NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Ok after watching some possible late round draft picks highlights. The one I want the most is Rasmus Kupari. God dam that kid got skill and speed to burn for the ages.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brady
Bouchard
Dobson
Hughes
Smith

The Dobson vs Bouchard debate rages on between me every day. I constantly flip flop

They are similar players in many ways. Both big smart RDs with puckmoving ability and big shots.

Dobson is ahead for me because of his superior skating ability. So important for defensemen at the NHL level when the game gets tighter.

I want the Sens to select one of them. Hopefully we don't keep winning meaningless games and put ourselves out of the position to do so.

Reactions: DJB

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The risk is too big if we offload some of our vets like we are speculated to do. The key to handling big risks is to mitigate them and the only way to do that is to defer the pick if we don't see gamebreaking talent still on the board. It makes no sense to draft a projected top 4 D and possibly throw away a franchise top line C next year. The risk is too real.
Sorry but I just couldn't disagree more with you. I think they have a unique opportunity this yr & they should take it & worry about next yr starting after this yr's draft.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Sorry but I just couldn't disagree more with you. I think they have a unique opportunity this yr & they should take it & worry about next yr starting after this yr's draft.

Agree to disagree. There's just too many catalysts on the horizon and I don't have too much faith in who is in charge of these decisions.

Reactions: aragorn

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Zero chance it happens, but wouldn't it be nice if Pitt went on a 10 game losing streak and missed the playoffs entirely? Would be awesome to have another lottery ticket.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Zero chance it happens, but wouldn't it be nice if Pitt went on a 10 game losing streak and missed the playoffs entirely? Would be awesome to have another lottery ticket.
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

More realistic to hope they don’t make it to the conference finals. If their pick is in the 20-25 range, that’s not awful.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It’s nice to see Dorion going full scout nowadays.

If there’s one area where we should all have our blinded faith in him, it’s scouting.

Wherever we end up, I trust that we’ll be adding someone he thinks can either be a top line D or F.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It’s nice to see Dorion going full scout nowadays.

If there’s one area where we should all have our blinded faith in him, it’s scouting.

Wherever we end up, I trust that we’ll be adding someone he thinks can either be a top line D or F.

He has no choice. We have no scouts.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I dont trust dorion that much as a scout. Karlsson doesnt give him a pass forever. He kind of botched our last rebuild with picks like cowen, puemps and noesen. I dont give a tonne of credit for late round picks. If dorion had any real inkling about stone and hoffman he would have never risked letting them slide so far down.

A scout that hits on his 7th rounders while missing his first rounders is just lucky.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yea I don't think Dorion is too great of a scout.

I mean we went through a massive slump from like 2011 to 2015 where we didn't draft a single star player.

Not to mention that the 2 star players we did get were zibanejad who was drafted 6th overall and Chabot who is arguably part of the greatest draft ever, where it was almost impossible to pick a bad player.

So yea, not really that impressive imo

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yea I don't think Dorion is too great of a scout.

I mean we went through a massive slump from like 2011 to 2015 where we didn't draft a single star player.

Not to mention that the 2 star players we did get were zibanejad who was drafted 6th overall and Chabot who is arguably part of the greatest draft ever, where it was almost impossible to pick a bad player.

So yea, not really that impressive imo
our head scout back then was not dorion though was it? wasn't it Lowes? or whatever his name was.

2011 was an incredible draft for us though.. zibanejad pageau cleassen dzingel..prince noesen mccormcik on top of that... that's a good draft.

2012 was a disaster

2013 was an odd one.

2014 whatever

2015 seems insane... cahbot white gagne chlapik wolanin jaros.... what else could you hope for

so yeah IN BETWEEN 2011 and 2015 there is this lull and im not sure why

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I dont trust dorion that much as a scout. Karlsson doesnt give him a pass forever. He kind of botched our last rebuild with picks like cowen, puemps and noesen. I dont give a tonne of credit for late round picks. If dorion had any real inkling about stone and hoffman he would have never risked letting them slide so far down.

A scout that hits on his 7th rounders while missing his first rounders is just lucky.
that last line is just craziness. im not sure how the dynamics of the office work but im sure some scouts actually only scout late round guys... and if they get those right its just luck?

Reactions: Sensinitis

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
our head scout back then was not dorion though was it? wasn't it Lowes? or whatever his name was.

2011 was an incredible draft for us though.. zibanejad pageau cleassen dzingel..prince noesen mccormcik on top of that... that's a good draft.

2012 was a disaster

2013 was an odd one.

2014 whatever

2015 seems insane... cahbot white gagne chlapik wolanin jaros.... what else could you hope for

Yea I meant in between.

Also we had like 11 picks it something in 2011, so while I'd say it was good. I wouldn't call it amazing.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Mentioned this before, not sure why Dorion is given so much credit. The majority of our early picks during Dorion's "scouting regime"have not turned out all that great, sure late picks have panned out, but I would agree, late picks often come down to luck. The Chabot/White draft may turn out to be his best but the rest have not been very good. The only local news article discussing Dorion's scouting prowess has quotes from his mother and a high school buddy, not sure I would put much stock into those sources.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I like Dominik Bokk with our 2nd pick. He's got unteachable skill and creativity.

Sadly, not a very Ottawa Senators pick.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

2012 was a disaster

2013 was an odd one.

2014 whatever

2012 produced a top 4 D in Ceci and a couple picks with good potential who didn't work out (Maidens because of injury, Wikstrand because of him being an idiot).

2013 was good outside of the 1st. Lazar was your classic character pick that the Sens scouting staff is so fond of. Still think he was rushed and he could have ended up a good bottom 6 guy had his development not been hampered and confidence not been crushed, but it was a low-upside pick that shouldn't have been made. Hogberg, Lindberg and Harpur are pretty good picks from rounds 3-4.

In 2014 we didn't have our high 1st, but it wasn't a great draft regardless. Englund, Perron and Summers aren't busts but are longshots at this point.

Worth noting that in the worst 3 drafts that this scouting staff has had, they were missing a high 1st and two mid-2nds. Had we kept those picks, the drafts might not look so bad after all.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Craig's List: Bouchard rocketing up draft board - Article - TSN

1 Rasmus Dahlin Frolunda (SHL) D
2 Brady Tkachuk Boston U (NCAA) LW He loves Tkachuk
3 Andrei Svechnikov Barrie (OHL) RW
4 Filip Zadina Halifax (QMJHL) RW
5 Evan Bouchard London (OHL) D Bouchard over Boqvist, Dobson and Hughes gives you pause.
6 Adam Boqvist Brynäs (SWE J20) D
7 Barrett Hayton S.S. Marie (OHL) C Highest I've seen him
8 Noah Dobson A-Bathurst (QMJHL) D
9 Oliver Wahlstrom USA NTDP (USHL) C
10 Jesperi Kotkaniemi Ässät (SM Liiga) C
11 Bode Wilde USA NTDP (USHL) D
12 Quinn Hughes Michigan (NCAA) D Pretty low
13 Rasmus Kupari Kärpät (SM Liiga) C
14 Grigori Denisenko Yaroslavl (MHL) LW
15 Joel Farabee USA NTDP (USHL) LW
16 Serron Noel Oshawa (OHL) RW
17 Isac Lundestrom Luleå (SHL) C/LW
18 Rasmus Sandin S.S. Marie (OHL) D
19 Ty Smith Spokane (WHL) D Very low
20 Akil Thomas Niagara (OHL) RW
21 Jacob Olofsson Timra (SWE-Als) C
22 Jack McBain Toronto (OJHL) C
23 Filip Hallander Timra (SWE-Als) C/LW
24 Jared McIsaac Halifax (QMJHL) D
25 Nicolas Beaudin Drummondville (QMJHL) D
26 Ryan Merkley Guelph (OHL) D I might take a flyer on him with the Pens pick
27 Joe Veleno Drummondville (QMJHL) C I think he'll go higher..
28 Mattias Samuelsson USA NTDP (USHL) D
29 Albin Eriksson Skellefteå (SWE J20) LW
30 Ryan McLeod Mississuaga (OHL) C/LW
31 Benoît-Olivier Groulx Halifax (QMJHL) C

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008

5 Evan Bouchard London (OHL) D Bouchard over Boqvist, Dobson and Hughes gives you pause.

If we could get veleno with Pittsburgh’s first...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

It seems Bouchard is separating himself from the other right shot Ds in this draft.

I'd be perfectly happy to see Ottawa leave the first rd with Bouchard RD or Wahlstrom C with their first pick & Noel Serron RW with there next 1st rd pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad