2018 draft prospects who will bust/disappoint

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As long as the draft plays out similarly to the top 10 Bob posted in January, then I feel pretty good about that group of guys. Don't reach on a center and I think you will be happy for the most part. Boqvist and Hughes are a risk just because of size, but I think both are extremely talented.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He had a great Hlinka and a lot of people just stuck a top 10 pick label on him no matter how he does

Seems like people don't actually watch him play. Kupari has the same amount of points as Kotkaniemi since he got the 3C spot in the lineup after the WJC's, both have 10 points in 18 games.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Seems like people don't actually watch him play. Kupari has the same amount of points as Kotkaniemi since he got the 3C spot in the lineup after the WJC's, both have 10 points in 18 games.
Kupari also is a possession black hole with 107 PDO aka he's on a hot streak.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As long as the draft plays out similarly to the top 10 Bob posted in January, then I feel pretty good about that group of guys. Don't reach on a center and I think you will be happy for the most part. Boqvist and Hughes are a risk just because of size, but I think both are extremely talented.
I'd add position. Defenders returns at the top tend to be a bit more erratic than comparable forwards.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd add position. Defenders returns at the top tend to be a bit more erratic than comparable forwards.

As a whole, yeah. But I like this group of kids this year better than most. And I think the top 5 will end up being mostly wingers.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
You cant really fault Boqvist for not producent the SHL. I dont see any other highly rated d-men (except Dahlin) producing at a pro level.

It's not just that he doesn't produce, he can't even take a regular shift at two levels of men's hockey. Couldn't crack WM20, not very good defending compared to Hughes, doubt he fills out enough to be a competent SHL defender.

At this point I just want to see his 5v5 production in Top 10 the rest of the way.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Except Bouchard is an offensive juggernaut and Gudbranson finished his draft season with 2 goals in 40 games. Completely different players.

Only comparing the two in terms of skating holding them back from being better.

I don’t think he’ll bust but maybe be more of a Pulock type. Maybe Kulikov is a good comparison.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Only comparing the two in terms of skating holding them back from being better.

I don’t think he’ll bust but maybe be more of a Pulock type. Maybe Kulikov is a good comparison.

Albeit not great, Bouchard's skating is still better than Pulock's and is similar to Kulikov's. However, Bouchard's IQ and decision makings are much superior than the other two though. He's not a puck carrier but rather relies on his vision and moves the puck up ice. Kid's got awesome mitts and possessed wicked wrist shot kinda similar to Boqvist. Tbh, I think Bouchard's game will translate better than Quinn Hughes' due to Bouchard's size and shot.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
It's not just that he doesn't produce, he can't even take a regular shift at two levels of men's hockey. Couldn't crack WM20, not very good defending compared to Hughes, doubt he fills out enough to be a competent SHL defender.

At this point I just want to see his 5v5 production in Top 10 the rest of the way.
How can you possible compare his defense to Hughes’ when they never have played at the same level? (Maybe u18?).
He couldnt crack our WJC team because
1. It was pretty good on defense.
2. He is very young
3. In retrospect he probably should be on the team

How good was Hughes at defending at the WJC? Not very from what I can remember. But hey, put him in the SEL and Im sure he will be just fiiiiiine.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Tkachuk was the runaway leader of this category 2 seasons ago.

If they didn't delete the old threads when they updated the layout, his name came up the most as the player in the top 10 most likely to bust. He won the poll.

It seems his brother is starting to get the same tag around various draft threads.

Should be very interesting

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
How can you possible compare his defense to Hughes’ when they never have played at the same level? (Maybe u18?).
He couldnt crack our WJC team because
1. It was pretty good on defense.
2. He is very young
3. In retrospect he probably should be on the team

How good was Hughes at defending at the WJC? Not very from what I can remember. But hey, put him in the SEL and Im sure he will be just fiiiiiine.

Because Hughes can defend against people who are 5 years older than him, while Boqvist has troubles with it in J20.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I’m not sure about bust but I’m gonna say that 15-20 of the players taken in round 1 won’t live up their draft position and either not make the nhl or be depth pieces. This draft stinks

Brian Fogarty

@hockey_prophets
Apr 29, 2011
hockeyprophets.com
Tkachuk was the runaway leader of this category 2 seasons ago.

If they didn't delete the old threads when they updated the layout, his name came up the most as the player in the top 10 most likely to bust. He won the poll.

It seems his brother is starting to get the same tag around various draft threads.

Should be very interesting

I loved Matthew Tkachuk and thought he was so badly underrated that I wrote a huge defense of him at Hockey Prophets (if you're at all interested, you can read it here). That said, I'm less than thrilled with Brady. I think he's got the snarl, and might be a slightly better skater, but I don't think he has the same hockey iq that Matthew has, and not nearly the same level of skill. He looks a lot more to me like the kind of player who will bang in the corners, get puck possession, help tilt the ice to the offensive side of the rink, but I don't think he has the shot or the passing vision of his older brother.

Reactions: thefeebster

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
One of the smaller defencemen picked in the top 10-12 will bust. You have Hughes, Boqvist, and Smith who are all near 5'10". At least one of them will not be able to adapt their game at the next level.
Smitch would be my pick out of that group

Brian Fogarty

@hockey_prophets
Apr 29, 2011
hockeyprophets.com
He will be a third line player I think but yeah not worthy of a top 10 pick.

Veleno does so much, so well. He has the size, he's a good skater, he can control the puck and maintain possession in the corners and on the half-boards. He's headsy, and can pick out the correct play. The problem is that his offensive creativity is really lacking. To turn a hockey cliche, he has no nose for the net. There are so many times when he has the puck, and his best move is to turn and go to the net, but he'll instead turn outwards and go to the point. He has all of the tools to do so much more, but his instincts are to go safe instead of to go hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->