NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
the 3-5 in this draft is also better than the 3-5 in last years draft.

Boqvist, Tkachuk, Zadina > Heiskanen, Makar, Petersson

in my personal opinion.

Think anyone in the top 5 can come in next year and improve this hockey team. Obviously Dahlin and Svechnikov are the dream.

what he is doing right now in his first year of North American hockey is amazing.

I would have agreed with this at the start of the year, but it's hard to ignore the years that Heiskanen and Petersson are having.

Reactions: Boud

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I would have agreed with this at the start of the year, but it's hard to ignore the years that Heiskanen and Petersson are having.

You can only really compare a year from now to see what Boqvist, Tkachuk, and Zadina are doing compared to what Heiskanen, Pettersson, and Makar are currently doing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If we miss out on a big fish and end up picking 9/10, are we expecting to suck next year as well? Losing a high 2019 pick would be akin to the Leafs with the Kessel trade.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bob's (10 NHL scouts) rankings are out Welcome to the Rasmus Dahlin Draft - Article - TSN

I think is Dahlin followed by everyone else.
2-4 (Zvechnikov, Zedina, Tkachuk) all forwards I am on board with the ranking

Assuming we do not get a top 4 pick... and more specifically if we get #5 who do we take?

Bob's list has
5. Boqvist D
6. Hughes D
7. Evan Bouchard D
8. Noah Dobson D
9. Wahlstrom C/W
10. Ty Smith D

Who do you like out of that group? Anybody else going to move up? Should we trade down?
Who is most worthy of a #5 pick, which is a high pick? Does any body scream take me?

Handles1919

Jul 27, 2016
ottawa
Bob's (10 NHL scouts) rankings are out Welcome to the Rasmus Dahlin Draft - Article - TSN

I think is Dahlin followed by everyone else.
2-4 (Zvechnikov, Zedina, Tkachuk) all forwards I am on board with the ranking

Assuming we do not get a top 4 pick... and more specifically if we get #5 who do we take?

Bob's list has
5. Boqvist D
6. Hughes D
7. Evan Bouchard D
8. Noah Dobson D
9. Wahlstrom C/W
10. Ty Smith D

Who do you like out of that group? Anybody else going to move up? Should we trade down?
Who is most worthy of a #5 pick, which is a high pick? Does any body scream take me?
i doubt theres anyone here who has really even seen any of these guys play much to give a good answer lol, or valuable iformation

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
i doubt theres anyone here who has really even seen any of these guys play much to give a good answer lol, or valuable iformation

There has been opportunity to watch most of them at least a bit.
Boqvist at the Hlinka..
Hughes at the Summer Showcase and the WJC U20 2018
Bouchard , Dobson and Smith all played in the CHL Prospects game
Dobson plays in the Q there are a handful of people who follow that closely
Bouchard plays for the London Knights a few people follow that team
Wahlstrom some would have seen at the U18 last year.. and will be able to watch again this year

There is a lot of information available on all these prospects

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
This top 4 is legit. Definitely need one of Dahlin, B Tkachuk, Zadina and Svechnikov.

Dont expect Svechnikov to be a guy we pick so if we are 4th and hes all that's lwft ill be interested in what the Sens do.

Hopefully we pick in the top 2 though

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dahlin
Zadina
Tkachuk
Svechnikov
Whalstrom
Boqvist
Dobson
Hughes

Top 8 for me currently
So if wee get 5th pick ... your choice would be Wahlstrom?
He is the best ranked forward in that 5-10 range ... I don't think it would be a bad choice. He has committed to Harvard and I have no idea what his aspirations are.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've been high on him all year. Totally flying under the radar. Super skilled, Big frame . I really like him a lot

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bouchard is really good. I think Dobson is more well rounded. He's also a much better skater than Bouchard.
CHL’s Top Prospects Showcase Strengths in Sport Testing Combine – Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game

30M Forward Skate with Puck:
1 – Ty Smith (Spokane Chiefs)
2 – Liam Foudy (London Knights)
3 – Noah Dobson (Acadie-Bathurst Titan)
30M Backward Skate:
1 – Noah Dobson (Acadie-Bathurst Titan)
2 – Evan Bouchard (London Knights)
3 – Xavier Bernard (Drummondville Voltigeurs)
30M Backward Skate with Puck:
1 – Noah Dobson (Acadie-Bathurst Titan)
2 – Ty Smith (Spokane Chiefs)
3 – Liam Foudy (London Knights)

Incidently, Ty Smith .. ranked 10th on Bob's list scored well across these drills as well... unfortunately for him he had a brutal game... I like him as well.

Reaction with Puck:
1 – Liam Foudy (London Knights)
2 – Vladislav Kotkov (Chicoutimi Sagueneens)
3 – Ty Smith (Spokane Chiefs)
Weave Agility:
1 – Andrei Svechnikov (Barrie Colts)
2 – Dmitry Zavgorodniy (Rimouski Oceanic)
3 – Ty Smith (Spokane Chiefs)
Weave Agility with Puck:
1 – Andrei Svechnikov (Barrie Colts)
2 – Allan McShane (Oshawa Generals)
3 – Philipp Kurashev (Quebec Remparts)

Svechnikov Weave Agility stands out...

Reactions: jehkob

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Was extremely impressed with Nikita okhotyuk at the 67s game today. Anyone know anything about this kid? Never mind...he's a 2019 draft eligible. He's gonna be a good one next year.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Adam Boqvist
2018 Prospect Profile: Adam Boqvist

Given the demand for slick PMDs .. Boqvist could very likely be coveted at that 5th spot if he does not go before. Dorion will likely scout him. If the Sens don't see a need for him... They could be able to trade back a spot or two to take Dobson or Bouchard and pick up an extra pick (2nd or 3rd)... I have only watched him at the Hlinka where he was really good, and if he is clearly BPA .. the Sens should take him, but if its a debate .. I would consider the trade back.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This top 4 is legit. Definitely need one of Dahlin, B Tkachuk, Zadina and Svechnikov.

Dont expect Svechnikov to be a guy we pick so if we are 4th and hes all that's lwft ill be interested in what the Sens do.

Hopefully we pick in the top 2 though
Why wouldn’t we pick svechnikov

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Adam Boqvist
2018 Prospect Profile: Adam Boqvist

Given the demand for slick PMDs .. Boqvist could very likely be coveted at that 5th spot if he does not go before. Dorion will likely scout him. If the Sens don't see a need for him... They could be able to trade back a spot or two to take Dobson or Bouchard and pick up an extra pick (2nd or 3rd)... I have only watched him at the Hlinka where he was really good, and if he is clearly BPA .. the Sens should take him, but if its a debate .. I would consider the trade back.
with the way Dobson/Bouchard have emerged in the draft - I think I'd almost rather have them than Boqvist. Both are more complete players than Boqvist and still have great offensive upside. I hesistate picking Boqvist so high because he has been so 1-dimensional so far in his career. i haven't watched him on american ice (only eu) so i worry on the smaller ice his skating talent won't be as effective vs. better/smarter competition.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
with the way Dobson/Bouchard have emerged in the draft - I think I'd almost rather have them than Boqvist. Both are more complete players than Boqvist and still have great offensive upside. I hesistate picking Boqvist so high because he has been so 1-dimensional so far in his career. i haven't watched him on american ice (only eu) so i worry on the smaller ice his skating talent won't be as effective vs. better/smarter competition.

To be fair you could have said the same thing about Karlsson before he was drafted.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2018 Draft:
This would be my picks if we pick within those ranges.

1. Dahlin - no brainer
2 - 5 - Svechnikov, Tkachuk or Sadina
6 - 10 - Bouchard, Dobson or Wilde

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
To be fair you could have said the same thing about Karlsson before he was drafted.
you know i had this thought when i was rereading my comment that someone would say this about karlsson. karl's growth as a player is pretty unprecedented tbh. went from 45 to 78 points as a 21 year old defenseman. it would be kind of insane to see something similar out of boqvist

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
you know i had this thought when i was rereading my comment that someone would say this about karlsson. karl's growth as a player is pretty unprecedented tbh. went from 45 to 78 points as a 21 year old defenseman. it would be kind of insane to see something similar out of boqvist

I wouldn't expect Boqvist to put up EK-level numbers, but I think he'll be a great player in this league.

Reactions: jehkob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->