NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Pronman's ranking's are out to lunch compared to actual rankings, they only look at pure skill. Hence guys like Bracco, Merkley, Sprong, Ho-Sang, etc. being ranked so high on his lists, when in actuality they aren't near those rankings, nor should they be.

It's his personal list, so it's fine, but it shouldn't be used as any kind of Barometer.
Its my biggest gripe with Pronman. I call it click bait his ranking

Bouchard at 18 and Dobson at 20 is a joke. Pronman is as bad or worse than those awful nhl.com mock "analysts" lol

crazyroyal12

Aug 21, 2014
Ottawa
With the 4th OVR (Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina gone) I would be okay with any one of Kotkaniemi, Dobson, Bouchard, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Boqvist or Hughes. Preferably Kotkaniemi or Dobson. Zadina or Svechnikov would be the best case scenario in the event one of them was available.

With pick #22 the forwards in that range that interest me are Dominik Bokk, Jonatan Berggren, Martin Kaut and Jack Drury. I also like Denisenko but the Russian factor.
On defense I believe K’Andre Miller could be a steal as he has so much raw potential. I also wouldn’t mind Mattias Samuelsson as a safer bet.

Last edited:

R2010

May 23, 2011
Button was just on TSN 1040 and was asked about Dobson and said it will be touch and go if he makes it to 7 and that a good comparable for him at the NHL level would be John Carlson.

I'm not big on the 'comparables' game but suffice to say Button for all his sometimes wonky rankings does have a decent idea of where some players will go.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Where would you pick Tkachuk? Let's say we acquire a later pick, where would it have to be for you to deem Tkachuk the best option (or even just a good one)?
I think around 12 is where I'd consider him. Still lots of guys who'd I'd consider on par with him around there though. I wouldn't mind Hayton or Ty Smith over him for example.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I think around 12 is where I'd consider him. Still lots of guys who'd I'd consider on par with him around there though. I wouldn't mind Hayton or Ty Smith over him for example.

To me, he is a solid pick at 8 this year.

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi... all preferred (to me) above him.

Hard to know how it would actually go but would not be surprised to see MTL move back to #5 and take Kotkaniemi while ARZ gets Zadina. They probably don't want Zadina going to OTT and we're not known these days as being a team that drafts from Finland...

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi... all preferred (to me) above him.

Hard to know how it would actually go but would not be surprised to see MTL move back to #5 and take Kotkaniemi while ARZ gets Zadina. They probably don't want Zadina going to OTT and we're not known these days as being a team that drafts from Finland...

Mikko Ruutu is probably keeping a close eye on Kotkaniemi.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Lol Id laugh if Montreal does that then we draft Kotk.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting...

Pronman having Tkachuk 9th is apparently influenced by him being the oldest player in the draft. He said he'd have him higher if not for that, which is interesting given Pronman weighs his ranking very heavily on puck skills and skating. His rankings often have blind spots for players like Killington and Merkley, but his write-ups and comments on players are pretty decent imo.

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
no chance - kotkaniemi will get 3-4-5 draft pick ...

our firs pick tkachuk - wali- bo .... or if zadina drops...

bouchard-dobson-hughes meh...

second first raunded- if we need D - miller ideal pick - - wilde if drops or samuelsson..

forward- thomas- kravtsov - kaut - denisenko - or jonatan berggren :D

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That Kotkaniemi kid.....how much of his movement up the draft a factor of him being the top center in a defense-heavy draft?

Or is the kid really that good that he'd be considered a legit top 3-6 pick in most drafts?

R2010

May 23, 2011
That Kotkaniemi kid.....how much of his movement up the draft a factor of him being the top center in a defense-heavy draft?

Or is the kid really that good that he'd be considered a legit top 3-6 pick in most drafts?

He's pretty good. At U18s he was pretty dominant as a July birthday (2000) which is impressive. Noticeable on every shift. O-zone time driver as opposed to many top players who were just opportunistic. Depends on how he develops but he is pretty young so loads of potential to exceed my expectations for him (good 2nd line C).

He's the type of player who probably would go lower in a draft with more well-known C's who are North American (more heavily scouted) but should be in the top 10 given his size, age, hockey IQ and performance in a men's league and at U18s.

Last edited:

R2010

May 23, 2011
For what its worth. Dobson now has 2 goals, 5 assists in 3 games at the Memorial Cup.

Top 10 in scoring for a D-man in Memorial Cup in the modern NHL-era (post-2005). Only one of the other top 10 was an 18-year old (Juolevi, 2016) and he had 0 goals, 7 assists in 4 games playing with Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk and Jones.

But he's got a limited upside...:sarcasm:

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Man I can't believe Tkachuk won this and by so much. I would honestly rather us take any of those guys in that poll and Kotkaniemi before taking Tkachuk (my opinion). If I had to do a top 10 list of players in this draft, Tkachuk is 10th.

I guess that means Ottawa will take him

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
For what its worth. Dobson now has 2 goals, 5 assists in 3 games at the Memorial Cup.

Top 10 in scoring for a D-man in Memorial Cup in the modern NHL-era (post-2005). Only one of the other top 10 was an 18-year old (Juolevi, 2016) and he had 0 goals, 7 assists in 4 games playing with Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk and Jones.

But he's got a limited upside...:sarcasm:
In my opinion many are guilty of doing a reverse Karlsson on him. Just because he's big and good in his own end people are perceiving him to not be a talented offensive player.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
In my opinion many are guilty of doing a reverse Karlsson on him. Just because he's big and good in his own end people are perceiving him to not be a talented offensive player.
Meh most here seem to think every player that has size ,or even more the fact he is willing to use it...Means he is another Cowen.....

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Apparently there is a hubbub on the ol'twitter machine about how the Sens may have canned two scouts in the lead-up to the most important draft in many years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->