NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Crouse was drafted too high and was rushed to the league, but it's way too early to say he is a bust.

He's producing the same as White and Chlapik in the AHL this season, and they obviously aren't busts.

He'll probably carve out a career as a good bottom 6er in the Zack Smith mold.
I'm always nervous about big guys projected to go high. They tend to bully their way through teenagers in junior and then when they get to the nhl they don't have that advantage anymore.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That’s a bust tho..... the guy was a top 15 pic in one of the best first round ever. If he’s a good bottom 6er. That’s a bust.
That's a bad pick, not a bust.

Tyler Cuma is a bust.

Colton Teubert is a bust.

Mikeal Boedker was a bad pick.

Luke Schenn was a bad pick.

Crouse is closer to the latter than the former.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That's a bad pick, not a bust.

Tyler Cuma is a bust.

Colton Teubert is a bust.

Mikeal Boedker was a bad pick.

Like Schenn was a bad pick.

Crouse is closer to the latter than the former.
Well different definition of bust. I don’t think you’re only a bust if you don’t make it to the nhl.

If you don’t come close to expectations you’re a bust. If eichel ended up topping out as a third line center that’s a bust. IF chabot becomes a 7th d man who can only play PP reliably that’s a bust for me.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Svechnikov will be ready next year.

Have a feeling we’ll take Dobson with a top five pick, that’ll be unfortunate. Not a fan of his game to warrant him going that high.

Not convinced yet that Svechnikov should be in the NHL next year. Although I am a proponent of not rushing prospects.

As for Dobson no doubt we have him ranked high along with probably Evan Bouchard who I like more anyways.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Liam Foudy of the Knights might be a guy to keep an eye on.

7 points in his first 34 games this year (2017), and 31 points in 25 games in 2018 (since the Knights traded off Thomas, Pu, Jones, etc).

Some posters on the prospect board are comparing his development to that of Formenton's.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Liam Foudy of the Knights might be a guy to keep an eye on.

7 points in his first 34 games this year (2017), and 31 points in 25 games in 2018 (since the Knights traded off Thomas, Pu, Jones, etc).

Some posters on the prospect board are comparing his development to that of Formenton's.

Might be a 2nd round pick , as of now the Sens do not have a 2nd or a 3rd in 2018

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Hoping we acquire a 2nd or 3rd this year. Maybe trade down from the Penguins 1st to achieve that.

Knowing Dorion and Melnyk, the Sens will trade the PITT 2018 3rd rounder and OTT 2020 2nd rounder for an early 3rd round pick in 2018 with the other team agreeing to retain 35% of the ELC salary of whoever is drafted by the Sens.

High fives for everyone!

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Smells like a Dorion pick to me.
He's a Mann pick for sure.

Sens were extremely high on him before the season started when, for some reason or another, he was considered a 2nd/3rd round pick.

I'd imagine he's easily in their top 10, probably close to top 5.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Pierre Lebrun said on insider trading that its believed the Sens will consider giving the pick up this year at around 7th overall. Makes sense, that seems to be the general thought around here too.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Pierre Lebrun said on insider trading that its believed the Sens will consider giving the pick up this year at around 7th overall. Makes sense, that seems to be the general thought around here too.

Personally I would trade the pick if it's outside the top 4.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Well it wasn't quite that.. but close.. He said he talked to GMs and they felt it would be around 7,8,9 where they would consider giving up the pick.. IMO they pick 6 or or higher

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If they're willing to punt 7th overall it should give you a pretty good idea what management thinks next year's team will look like.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If they're willing to punt 7th overall it should give you a pretty good idea what management thinks next year's team will look like.
Pretty much seals the deal on what is going to happen, unfortunately

You don't give up a top 10 pick for a yet to be determined pick unless you are expecting to get a better pick. That should tell you what the Sens plan on doing his offseason.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
I tend to agree. Who's your 4th? I assume Boqvist.

Tkachuk, I think he's gonna be a very, very good NHLer, maybe as early as next year. With guys like Boqvist and Hugues it's like ok there's potential, but how many years down the road are we talking about?

IMO if we lose the lottery just say f*** it give them the pick cut our losses, play the lottery again next year. I won't lose any sleep missing out on a Dobson or a Wahlstrom.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

Except it's a risky decision because Anderson having a bounce-back season and Duchene, Stone, Hoffman, Chabot, and Ryan having good/great years and the team is by no means guaranteed to be bottom five.

In this situation Karlsson gets traded.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well it wasn't quite that.. but close.. He said he talked to GMs and they felt it would be around 7,8,9 where they would consider giving up the pick.. IMO they pick 6 or or higher

This. Didn't seem like he had any inside information, more just speculation. A lot of people were already asking that question on this board.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
HockeyProspect.com 2018 NHL Draft Rankings Top 70, March 6th, 2018 - HockeyProspect.com | 2018 NHL Draft
1: Rasmus Dahlin
2: Andrei Svechnikov
3: Filip Zadina
4: Adam Boqvist
5: Brady Tkachuk
6: Oliver Wahlstrom

7: Quintin Hughes
8: Joel Farabee
9: Noah Dobson
10: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

I would definitely take the pick if it falls like this top 6.. HockeyProspects is not a draft prediction.. Bouchard likely moves up imo. I like Hughes but not totally sold .. I could be wrong because he is uber talented. If we are 7th and all these guys are gone .. I think Dobson would deserve strong consideration over giving the pick away. So that's at least 7 picks for me.. before I'd give it up. Farabee I am not sure on .. Have to leave it to the scouts projection of him.

Giving the pick up is conditional for me , on trading EK.. If we are keeping EK and Hoff and retooling. I am keeping the pick and trying for the playoffs next year.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Except it's a risky decision because Anderson having a bounce-back season and Duchene,Stone, Hoffman, Chabot, and Ryan having good/great years and the team is by no means guaranteed to be bottom five.

Anderson is going to be 37YRs old before this season is over.

Shouldn't plan our moves expecting a rebound season from him.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Except it's a risky decision because Anderson having a bounce-back season and Duchene,Stone, Hoffman, Chabot, and Ryan having good/great years and the team is by no means guaranteed to be bottom five.

Not really risky. If it's 7th overall this year vs say 5% chance of Jack Hugues/45% top 10 pick/55% outside top ten next year, I take my chances on the second scenario.

Look historically at picks 5-10 it's really not that good. Not much better than later in the first round.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Anderson is going to be 37YRs old before this season is over.

Shouldn't plan our moves expecting a rebound season from him.
I think the right move is to plan for Anderson having a similar season in 2019. Either you're fully expecting to bomb or if you think the team will be competitive, find another goaltender to split starts with Anderson who can hopefully wrangle away the starting job.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If Ottawa gives up a 6-9 pick, chances are the only guy you mentioned that is guaranteed to be here next year would be Chabot.

At the same time, the team has been playing better. You can see the core is still decent. There really isn't a hockey reason to blow up the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->