WJC: 2018 Czech Republic Roster Talk

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
The preliminary roster consisting of 27 players:

That team looks good.. only surprise omission for me is kondelik but I can live with that. Considering there are 9 other 99's and 1 2000 in Lauko. That makes me like Pesan already... Prerost would have loaded the team with 98's all over. No matter how bad they are.
Interesting to see Kral there. Didn't really expect that. But nice to see anyways and I hope he makes the team. I kind of forgot about Hrabik.. would be interesting to see him make the team. I'd like to see how he can do. Would be really good exposure for him

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
The nomination seems fine to me.

I wonder if Lauko makes the team. Hope that he will.

The team is OK, doesn't have much depth, especially in the offense - there is no quality 98 forward. On the other hand, lots of quality underage players, half of this roster can play next year also and it is the more talented half.
I predict quarterfinal loss but hope for some good quality matches with the teams from TOP6.
I agree.. especially if Chytil can't go..
Even without him the top 6 looks pretty good. Zadina, Necas, and Safin will all have to really step up for us to do anything. Skarek will also have to stand on his head.
But like you said. Would love to see them be competitive with the big guns. Like losing by maybe 1 or 2 goals instead of 6 haha

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
That team looks good.. only surprise omission for me is kondelik but I can live with that. Considering there are 9 other 99's and 1 2000 in Lauko. That makes me like Pesan already... Prerost would have loaded the team with 98's all over. No matter how bad they are.
Interesting to see Kral there. Didn't really expect that. But nice to see anyways and I hope he makes the team. I kind of forgot about Hrabik.. would be interesting to see him make the team. I'd like to see how he can do. Would be really good exposure for him
Kondelik still have a chance, he is with U19 at World Junior A Hockey Challenge. He can be there after the tournament end. Same with Brizgala/Kloucek at goalie position.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
The nomination seems fine to me.

I wonder if Lauko makes the team. Hope that he will.

The team is OK, doesn't have much depth, especially in the offense - there is no quality 98 forward. On the other hand, lots of quality underage players, half of this roster can play next year also and it is the more talented half.
I predict quarterfinal loss but hope for some good quality matches with the teams from TOP6.

I feel the same about this team. The year to medal is the next one. Unless someone from the big three (Zadina, Chytil, Necas) becomes NHL regular (which is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it) that team will be really good. Regarding Lauko, I watched a semi-interview with Pesan today and he said that there are some things he doesn't like about him (low discipline) but despite that he will likely take him. Maybe only as an extra forward, but still.

I expected Kral to be there, he's doing well in the WHL. Kondelik and basically any other player from the U19 that is gonna play at the World Junior A tournament can be added.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I feel the same about this team. The year to medal is the next one. Unless someone from the big three (Zadina, Chytil, Necas) becomes NHL regular (which is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it) that team will be really good. Regarding Lauko, I watched a semi-interview with Pesan today and he said that there are some things he doesn't like about him (low discipline) but despite that he will likely take him. Maybe only as an extra forward, but still.

I expected Kral to be there, he's doing well in the WHL. Kondelik and basically any other player from the U19 that is gonna play at the World Junior A tournament can be added.

I guess a camp invite makes sense for sure. Kral has been decent no doubt..
Might be hard for him to make the team though. Considering we have 6 pretty clear guys ahead of him I think. But I guess no one's really that offensive. So he could get in because of that.
Definitely would like to see him there..

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I guess a camp invite makes sense for sure. Kral has been decent no doubt..
Might be hard for him to make the team though. Considering we have 6 pretty clear guys ahead of him I think. But I guess no one's really that offensive. So he could get in because of that.
Definitely would like to see him there..
6 guys clearly ahead of him? I see Hajek, Vala and Galvas as nearly locks to make the team. But the rest is up for grabs for anyone to take. Kvasnicka, Hrdinka and Budik making it last year doesn't secure them anything. None of those three is having a good season. Kvasnicka is seeing significanly less ice time than last year, Hrdinka isn't playing much either and Budik is having a really terrible season, producing at similiar pace to what he has in his rookie season...
I think Kral will make, he is more skilled that most of defensemen invited.

By the way the only right-handed defenseman is Filip Haman, who I must admit is an unknown to me.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
6 guys clearly ahead of him? I see Hajek, Vala and Galvas as nearly locks to make the team. But the rest is up for grabs for anyone to take. Kvasnicka, Hrdinka and Budik making it last year doesn't secure them anything. None of those three is having a good season. Kvasnicka is seeing significanly less ice time than last year, Hrdinka isn't playing much either and Budik is having a really terrible season, producing at similiar pace to what he has in his rookie season...
I think Kral will make, he is more skilled that most of defensemen invited.

By the way the only right-handed defenseman is Filip Haman, who I must admit is an unknown to me.
I 100% agree with you. I would take Kral over any of those 3. But Czech coaches dont think that way. The older players usually get picked first. I've always predicted the younger(better) players to get selected and then they get cut...
I thought Hajek should have made the team last year. He was better than half of them.
So my point is, I never predict the young guys to make it.
Zboril didnt make it at 17 either.
This year though, You're right. He should make it.
You also forgot about Salda. He's got to be pretty close to a lock. Been very impressive so far in Saint Johns... 22 pts in 30 gms on the worst team in the league.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Zadina- Chytil- Necas
Lauko- Reichel- Safin
Kurovsky- Michnac- Kaut
Helt- Hrabik- Pavlik
Zachar

Hajek- Budik
Vala- Galvas
Hrdinka- Kvasnicka
Kral

Skarek
Korenar

Just projecting but that’s what I’d send over, lines are debatebale but if Zadina-Chytil-Necas are all together and Skarek plays as well as I think he will, they could carry this team further than a lot suspect.

Samuel Desbiens

Dec 5, 2017
Quebec City, Quebec
This team is interesting, seriously. With some really good young forward up front like Zadina, Safin, Necas and Chytil, they are gonna be able to create more offense.

It seems to be a good D core even if there is no real big names. Hajek, Budik and Vala should be able to bring this team to another level.

I do not know their goalies, but they will have some help up front, no doubt about it.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The Czech's, look good on paper sometimes, like this time and last time, but when it comes to playing they don't quite cut it, haven't got a medal or been in a medal game since 05', that's insane.

Reactions: Wooren

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
The Czech's, look good on paper sometimes, like this time and last time, but when it comes to playing they don't quite cut it, haven't got a medal or been in a medal game since 05', that's insane.
Yeah it is. One would have thought that during all those years they would at least once "overachieve" and make the semifinals. Both Swiss and Slovaks managed to do that twice in the timespan iirc.
Czech U20 just plays crap year after year no matter what the roster or coach is.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah it is. One would have thought that during all those years they would at least once "overachieve" and make the semifinals. Both Swiss and Slovaks managed to do that twice in the timespan iirc.
Czech U20 just plays crap year after year no matter what the roster or coach is.

Czechs have only been decent "on paper" since 2012. (Petr Mrazek sensation). The 5 years years before that, they were brutal.
Since 2012 though, the Swiss have never made a Semi-final and only had 1 or 2 years where they had half decent results against some stronger opponents. The rest were very forgettable.

Slovaks on the other hand, won a bronze in 2015 in that time span. A fantastic result . They also didnt have the most challenging path getting there though (could be argued). ..But again, every other year they were pretty bad. their 2014 team was fun to watch though..

So anyways, its not as bad as it feels. We've been terrible no doubt, but our "on paper" teams, have not ever matched up to any of the Big 5. Those Czech teams only seemed good to us because of how bad we were the 5 years prior. Like really bad...

Out of the last 6 years I would only label 1 Czech team as"good" on paper. Thats last years team believe it or not... Every other year was just "Ok". Why? because last year, we were balanced for the first time. Offense, defense, and goaltending all looked pretty good.(by czech standards) The other years we were always weak in some area. Mostly defense. That was also part due to coaching and poor team selection.
Conclusion... It's hard to say we should have done better. Luck could have gone our way in 2 of the 6 QF matches maybe, (Russia 2012 and Finland in 2014).

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Czechs have only been decent "on paper" since 2012. (Petr Mrazek sensation). The 5 years years before that, they were brutal.
Since 2012 though, the Swiss have never made a Semi-final and only had 1 or 2 years where they had half decent results against some stronger opponents. The rest were very forgettable.

Slovaks on the other hand, won a bronze in 2015 in that time span. A fantastic result . They also didnt have the most challenging path getting there though (could be argued). ..But again, every other year they were pretty bad. their 2014 team was fun to watch though..

So anyways, its not as bad as it feels. We've been terrible no doubt, but our "on paper" teams, have not ever matched up to any of the Big 5. Those Czech teams only seemed good to us because of how bad we were the 5 years prior. Like really bad...

Out of the last 6 years I would only label 1 Czech team as"good" on paper. Thats last years team believe it or not... Every other year was just "Ok". Why? because last year, we were balanced for the first time. Offense, defense, and goaltending all looked pretty good.(by czech standards) The other years we were always weak in some area. Mostly defense. That was also part due to coaching and poor team selection.
Conclusion... It's hard to say we should have done better. Luck could have gone our way in 2 of the 6 QF matches maybe, (Russia 2012 and Finland in 2014).

Well the Slovaks had to beat the Czech's to get to a medal game.

On paper sometimes the Czech's match the Fins no doubt, like last year, Russia's team the last 2 years have been comparable too.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Well the Slovaks had to beat the Czech's to get to a medal game.

On paper sometimes the Czech's match the Fins no doubt, like last year, Russia's team the last 2 years have been comparable too.
Yes but the Czechs were just "OK". And the swedes looked very unmotivated in the bronze medal game..not trying to take anything away from them though. They fully deserved it. It's just... meh
Czechs have had to play much tougher opponents in QF. And have also made more QF appearances.
Finland in 2014, we should have beat. They went on to win the Gold. That year we looked good and anything could have happened in the semi.
I'm not excusing the bad results but I'm just saying based on a few things I've mentioned, it's no real surprise we've done nothing. And Swiss and slovaks haven't done a whole lot more.

Tbaywingfan

Oct 19, 2013
Who on here is currently a drafted NHL prospect?

Necas ( CAR)
Chytil ( NYR)
Safin ( EDM)
Helt ( STL)
Hajek ( TB)
Vala ( DAL, undrafted but has signed an ELC)
Budik ( BUF)
Galvas ( CHI)

Also, the likes of Zadina, Skarek and Lauko, and Kral will be drafted this year.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Yes but the Czechs were just "OK". And the swedes looked very unmotivated in the bronze medal game..not trying to take anything away from them though. They fully deserved it. It's just... meh
Czechs have had to play much tougher opponents in QF. And have also made more QF appearances.
Finland in 2014, we should have beat. They went on to win the Gold. That year we looked good and anything could have happened in the semi.
I'm not excusing the bad results but I'm just saying based on a few things I've mentioned, it's no real surprise we've done nothing. And Swiss and slovaks haven't done a whole lot more.

The Czech's should have beaten the Slovaks that year no doubt, a very tough loss for Czech hockey.

I felt they should have had a better game vs. the US in 16' where they lost 7-0, just brutal.

Well the Swiss and Slovaks are never thought of as making medal game with their rosters, unless they have a really top prospect on their team, they don't have much chance.

Having said that they did alright vs. Canada last year, so there are some positive signs finally.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
The Czech's should have beaten the Slovaks that year no doubt, a very tough loss for Czech hockey.

I felt they should have had a better game vs. the US in 16' where they lost 7-0, just brutal.

Well the Swiss and Slovaks are never thought of as making medal game with their rosters, unless they have a really top prospect on their team, they don't have much chance.

Having said that they did alright vs. Canada last year, so there are some positive signs finally.
To be honest Czech hockey dodged a much bigger hit in 2015, relegation group (with realistic scenario of actually getting relegated). Loss to Slovaks was bad, but if it wasn't for Russia pretty much "selling" their game against the Czechs, who knows what would have happened.
That 7-0 blowout was a really sour ending to otherwise a somewhat okay showing. But even here Czechs struggled really hard against Slovakia and even Belarus.
Didn't see the QF against Canada, but I heard they got outplayed for most of the time. Not exactly a good sign despite an "acceptable" result.

In other news, Jachym Kondelik will be added to the U20 camp replacing Ondrej Machala, who suffered an injury. Not that I expected Machala to make the team anyway, but despite what his stats say, he has some real speed and skill. Legitimate contender for next year's squad.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
CZE seem to have a really quality team this year, I like them more this year than some years in the past when some have said they've had a good team(and ended up not succeeding). Hope Chytil is ok after that hit, haven't heard any news on that since. I think CZE could be better than Russia TBH. Though Russia always seems to be underestimated by the North American fans(due to generel lack of KHL knowledge, only the top KHL /drafted guys really get much fanfare) there aren't a lot of names projected on Russia that really scare me. I think the Czechs may have more.

That being said I still think they're a leg behind the top 4 teams and even with 2nd in their group they'll likely get 1 of CAN/USA/FIN in the QF so we'll see. I'm more optimistic about this Czech team than I have been recently though.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
To be honest Czech hockey dodged a much bigger hit in 2015, relegation group (with realistic scenario of actually getting relegated). Loss to Slovaks was bad, but if it wasn't for Russia pretty much "selling" their game against the Czechs, who knows what would have happened.
That 7-0 blowout was a really sour ending to otherwise a somewhat okay showing. But even here Czechs struggled really hard against Slovakia and even Belarus.
Didn't see the QF against Canada, but I heard they got outplayed for most of the time. Not exactly a good sign despite an "acceptable" result.

In other news, Jachym Kondelik will be added to the U20 camp replacing Ondrej Machala, who suffered an injury. Not that I expected Machala to make the team anyway, but despite what his stats say, he has some real speed and skill. Legitimate contender for next year's squad.

It was a big win over Russia, great for Czech hockey.

The 7-0 year though they had close games with Russia and Finland.

They were in the Canada game for a good portion, getting outplayed by Canada is not a bad sign, Canada were big favs, I thought Canada would probably crush the Czech's but it was much closer.

Reactions: czechcanadian

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Největší akce dosavadní kariéry. Na klíčovou roli jsem připraven, hlásí Kaut | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje

According to Martin Kaut, Coach Pesan said he will likely play with Martin Necas.
Also, Kaut has been recovering well from his injury and is playing around 21 minutes per game (amazing) for Pardubice plus a lot of power play time.
Pesan will be relying on him a lot.. and will put him on the 1st PP unit for Czechs as well.
This is good news. Should raise his draft stock if he does well in that role. Has been really good with the Czech U-20's all year. So it's not that surprising. Most points of anyone. Will be really interesting to see how he does.. especially with Martin Necas and possibly Filip Chytil ..

Last edited:

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Safin is one to watch if people don't know him yet.
I think Safin will surprise quite a few people. He slipped in the draft because of what he has between his ears. He is also inconsitent and sometimes he is way too much of a solo player. But his talent is undeniable, 1st round upside. If he brings his best he can be dominant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad