NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The Senators do not need any scouts because they already have a GM with a crystal ball! :)

PS: those scouts must have got their ratings wrong.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I bet those two scouts had Tkachuk at 4

Not really how it works, an amateur scout will have his specific area then rate the players that they have watched and scouted all year long.

So for example you might have one of these hypothetical scouts in the northern US which would have Tkachuk on their list. Then the other scout might be from out west and he wouldnt have Tkachuk on his list at all as he didnt watch him. They dont include players they dont watch...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Senators do not need any scouts because they already have a GM with a crystal ball! :)

PS: those scouts must have got their ratings wrong.

Ah yes touche, they dont even need scouts anymore all the GM has to do is see the player once or twice and his evaluation will be spot on! I mean they are paying them 35 k a year, the money could be spent so much better, like they can up the puck budget for the season.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ah yes touche, they dont even need scouts anymore all the GM has to do is see the player once or twice and his evaluation will be spot on! I mean they are paying them 35 k a year, the money could be spent so much better, like they can up the puck budget for the season.

That’s what we need: more pucks! :)

I don’t envy the scouts, given all the driving they may do to get to Games and then go back home, cheap hotel rooms, spending evenings away from home, drinking bad coffee in cold arenas, etc.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Not really how it works, an amateur scout will have his specific area then rate the players that they have watched and scouted all year long.

So for example you might have one of these hypothetical scouts in the northern US which would have Tkachuk on their list. Then the other scout might be from out west and he wouldnt have Tkachuk on his list at all as he didnt watch him. They dont include players they dont watch...
ya it was just a joke

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

They do typically cross over to see guys not in their area though i thought but have limited viewings.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Does Trent Mann still scout the Q even as the chief scout? I wonder if that would increase the chances of getting Dobson.
Yes, especially in the Maritime Division. Not sure it increases the odds, but it was a reason he was a guy the Sens would be watching before the season started.

There is a reason we have been choosing so many guys who either play or are from the Maritimes since 2015 when Mann become prominent (Chabot/Chlapik/Bowers/Batherson). 4/17 of our picks, 3 played in the Maritimes, 2 are from the Maritimes. They loved Svechnikov (Cape Breton) in 2015 and Dubois (Cape Breton) was our guy all 2016, even before he rocketed up so much.

Reactions: DJB

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Mann may be the chief scout, but Dorion has been actively scouting the top talent in the draft.

Garrioch mentions who Dorion was scouting before the draft lottery results.
There’s no question Tkachuk is on the radar screen. Dorion was in Boston in March to watch him play but he’s also seen the likes of Halifax Mooseheads forward Pavel Zadina and Barrie Colts winger Andrei Svechnikov. Swedish defenceman Adam Boqvist, ranked second behind Dahlin, is also in the mix for the Senators.

The Ottawa Senators feel good about their prospects at No. 4

Boqvist may have concussion issues, so it will be touch and go if the Senators decide to take him at 4.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Mann may be the chief scout, but Dorion has been actively scouting the top talent in the draft.

Garrioch mentions who Dorion was scouting before the draft lottery results.

The Ottawa Senators feel good about their prospects at No. 4

Boqvist may have concussion issues, so it will be touch and go if the Senators decide to take him at 4.

Ah, of course, Pavel Zadina. Who is apparently a 27 year old soccer player. That would be a sneaky pick by Dorion, Ottawa is always ahead of the curve.

Reactions: Cosmix

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Will Joey Keane (OHL, RD) be around in the 4th round?

He was 4th amongst U-19 OHL DMen in points, behind Bouchard, Sandin and Merkley (all of whom should go in the 1st round). T-3 in goals. OHL 3rd team all-star. He's not huge like Bouchard but he is already pretty much NHL size (6'0, 185lb) and supposed to be a great skater. He is an over-ager but he's only in his 2nd OHL season and he's also only 3 months younger than Bouchard.

Not much regarding him on the draft rankings I've seen... here are some comments from OHL writers/scouts/twitterbois:

Brock Otten, who runs ohlprospects.blogspot.ca and rated him the #1 OHL over-age prospect:

Those who follow me on twitter will know how impressed I've been with Keane this season... potential impact defender at both ends. Last year, coming over from the USHL and playing for such a poor team, he just wasn't a noticeable player for the right reasons... exact opposite this season. #1 defender for one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference, emerged as one of the better defenders in the entire OHL... year younger than Durzi.

Not only named the top defensive defender in the Eastern Conference in the Coaches Poll, but also East's most improved.. a defender made for today's NHL. Smooth skater, can push the pace of attack, but also solid and dependable in his own end. Makes a great outlet pass, rarely seems to turn the puck over. Has a bit of a mean streak, he makes himself difficult to beat in all one on one situations... Keane is a former highly touted prospect who was one of the 17 players invited to the U.S. NTDP U17 tryouts a few years ago.. finally seems to have figured it all out. Complete package, teams would be crazy to pass on him again.

Plays all situations, big minutes and has a great ability to control play. Always generating offensive chances as well.
@ryannoble66

The second-year blue liner has taken his game to another level and has become one of the OHL's top point men. His ability to lead and support the rush has made him a force at both ends.
@GenePereira1

One of the OHL's better two-way defensemen and only a 1999.
@TheDraftAnalyst

This is the only recent clip I can find of him, it is pretty flattering

He looks to me like he could be our next Wolanin. Anyone else have any views of him?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Yes, especially in the Maritime Division. Not sure it increases the odds, but it was a reason he was a guy the Sens would be watching before the season started.

There is a reason we have been choosing so many guys who either play or are from the Maritimes since 2015 when Mann become prominent (Chabot/Chlapik/Bowers/Batherson). 4/17 of our picks, 3 played in the Maritimes, 2 are from the Maritimes. They loved Svechnikov (Cape Breton) in 2015 and Dubois (Cape Breton) was our guy all 2016, even before he rocketed up so much.

To add to this - a friend of mine works for an independent service and he told me back at the 2016 draft that a Sens scout told him that they had Dubois as the clear-cut #3.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Jimmy Blixt left on his own. Don’t know about Murray.

Justin Murray was our area scout, he was largely responsible for the Kelly Summers pick, I believe. He was the guy talking about him after the pick, at least. Summers was not signed but might, apparently, be brought to camp if he doesn't get an offer elsewhere. He performed pretty well at college.

He also (allegedly (but definitely)) made a few dozen mostly-incoherent posts on HF Sens way back, before he was employed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->