Rookie of the Year.

Dobson and Bouchard aren't up for anything.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
After seeing that new arguement, I am pretty much convinced now that the Ducks won the trade that send Pronger to Philly. I mean after all Pronger was a cap dump trade by the Flyers in 2015.

Anaheim Ducks acquireDatePhiladelphia Flyers acquire
Anaheim_Ducks.gif
Joffrey Lupul
Luca Sbisa
2009 1st round pick (#21-John Moore)
2010 1st round pick (#29-Emerson Etem)
2010 or 2011 conditional 3rd round pick (if Flyers win 2010 Stanley Cup)
Ducks option on year (not exercised)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 26, 2009
Ryan Dingle
Chris Pronger
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Arizona Coyotes acquireDatePhiladelphia Flyers acquire
Arizona_Coyotes.gif
Nicklas Grossmann
Chris Pronger
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
Sam Gagner
2016 conditional 4th round pick or 2017 3rd round pick
Philadelphia_Flyers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
What? Benning actually got decent value considering the circumstances. Kesler is a cap dump now and on an awful contract

That has absolutely nothing to do with Kesler's value at the time. The Ducks got 2 excellent regular seasons and playoffs of Kesler at a bargain $5MM a season. That alone was worth a 1st + top prospect + more. Arguably the best elite two-way centre available on the market, and Ducks wanted the 1-2 punch with Getzlaf—we should have come out with a top prospect and 1st at bare minimum.

He targeted lower upside 'win now' pieces like Sbisa and Bonino instead of going hard after young prospects with higher upside like Rakell and Theodore. Bonino was a good player to get back given his 3 years at 1.9MM, had we utilized him fully. Instead, we traded him for a less effective player AND threw in the better pick (as we all know we then extended Sutter at 4.375M before he even played a single game for us).

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Its still mindblowing to me that we were like bottom 3 all season and at one point 2 points out of last that we own the 7th pick. What a disaster season .

While it would have been great to have been able to draft Dahlin, Svechnikov or even Zadina. Picks 4-10 seem to be pretty much a wash.

Nearly every guy comes with an exclamation mark and a question mark... that said, I’m still on the Dobson bandwagon.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That has absolutely nothing to do with Kesler's value at the time. The Ducks got 2 excellent regular seasons and playoffs of Kesler at a bargain $5MM a season. That alone was worth a 1st + top prospect + more. Arguably the best elite two-way centre available on the market, and Ducks wanted the 1-2 punch with Getzlaf—we should have come out with a top prospect and 1st at bare minimum.

He targeted lower upside 'win now' pieces like Sbisa and Bonino instead of going hard after young prospects with higher upside like Rakell and Theodore. Bonino was a good player to get back given his 3 years at 1.9MM, had we utilized him fully. Instead, we traded him for a less effective player AND threw in the better pick (as we all know we then extended Sutter at 4.375M before he even played a single game for us).
Not to keep going round and round on the trade but Rackell i'm pretty sure Tony Gallagher said at the time was a non starter.
Theodore absolutely they should have held steadfast for even if it meant trading them Bieksa.

The compete with the Sedins era was so friggen stupid....you could have ran a pole of fans of this team (and i mean ones that had been around for 10yrs or so) and probably 98% would have said rebuild it already.

Aquilini Linden Benning were out to lunch on that decision.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Its still mindblowing to me that we were like bottom 3 all season and at one point 2 points out of last that we own the 7th pick. What a disaster season .

No kidding. How dare a group of players that are playing for pride, NHL roster spots and contracts try to win games. They should all sacrifice their own potential jobs so we can have a slightly better chance at drafting an 18 year old to help save the franchise. Players these days I tell ya. What a bunch of losers.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
No kidding. How dare a group of players that are playing for pride, NHL roster spots and contracts try to win games. They should all sacrifice their own potential jobs so we can have a slightly better chance at drafting an 18 year old to help save the franchise. Players these days I tell ya. What a bunch of losers.

Or look at it in the reverse. Where was that pride in Games 1 to 74? You know, back when it would have actually been helpful.

Reactions: Jack Burton

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Or look at it in the reverse. Where was that pride in Games 1 to 74? You know, back when it would have actually been helpful.

You dont think they where trying from game 1 to 74 ? I have never meet anyone playing competitive sports who wasnt trying to win every game.

Reactions: Nomobo

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You dont think they where trying from game 1 to 74 ? I have never meet anyone playing competitive sports who wasnt trying to win every game.

So what changed from games 1 to 74 and games 75+? Esp considering that most of our talent was injured or traded away by game 75.

Thoughts?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Hmm, does this means he’s their first choice?

No, it probably means Jimbo is lobbying for somebody ahead of them in the draft to take Hughes, so the player the Canucks really covet falls to them at #7. Then again....

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

Hmm, does this means he’s their first choice?

GM's tend to give glowing reports about whichever player they're asked about. You'd probably want to listen to the actual audio clip and see how enthusiastic he sounds. I'd wait to see who Dhaliwal and other local guys report the Canucks talk to before/at the combine and then invite for secondary talks in Vancouver.

Last year they made the Pettersson pick pretty obvious by flying him out to Vancouver a month before the draft for secondary interviews along with him meeting the Sedins. Everyone pretty quickly concluded a small list of guys they wanted when guys like Vilardi weren't invited to Vancouver.

Reactions: Ryp37

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
D-men are so hard to predict in the draft.....and this draft is top-heavy with them. After you get past the top three of Dahlin, Svechnikof and Zadina , d-men like Hughes, Bouchard and Dobson could go just about anywhere, depending on the whim of scouting staffs. And then there's Tkachuk who could go anywhere from fourth to 12th. It's pretty wide open from 4-10 imo.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
So what changed from games 1 to 74 and games 75+? Esp considering that most of our talent was injured or traded away by game 75.

Thoughts?

Nothing changed this is how it works when you have a bad team. They are still trying to win. Just because you are bad doesnt mean you cant go on a hot streak. Have you ever played a sport ? Losing f***ing sucks, no one is out there not trying to win. If they are they flopped out of sports before 15

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
also have to consider that at the tail end of the season, teams that are in good positions won't give most of their effort against bottom feeding teams.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Nothing changed this is how it works when you have a bad team. They are still trying to win. Just because you are bad doesnt mean you cant go on a hot streak. Have you ever played a sport ? Losing ****ing sucks, no one is out there not trying to win. If they are they flopped out of sports before 15

I think you’re the one who hasn’t played sports if you think efforts don’t fluctuate from game to game. Everyone “tries” but the degree of try is not identical every time.

The “try” appeared to be a lot higher in the final 7-8 games, possibly as a result of the Sedins making their intentions to retire known to the team. Considering how much of our meagre talent was out or traded by game 75 AND how good our record was there is no doubt the effort level was significantly better than it had been most of the season up to that point. No Boeser, no Tanev, no Baertschi, no Vanek and yet they more than double their winning percentage in those games. Something needs to account for such a massive swing.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
I think you’re the one who hasn’t played sports if you think efforts don’t fluctuate from game to game. Everyone “tries” but the degree of try is not identical every time.

The “try” appeared to be a lot higher in the final 7-8 games, possibly as a result of the Sedins making their intentions to retire known to the team. Considering how much of our meagre talent was out or traded by game 75 AND how good our record was there is no doubt the effort level was significantly better than it had been most of the season up to that point. No Boeser, no Tanev, no Baertschi, no Vanek and yet they more than double their winning percentage in those games. Something needs to account for such a massive swing.

Did i say effort levels dont change ? All teams effort levels change game to game. To say they are not trying to win is way differnt. The "try" might have more todo with the other teams "try" .

Guess what when two guys like the Sedins say this is it boys we are done, its not uncommon for a team to play way above there talent level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->