NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO they take Svechnikov at 2, Zadina at 3 ... if they are lucky enough to get one of those pick positions.
And Bodqvist at 4? If they don't get any of Tkachuk, Dahlin, Svechnikov or Sadina, I would hope they would select Bouchard but IMO they would lean towards Bodqvist to say they have another Karlsson coming should they trade Karlsson. :laugh:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Sens don't have a KHL scout. That's pretty well known.

The Melnyk - Russia thing really blew up after Russia invaded the Ukraine and Melnyk (of Ukranian descent) was hugely vocal against it. Since then, it's been specualated that the Senators won't draft a Russian player from the KHL.

The Kovalev signing was many years ago, well before the Russia-Crimea thing.

scheps

May 28, 2015
I'm not understanding the hate and talk about a low ceiling for Tkachuk. We saw him at the world juniors as a game breaker against competition his age and older and is having a good year at BU against players older than him. I can see him becoming a Wayne Simmonds or Marchand type top line sh!t disturber

Reactions: aragorn

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I'm not understanding the hate and talk about a low ceiling for Tkachuk. We saw him at the world juniors as a game breaker against competition his age and older and is having a good year at BU against players older than him. I can see him becoming a Wayne Simmonds or Marchand type top line sh!t disturber

I think people think there’s less offensive upside in a pest / grinder type.

I can admit, I was in that crowd, and may still be in it too. If Tkachuk goes 3rd overall, I think a GM teacher.

But after the top 3 (I think Zdina is just a little behind Svech) Tkachuk is right in the mix. Absolutely top 4-8 imo.

There’s very, very low probability he turns into a current day Marchand (ppg ++ player) but Simmonds / Matthew Tkachuk would be good value with a top 8 pick.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
And Bodqvist at 4? If they don't get any of Tkachuk, Dahlin, Svechnikov or Sadina, I would hope they would select Bouchard but IMO they would lean towards Bodqvist to say they have another Karlsson coming should they trade Karlsson. :laugh:

What do you like in Bouchard over Dobson.. I think Tkachuk will go 4 or 5 .. but there are enough solid choices to push him down below 5. Wahlstrom is also a possibility in the top 5.

2018 NHL Draft Prospect Profile: Oliver Wahlstrom
The U18 worlds will be good to catch in April.. particularly to watch Sweden and the USA.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
But should it be always about points? What about all the intangibles that a player like Tkachuk could bring do they not also add value? For example, causing a rukkus in front of the net, controlling the puck in the offensive zone, separating a player from the puck, intimidation, making room for teammates, screening the goalie & dogged determination may not always result in him getting pts but results in the team scoring. He could bring a lot of energy to the team.

Mark Stone does not lead the league in scoring but he has led the league in take aways before & does that not also have equal value? Tkachuk could be as valuable defensively as he would be offensively but he may not be as great a scorer as Svechnikov or Sadina but he could be much better defensively & those two could be liabilities defensively. Do you see what I mean? It could be that Tkachuk is the better all around player but not quite as good offensively so what is more valuable to Ottawa? Most people I think would prefer a dangler but Stone isn't a dangler & he has worked out just fine with Ottawa. Is Hoffman the dangler more valuable than Stone the good two way player? Ottawa could probably use both a Tkachuk type player & a Svechnikov type player & I have no idea who they will choose.

It's more about draft value. Would you take a goalie first overall in the draft? Would you take a grinder in the top 5, when there's a skilled player who has the potential to put up 70 points sitting waiting to be drafted? You can teach grindy and physical play....you can't teach skill.

Basically, you can get a skilled guy like Bobby Ryan to play a more physical game. You can't teach a Chris Neil how to get 30 goals in a season.

Reactions: Karl Prime

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Yeah, I just made myself grumpy. Good thing this happened today. I'm interviewing people tomorrow. Imagine I was grumpy Zorf in the interviews? Haha.

"Hello candidate. Please tell me how you would FIX THE STUPID SENATORS...sorry, I mean, how well do you work in a team atmosphere...BECAUSE THE SENATORS CAN'T SEEM TO FIGURE IT OUT....sorry again, EUGENE MELNYK CAN CHEW ON MY LEFT BUTT CHEEK!!...ok, I'm not apologizing for that one. Please answer the question."

First interview starts in 36 minutes!

I read more HF this morning. Poor sucker going first has no idea what's about to hit him.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Brady
Bouchard
Dobson
Hughes
Smith

The Dobson vs Bouchard debate rages on between me every day. I constantly flip flop
If that's all that remains on the board when we pick, send the pick to Joe Sakic.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's more about draft value. Would you take a goalie first overall in the draft? Would you take a grinder in the top 5, when there's a skilled player who has the potential to put up 70 points sitting waiting to be drafted? You can teach grindy and physical play....you can't teach skill.

Basically, you can get a skilled guy like Bobby Ryan to play a more physical game. You can't teach a Chris Neil how to get 30 goals in a season.

Of course, that is assuming that the so called skill guy reaches that level of production & we have seen countless examples of high draft picks who never reach their perspective potential. We've seen tons of junior & minor league so called goal scorers not produce in the NHL even though they were league leading goal scorers in other leagues. Wasn't Paarjarvi in his draft yr suppose to be a dynamic goal scorer & pt producer & now Ottawa has him playing on their 4th line. There are countless examples of top 10 skilled players not panning out & I'm quite aware how difficult it must be to project what a player will be at the NHL level. It's why it's somewhat understandable why a team goes with the so called safe pick because maybe they have been burned before. Of course, there are lots of examples going the other way too like Stone & Hoffman who if done today would probably be top 10 picks.

Tkachuk for example IMO would be a safer pick over a guy like Svechnikov, it's much more likely he turns into the same kind of player at the NHL level. While Svechnikov it is HOPED that he will be the dynamic scorer he is in junior, but he may not too. It's much more difficult to be a dynamic scorer in the NHL than in junior obviously. If Ottawa picks in the top 5, I hope that whoever they pick reaches his potential in the NHL & if we are lucky surpasses it. Btw I'm not promoting Tkachuk but just using him as an example, I honestly think they need another goal scoring RWer in this organization especially if Ryan is moved. Gagne plays RW but I see him more as a bottom six player. Good discussion.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What do you like in Bouchard over Dobson.. I think Tkachuk will go 4 or 5 .. but there are enough solid choices to push him down below 5. Wahlstrom is also a possibility in the top 5.

2018 NHL Draft Prospect Profile: Oliver Wahlstrom
The U18 worlds will be good to catch in April.. particularly to watch Sweden and the USA.
In all honesty I don't know much about Dobson except what I read about him& it reads like he could also be a very good defender, however, I have seen Boucher ranked higher on almost every poll I believe. I have seen Bouchard a few times now & he is a solid defender who quaterbacks the London PP & IMO looks to me to be a very good two way defenceman. If Chabot turns into the dynamic offensive defenceman we all think he can be than Bouchard would be an excellent partner for him in that he is big & strong defensively, can skate well & also brings some offensive ability. IMO they would make a dynamic tandem. He is different than Ceci in that I expect him to be better defensively & have a higher IQ offensively which is why I like him with Chabot, a guy who can read plays at high speed better. I like Ceci on the second pairing but he could use a partner like Bouchard on the left side.

Another guy I like but don't know as much about except what I read about him is Bode Wilde who is also a RD, big & strong & supposedly very good at both ends of the ice. I have seen Wilde on some polls ranked in the top 10 as well as higher. He would be a good replacement if we don't get Boucher or Dobson later with their 2nd 1st rd pick by trading up. I agree with your assessment & we may very well see a number of changes to the ranking during the draft, we always do & a couple of guys could sneak up into the top 10. Wahlstrom looks like a guy who could easily sneak into the top 5, very skilled player. IMO it would be a terrible idea not to keep this yr's draft pick on a hope of drafting higher next yr, it's a risk or bet that could too easily backfire. Pick a good player now while you can.

On Tkachuck, I just think him being a very good American player who played for the WJC American team with such a high profile makes sense to me anyway that if Buffalo does not win the lottery that they would take him next to help sell tickets. Regardless, IMO Ottawa need to keep this yr's pick because there are a number of players who could turn into very good players for Ottawa, if not dynamic players they could certainly fill some needs. They have a full yr afterwards to worry about the 2019 draft & lots could happen until then including some trades which could garner them a 2019 1st rd pick or two.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There is another point that we don't discuss as much & that is what this management team is thinking of doing. EM has said that they plan on putting more money into development & most of us & the talking heads understand this to mean they are rebuilding. However, this team again this yr is playing better with no pressure on them & you have to wonder if they intend to just tweak the team to stay competitive to hopefully increase sales. I'm not sure this fan base is in any way ready to accept a rebuild, at least on here, especially if it means moving Karlsson. They still need to sell tickets & try to put a decent team on the ice & PD has not said what they intend to do.

What would it take to make this team a playoff team? One or two good players or is it time to rebuild for the future to create a contender? IMO this all lies with what happens with Karlsson, if he is re-signed than I assume they plan to tweak the team & hope to make the playoffs next season. If he is traded than I assume there is a full rebuild in motion. This doesn't affect this yr's draft I don't think but it may affect next yr's draft depending on how the team performs early on next season with or without Karlsson.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's either that or a top 3 pick next year. Message should be irrelevant.
There is absolutely no guarantee in any way that Ottawa would be picking top 3 next season, heck the lottery could knock them down a notch or more. Placing your hopes on next season is a missed opportunity IMO, I think you have to take what you have now a potential top 5 or certainly a top 10 pick now rather than hope for something better next yr. I would be very surprised if Ottawa gives this yr's 1st rd pick to Col.

The Sens could easily be a better team next yr & while not making the playoffs could be in a position out of the top 10, IMO it's just too big a risk. Lots can happen between now & next yr's draft especially if Karlsson is traded a 2019 1st rd pick could be coming back. There are a multitude of possibilities that could happen to get Ottawa a 1st rd pick for next season, we see it every yr with trades. My guess is that an American team is going to want to draft Jack Hughes & will do everything they can to get him.

Reactions: pzeeman

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
There is absolutely no guarantee in any way that Ottawa would be picking top 3 next season, heck the lottery could knock them down a notch or more. Placing your hopes on next season is a missed opportunity IMO, I think you have to take what you have now a potential top 5 or certainly a top 10 pick now rather than hope for something better next yr. I would be very surprised if Ottawa gives this yr's 1st rd pick to Col.

The Sens could easily be a better team next yr & while not making the playoffs could be in a position out of the top 10, IMO it's just too big a risk. Lots can happen between now & next yr's draft especially if Karlsson is traded a 2019 1st rd pick could be coming back. There are a multitude of possibilities that could happen to get Ottawa a 1st rd pick for next season, we see it every yr with trades. My guess is that an American team is going to want to draft Jack Hughes & will do everything they can to get him.

The risk is too big if we offload some of our vets like we are speculated to do. The key to handling big risks is to mitigate them and the only way to do that is to defer the pick if we don't see gamebreaking talent still on the board. It makes no sense to draft a projected top 4 D and possibly throw away a franchise top line C next year. The risk is too real.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In all honesty I don't know much about Dobson except what I read about him& it reads like he could also be a very good defender, however, I have seen Boucher ranked higher on almost every poll I believe. I have seen Bouchard a few times now & he is a solid defender who quaterbacks the London PP & IMO looks to me to be a very good two way defenceman. If Chabot turns into the dynamic offensive defenceman we all think he can be than Bouchard would be an excellent partner for him in that he is big & strong defensively, can skate well & also brings some offensive ability. IMO they would make a dynamic tandem. He is different than Ceci in that I expect him to be better defensively & have a higher IQ offensively which is why I like him with Chabot, a guy who can read plays at high speed better. I like Ceci on the second pairing but he could use a partner like Bouchard on the left side.

Another guy I like but don't know as much about except what I read about him is Bode Wilde who is also a RD, big & strong & supposedly very good at both ends of the ice. I have seen Wilde on some polls ranked in the top 10 as well as higher. He would be a good replacement if we don't get Boucher or Dobson later with their 2nd 1st rd pick by trading up. I agree with your assessment & we may very well see a number of changes to the ranking during the draft, we always do & a couple of guys could sneak up into the top 10. Wahlstrom looks like a guy who could easily sneak into the top 5, very skilled player. IMO it would be a terrible idea not to keep this yr's draft pick on a hope of drafting higher next yr, it's a risk or bet that could too easily backfire. Pick a good player now while you can.

On Tkachuck, I just think him being a very good American player who played for the WJC American team with such a high profile makes sense to me anyway that if Buffalo does not win the lottery that they would take him next to help sell tickets. Regardless, IMO Ottawa need to keep this yr's pick because there are a number of players who could turn into very good players for Ottawa, if not dynamic players they could certainly fill some needs. They have a full yr afterwards to worry about the 2019 draft & lots could happen until then including some trades which could garner them a 2019 1st rd pick or two.

Dobson has been rising all year. Recent (March) draft lists by Hockey Prospect, Dobber and Jeff Marek from Sportsnet all have Dobson over Bouchard. re: basing it on Draft lists.

Sportsnet’s 2018 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: March - Sportsnet.ca
Cam Robinson’s 2018 NHL Draft Rankings : Top 100 – March 2018
HockeyProspect.com 2018 NHL Draft Rankings Top 70, March 6th, 2018 - HockeyProspect.com | 2018 NHL Draft

There are some pretty enticing D in this draft. Bode Wilde was ranked higher early, but has fallen off as the year has gone on. IMO if the Sens go with a forward early they will go for a D later and vice versa .. if they keep that pick. The top 3 picks look like they are locked in. We are seeing a lot of movement now in 4-10 with the same names moving up and down in that range.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I just feel very uncomfortable with the uncertainty facing the team going into 2019. It could very well be razed.

I don't think anyone is comfortable at this point... but imo we need to worry about this year this year and next year afterwards. A lot can happen including being really bad and giving up a lottery pick , but no one can predict the specific player we would get next year is better than the player we would get this year... IF its a lottery pick next year.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I doubt he will be available for our 2nd pick, but I am super intrigued by Bokk. Think he could be a similar player to Zibanejad - less size but better hands. That said, I havent seen him play other than on Youtube, so my read may be way off.

Either way, if he slips past the mid-teens, I think he has a good chance at being a steal of the 1st round.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
First interview starts in 36 minutes!

I read more HF this morning. Poor sucker going first has no idea what's about to hit him.

Guys! I didn't ask any of the candidates how they would fix the Sens.

I was professional!

I need to go pee now before I do a dookie in my pants.

Professional Zorf!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->