WJC: 2018 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Michnac is intriguing, I wonder if he's good enough to get an NHL contract or a late pick.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I'm not really sure with this team, hard to say how they will do, could be boom or bust, I'm leaning towards bust.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I think Safin will surprise quite a few people. He slipped in the draft because of what he has between his ears. He is also inconsitent and sometimes he is way too much of a solo player. But his talent is undeniable, 1st round upside. If he brings his best he can be dominant.
Yes exactly. I read an article about him that said he's the most underrated player in the draft. Oilers did really well to draft him. He's been impressive in what I've seen from him this year. Over ppg on a very subpar team. Expect him to play a big part for Czechs this year. Let's hope.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not really sure with this team, hard to say how they will do, could be boom or bust, I'm leaning towards bust.
Probably bust I agree. But should be fun to watch at least.
Low expectations are best and then if they surprise, great. They definitely have the talent to do it.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Probably bust I agree. But should be fun to watch at least.
Low expectations are best and then if they surprise, great. They definitely have the talent to do it.

As long as bust does not mean playing relegation, which I think is maybe a possibility, even with Belarus in the group, Belarus I think will not be a walkover like they were the last time, the Swiss don't have a huge standout, unless you consider Kurashev, but they look pretty solid overall, Czech's lost to Denmark and the Swiss last year, so anything could happen, Czech's have more talent, but they are young, as you said will hopefully be fun to watch.

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Michnac is intriguing, I wonder if he's good enough to get an NHL contract or a late pick.

He is very skilled, but very complicated. Takes stupid penalties and sometimes hangs on the puck too long than he should, but I like his game. Bad body language, looks lazy in the defensive zone which is something what scouts dont want to see.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
He is very skilled, but very complicated. Takes stupid penalties and sometimes hangs on the puck too long than he should, but I like his game. Bad body language, looks lazy in the defensive zone which is something what scouts dont want to see.

Thanks.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
He is playing 13:10 per game and definitely not a lot of PP time.
Not according to the article.
I checked and he played 21 minutes last game, 17 the game before that, and then 16 before that.. he seems to gradually be getting more minutes lately anyways. Hopefully that continues

Last edited:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
18' draft is shaping up to be the best for Czech's in a very long time, even though 17' had 2 1rd picks and 18' looks to have just 1, lots of Czech's are ranked to go in R2.

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Not according to the article.

Its wrong.

I checked and he played 21 minutes last game, 17 the game before that, and then 16 before that.. he seems to gradually be getting more minutes lately anyways. Hopefully that continues

Thats true, but 3-4 games are not the whole season (also 21m game was only because 5min penalty and because the game was decided after 2 periods). He would not get that time if the game was on the line. Not even Necas gets that much (and he is the leader of the U20 forwards in Extraliga). Galvas leads all the U20, almost 20m per game.

Kaut played mostly 3rd-4th line the whole season. Pardubice didnt want to send him down to Litomerice (Pesan would love to have all players in Litomerice to get used to their roles and get some PP/PK experiences).

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Its wrong.

Thats true, but 3-4 games are not the whole season (also 21m game was only because 5min penalty and because the game was decided after 2 periods). He would not get that time if the game was on the line. Not even Necas gets that much (and he is the leader of the U20 forwards in Extraliga). Galvas leads all the U20, almost 20m per game.

Kaut played mostly 3rd-4th line the whole season. Pardubice didnt want to send him down to Litomerice (Pesan would love to have all players in Litomerice to get used to their roles and get some PP/PK experiences).
Ok thank you for the information. What's the situation with Litomerice? Is it all younger players there? Is Pesan coaching it?

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Ok thank you for the information. What's the situation with Litomerice? Is it all younger players there? Is Pesan coaching it?

Nope, they are coached by Milos Riha jr who is now with U19 as a head coach.

It didnt work out the way it should. Extraliga teams wanted their guys with the team even when those guys didnt play or only had limited roles. Kloucek had 10 games, Kvasnicka played 12 games there, Doudera 3, Buchtela 5. Only D who was a regular in Litomerice is Jerabek, but he is pretty bad.

If we are talking about forwards, Helt was a regular guy 26 games, Kodytek 9, Machala 3, Hrabik 2 and Pavlik 2.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Would love to see Kondelik and Kurovsky fighting for a 4th line spots.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Hes a great player. Sad to hear he only plays 6 minutes a game. I just can't comprehend that.
Today only 4:44. It's strange, especially when from that 12 games only Baranka and Roman have more points. It seem most of Czech teams think that young undoubtedly mean bad, for whatever reason.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Today only 4:44. It's strange, especially when from that 12 games only Baranka and Roman have more points. It seem most of Czech teams think that young undoubtedly mean bad, for whatever reason.
Seriously? Czech hockey will never get to the level of Sweden or Russia with this stupid mentality

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Seriously? Czech hockey will never get to the level of Sweden or Russia with this stupid mentality
You can't be mad at players going oversea with this mentality of Czech teams. It's shame players like Zadina must play in QMJHL, because they didn't get chance here. Only Necas and Galvas, maybe Kaut are exception.

Last edited:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Let's say they finish 3rd in the group behind Sweden and Russia, there is a decent chance that they will play Canada or the US in the QF, don't like those matchups, even Finland could be tough, if they play Canada I say they have very little chance, the other teams a tiny bit more but not much, basically they have to win the group to avoid a bad matchup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad