GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I strongly think that if Noah Dobson is there at #7 he will be a Vancouver Canuck

I get that feeling too though not sure why exactly. Probably the balance of high upside (though not as high offensively as Boqvist, Wahlstrom) and low downside (he seems almost a lock to at least be a serviceable NHLer). Boqvist is more “swing for the fences” while Wahlstrom has that feel of not clearly BPA or positional need.

Which leaves Dobson as the most likely candidate, if he’s there and no surprising fallers (i.e. Zadina).

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think Canucks pick Boqvist, have the same feeling when they picked Pettersson. Benning has made it clear his #1 need is a RH PP QB.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think Canucks pick Boqvist, have the same feeling when they picked Pettersson. Benning has made it clear his #1 need is a RH PP QB.

It’s definitely possible, I do think he checks the biggest “need” box. It’ll come down to how they view his overall quality vs someone like Dobson and whether the need > quality difference. Dobson certainly is closer to Juolevi in terms of style and role so that could knock him down a shade, but I’m not sure it would be much.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

So he thinks they should go BPA, but centers and defensemen retain their value longer and if it comes down to a winger vs Defenseman/Center they'll go positionally. :huh:

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Any thoughts on Alex Steeves, Jan Jenik or Jonny Tychonick?
Tychonick: I thought he has a pretty solid tournament, didn’t have many mistakes, made smart plays consistently, and was actually a bright spot on their putrid PP. Canada would hold on to the puck on the perimeter for far too long. Tychonick got the pucks on net quickly and offensive chances were had. But I really would not categorize him as a highly offensive defender, he seems more like a two way defender. Some describe him as an elite skater, I don’t think so. He’s a strong skater, but not elite. He’s not elite in any area. He is good to very good in every area. Wouldn’t mind him at 37, but guys like Miller/Alexeyev seem to offer a touch more potential.

Jenik: plays a very consistent and smart game, sort of reminds me of Kaut Jr. He is very young, looks very young/slight on the ice. Definitely was one of the CZE best players. His birthdate is very intriguing, could be a sleeper for that reason alone. Would be a good forward target for 68.

Not much on Steeves.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning with in an interesting take on the upcoming draft being interviewed on TSN 1040....thinks that some teams drafting ahead of them may go for 'positional need' rather than the BPA.....believes that somebody they've got ranked higher will 'fall' to them at 7th overall. The trick is trying to figure out who that might be. My guess is that it might be somebody like Quinn Hughes, but we'll find out a month from today.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006

So he thinks they should go BPA, but centers and defensemen retain their value longer and if it comes down to a winger vs Defenseman/Center they'll go positionally. :huh:

So... best player available... except if he has a choice between a winger, defenseman and a centerman, he will choose by positional need. Ok. Makes sense.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
I’d take anything Benning says regarding the draft with a grain of salt. A lot of that is just posturing and trying to make not only us, but other GMs, read between the lines. Might open doors for trades to move up or down if people think that Benning is going to take their guy.

Is he that smart? That’s another topic for a 300+ page debate, but I wouldn’t bother reading into that interview.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Benning with in an interesting take on the upcoming draft being interviewed on TSN 1040....thinks that some teams drafting ahead of them may go for 'positional need' rather than the BPA.....believes that somebody they've got ranked higher will 'fall' to them at 7th overall. The trick is trying to figure out who that might be. My guess is that it might be somebody like Quinn Hughes, but we'll find out a month from today.
Like Kotkaniemi and Tkachuk both going before #7..?

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Could see a surprise pick like Kotkanimei, he IMO is the best centre in this draft and has 1C upside.

Just like Pettersson he can pass, shoot, and think the game all at a high level. Comes with the ideal size for a centre and very young for the draft as well.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I get that feeling too though not sure why exactly. Probably the balance of high upside (though not as high offensively as Boqvist, Wahlstrom) and low downside (he seems almost a lock to at least be a serviceable NHLer). Boqvist is more “swing for the fences” while Wahlstrom has that feel of not clearly BPA or positional need.

Which leaves Dobson as the most likely candidate, if he’s there and no surprising fallers (i.e. Zadina).

I agree - I also just don't get the sense of us taking Tkachuk should he fall to us - If I had to bet I would say it's going to be Dobson - of course if Hughes is available that could make things interesting........I'm hoping Hughes is gone though so we don't have to make that decision.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Realistically, I'm also not worried about us taking Tkachuk. Brackett is in charge now and he has a good eye for American prospects. With that said, I would not be surprised if he's taken before us and I fully expect him to be taken in the top 10. Also, it's been made pretty clear for a while now that we're taking a defenseman or center with that pick.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I feel like there is almost no chance we walk out of the first round without a defender. I would be absolutely shocked.

I agree as well - even if Wahlstrom is still there I think it's a D-man........and I think it's going to be hard for people to get upset as there are more than likely 2-3 going to be available that would fit the bill. I suppose if he goes off the board and picks Ty Smith then people can be up in arms but I tend to think that you can make a case for any of the top guys at that spot. Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes - At least 1 or 2 of them will be there.........

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Its still mindblowing to me that we were like bottom 3 all season and at one point 2 points out of last that we own the 7th pick. What a disaster season .

It's crazy how much more leverage/options we'd have if we were even just 2 spots higher.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Huge splash like botching the Kesler trade by targeting the wrong types of assets?

If Kesler misses the entire season (or has to retire early) due to rehab/injuries how long until folks start claiming we won the trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad