NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It seems Bouchard is separating himself from the other right shot Ds in this draft.

I'd be perfectly happy to see Ottawa leave the first rd with Bouchard RD or Wahlstrom C with their first pick & Noel Serron RW with there next 1st rd pick.
At least Button validates your ranking .. I am not saying he is not worthy,,. It's one man's ranking. He was not at the 5 nations cup. He was at the Olympics.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Bouchard is pretty great. The only thing that gives me pause is that he isn't as dynamic of a skater as the other top d.

Also Tkachuck has 29 points in 38 games. Hardly the stuffs of a top 4 pick. :/

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Craig's List: Bouchard rocketing up draft board - Article - TSN

1 Rasmus Dahlin Frolunda (SHL) D
2 Brady Tkachuk Boston U (NCAA) LW He loves Tkachuk
3 Andrei Svechnikov Barrie (OHL) RW
4 Filip Zadina Halifax (QMJHL) RW
5 Evan Bouchard London (OHL) D Bouchard over Boqvist, Dobson and Hughes gives you pause.
6 Adam Boqvist Brynäs (SWE J20) D
7 Barrett Hayton S.S. Marie (OHL) C Highest I've seen him
8 Noah Dobson A-Bathurst (QMJHL) D
9 Oliver Wahlstrom USA NTDP (USHL) C
10 Jesperi Kotkaniemi Ässät (SM Liiga) C
11 Bode Wilde USA NTDP (USHL) D
12 Quinn Hughes Michigan (NCAA) D Pretty low
13 Rasmus Kupari Kärpät (SM Liiga) C
14 Grigori Denisenko Yaroslavl (MHL) LW
15 Joel Farabee USA NTDP (USHL) LW
16 Serron Noel Oshawa (OHL) RW
17 Isac Lundestrom Luleå (SHL) C/LW
18 Rasmus Sandin S.S. Marie (OHL) D
19 Ty Smith Spokane (WHL) D Very low
20 Akil Thomas Niagara (OHL) RW
21 Jacob Olofsson Timra (SWE-Als) C
22 Jack McBain Toronto (OJHL) C
23 Filip Hallander Timra (SWE-Als) C/LW
24 Jared McIsaac Halifax (QMJHL) D
25 Nicolas Beaudin Drummondville (QMJHL) D
26 Ryan Merkley Guelph (OHL) D I might take a flyer on him with the Pens pick
27 Joe Veleno Drummondville (QMJHL) C I think he'll go higher..
28 Mattias Samuelsson USA NTDP (USHL) D
29 Albin Eriksson Skellefteå (SWE J20) LW
30 Ryan McLeod Mississuaga (OHL) C/LW
31 Benoît-Olivier Groulx Halifax (QMJHL) C
if veleno is there at our pick I would bet quite a bit hes taken with the Pittsburgh pick

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
if veleno is there at our pick I would bet quite a bit hes taken with the Pittsburgh pick
I don't think he will be, he's really pumped his value in the new year.

It's the usual Button Ranking with some really high guys and some really low guys. Tkachuk/Hayten and Velano are his Ryan Macinnis/Janakowski's and his Chabot's of this draft.

He gets some right, and looks good doing it. But he misses quite a few, but nobody remembers where he is off on ranking guys really low or really high.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Possibility is there to trade up with Pitts pick and get the guy we want in the top five. Outside of dahlin most likely

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Possibility is there to trade up with Pitts pick and get the guy we want in the top five. Outside of dahlin most likely

Sens fans deserve some luck. Hopefully we get some at the lottery and won't need to do that. Here's hoping! Maybe Bettman rigs it in our favour to get more fans coming to games, lol.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Does Serron Noel strike anyone else as the most "Sens" pick possible (with our late 1st)?

- Ottawa boy
- Shot up the rankings this year
- One of the youngest in the draft
- Big, fast & raw

Reactions: aragorn

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Does Serron Noel strike anyone else as the most "Sens" pick possible (with our late 1st)?

- Ottawa boy
- Big, fast & raw

You could probably take that to the bank if Bryan Murray was still GM of the team. Dorion seems less of a home town bias guy, but you never know.

Personally, I would only use the home town thing as the final straw in making a choice if I was absolutely torn on which player to take.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

- Ottawa boy
- Big, fast & raw

No thanks. Dude is so lazy and a pure puck hog who skates with his head down too often.

But yes there are some plausible connections

Reactions: TheCoach

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

- Ottawa boy
- Big, fast & raw

I think he'll be gone before the Pittsburgh pick, honestly. Lots of GM's out there love big guys who can skate.

I'd stay away though, from what I've seen I feel like he has all the tools but lacks the toolbox.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I really don't know anything about him besides what I said (which is all stuff I just read)

What are your general thoughts on him as a player? Is he a "Do not draft"? Do not draft in the 1st round?
We have enough "build a players" already. Last thing I want now is an undeveloped guy we hope gets it and breaks out in a few years. We already have Gagne/Brown to fit that mild.

Not every forward we draft needs to be big, draft some guys in the Fabbri/Aho/Frost mold. Not every forward we draft has to be over 6ft. I may be wrong, but the only forwards I can remember us drafting under 6ft over the past 5 or so years are Dahlen and Dunn. Obviously nothing to show for either of them.

Don't get me wrong, size is an asset. There are lots of very good sub 6ft skilled forwards available, and they are at a time that they can thrive in the NHL.

Obviously I'm not saying to target guys that are 5-11 or anything like that, but I'd much rather a smart, good skating forward than a guy like Noel at this point. Thomas/Lunderstrom/Denisenko/Bokk for example in his range.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There are a number of good PMDs that should be available in the 20-30 range:

Jared McIsaac
Calen Addison
Ryan Merkley
Bode Wilde
Rasmus Sandin
Jonny Tychonick
Jett Woo

Leaving the draft with Dobson/Bouchard/Smith/Boqvist/Hughes and one of the above guys would do wonders in terms of building towards a great backend in the future.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You could probably take that to the bank if Bryan Murray was still GM of the team. Dorion seems less of a home town bias guy, but you never know.

Personally, I would only use the home town thing as the final straw in making a choice if I was absolutely torn on which player to take.

I think it’s more because of the players he brought in trades or UFA (Methot, who else?) and not the picks... I mean outside of Ceci who was 15th OA, I don’t really remember that being a thing (I mean in reality outside of the HF narrative) when you look at Murray first 3 rounds (2008 to 2015)... with later picks (ex : Boro, Pageau), I would hope that a GM draft some guys from the area of the team as it develops sense of belonging (but who else fit that bill?)

I don’t know where that misconception has been created but that wouldn’t be the first one...

I actually think Murray had more of a Swedish bias when drafting and a West Canadian bias when acquiring players (drafting too)...

Seriously, outside of the 4 players I named (who are all decent to good), I can’t even remember other players from the Ottawa region who played here during Murray regime

Wait, maybe it’s because of very short stints from Richardson, Robitaille, Bell, Stillman and Picard? Again, not players drafted

the only thing left is for him to suffer from mono

Lazar is from BC

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think it’s more because of the players he brought in trades or UFA (Methot, who else?) and not the picks... I mean outside of Ceci who was 15th OA, I don’t really remember that being a thing (I mean in reality outside of the HF narrative) when you look at Murray first 3 rounds (2008 to 2015)... with later picks (ex : Boro, Pageau), I would hope that a GM draft some guys from the area of the team as it develops sense of belonging (but who else fit that bill?)

I don’t know where that misconception has been created but that wouldn’t be the first one...

I actually think Murray had more of a Swedish bias when drafting and a West Canadian bias when acquiring players (drafting too)...

Seriously, outside of the 4 players I named (who are all decent to good), I can’t even remember other players from the Ottawa region who played here during Murray regime

Wait, maybe it’s because of very short stints from Richardson, Robitaille, Bell, Stillman and Picard? Again, not players drafted

Lazar is from BC
mhhmm and white is from not-Ottawa and he had mono too... didn't lajoie also have mono in his draft year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad